Why can't I see attachments in Windows 10 Mail app?

Nic_Leigh

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I have an HP Pavilion x360, recently upgraded to Windows 10 Creators Update. I wasn't using the Mail app before the upgrade, but since other Windows 10 apps were working so well I decided to give it another chance.

I've enjoyed it until I realized that I couldn't see attachments. No paper clip, no other kind of indication that an attachment exists, nothing. The only reason I knew there should be attachments to one particular e-mail was because the e-mail itself mentioned attachments.

I opened up Gmail in Edge and I could see the attachments clear as day.

After some searching I tried two possible solutions: one, I re-selected "Mail" as the default app in my settings. That didn't work. I also tried running the Windows app troubleshooter. That didn't work either.

So, anyone have any other ideas? Is this a known bug? I saw references to it being a known bug but that was back in 2015. Is this a Creators Update bug or has it long existed?

(and, of course, if it's long existed, why hasn't it been fixed by now?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I have an HP Pavilion x360, recently upgraded to Windows 10 Creators Update. I wasn't using the Mail app before the upgrade, but since other Windows 10 apps were working so well I decided to give it another chance.

I've enjoyed it until I realized that I couldn't see attachments. No paper clip, no other kind of indication that an attachment exists, nothing. The only reason I knew there should be attachments to one particular e-mail was because the e-mail itself mentioned attachments.

I opened up Gmail in Edge and I could see the attachments clear as day.

After some searching I tried two possible solutions: one, I re-selected "Mail" as the default app in my settings. That didn't work. I also tried running the Windows app troubleshooter. That didn't work either.

So, anyone have any other ideas? Is this a known bug? I saw references to it being a known bug but that was back in 2015. Is this a Creators Update bug or has it long existed?

(and, of course, if it's long existed, why hasn't it been fixed by now?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I don't use the Mail app. Too rudimentary.

See if this helps :
Open Mail app > bottom left, click the gear icon (settings) > right side, click Reading > under External Content heading, see if your email account is listed > make sure "Automatically download external images " is ON.

Mail app ... External content.png

Nic_Leigh

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually had "Apply to all accounts" checked, but I unchecked it and selected "Gmail" from the drop-down menu. Unfortunately that didn't do the trick. Still no attachments showing.

Thanks anyway. I might just have to give up and go back to using webmail. I'm not really sure why I wanted to use the Mail app... I guess I just like trying out new and shiny things, ha!

Nic_Leigh

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Fair enough, haha. It's just that one of the things I enjoy about using Windows is being able to have the same experience between mobile and PC. I use the Mail app on my phone and I wanted to use it on my laptop too. But again, no real reason to use it on my PC, webmail works perfectly well, no issues whatsoever. (I have it pinned to my Start menu so I can at least pretend I'm using an app... lol)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon