how to export text messages to pc from my lg lancet phone

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

i am trying to send my text from my phone to my pc. I can't seem to find a way to do this

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
If it's the Windows Phone 8.1 version of the Lancet, the contacts+message backup app (free) says it will "backup" the text messages into an XML format to an SD card. Specs for the Lancet indicate it has an SD card slot. I'm sure the file could be copied off the SD card to a PC via a USB cable to the phone or by removing the SD card and accessing it with a PC using an adapter or built in reader. I don't know how easy it would be for a person to read the texts in that format. The app seems to be more interested in being able to restore the messages to another WP. I've never used the app, so can't vouch for it.

Update: I just installed the app and it did backup my contacts and almost 10,000 text messages. As I suspected, its not formatted for human reading. here is an example of one SMS (with phone number redacted):

-<Message>
-<Recepients>
<string>+nnnnnnnnnnnn</string>
</Recepients>
<Body>Still on for this afternoon?</Body>
<IsIncoming>false</IsIncoming>
<IsRead>true</IsRead>
<Attachments/>
<LocalTimestamp>131063382356260000</LocalTimestamp>
<Sender/>
</Message>

The backup files were stored on my SD card in a folder named backup+restore and subfolder smsbackup. I was not asked where to store the file but the app description says it can write to the phone's internal storage or an SD card so apparently it will put it on the SD card if present and possibly internal storage if no SD card is present.

I was able to email the file to myself and open the email on my PC. I could also just copy the file to my PC after connecting it with a USB cable. My phone is different and I'm on WM10 so YMMV.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss