Thinking to buy Surface 3

anon(10242418)

May 19, 2017
Visit site
For a reason I don't know I can't reply with quote. Thank for the answers. I want to use it main for college stuff and I don't have the money for Surface Pro 4. I want to read PDF and edit office with the help of Pen. Also I want browsing. Do you know guys how is the battery life also and if I could have the option to get Windows 10 s with it? Thank you in advance

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I have no experience with the surface range, but I will say that 4gb makes quite a big difference versus 2 in windows. For office docs etc, I wouldn't worry too much about the CPU.

If you wanna save dosh, there is a crowdfunding campaign for the surbook, by budget tablet maker Chuwi, which is basically a cheaper alternative using some similar components (such as the surface book screen). It's definitely going to have some corners cut versus the pro range (like Apollo lake), but on a budget stuff like this is kinda gold. For example, this has 6gb of ram, great screen, huge battery and both c and a usb ports. Cannot speak for the quality of the keyboard, wifi or speakers without review however. But I think it'll be decent.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/chuwi-surbook-affordable-2-in-1-intel-pc-tablet--3#/

There is also the:

Teclast X3 Plus
Chuwi Hi13
Acer spin and switch models,

all of which should be a bit cheaper than surface 4 or new SP. Just remember to check reviews of those so you know where the compromises are made to get it cheaper.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I use my Surface 3 daily. It all depends on what you use if for. Its under powered. Its perfect for web surfacing, MS Office, emails, calendar, etc. I've NEVER had any problems with any of the updates it has received since I got mine.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't get a Surface 3 since Atoms don't perform nearly as good as chips used for Surface Pro 3 and Surface Pro 4. I'd go at least for a Surface Pro 3 if I were you though, maybe even for Surface Pro 4 since the prices will probably drop even more.

Trust me, I have an Atom 2-in-1 and I end up being frustrated every time I use it, last time I tried to use it was when I wanted to update it to the latest insider build and for some reason it didn't want to install the build and I was just about to throw it outta my window but then I remembered that I have those anti-mosquito nets installed on the windows so it wouldn't end up too well.

TL;DR Don't buy an Atom powered device - I feel bad for buying one.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Thank you all the good answers guys. I guess I'm going to think it.

In my honest opinion I'd pass on the Surface 3. I have one lying around and it's still a great device but its performance is underwhelming for how expensive it still is. Surfaces hold their value surprisingly well. There are plenty of other budget options that might suit you more. Heck, even the Pro 3 can be found for a great price if you look hard enough.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Etphoto how is the battery?

Battery life is decent but not incredibly amazing. And charging is extremely slow and cumbersome, even with the included charger.
Honestly the worst part about the Surface 3 isn't its performance, because you can get over that if you need to, but the slow charging and only decent battery life. That combination makes it a little frustrating sometimes.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I would pass on the surface 3. Too outdated.

Either look at one of the alternatives mentioned above or, wait a bit, as the new Surface Pro starts to sell, I'm sure the price of the surface pro 4 will start to drop and you can get the m3 version.

anon(10242418)

May 19, 2017
Visit site
So I made the decision to buy an android cheap tablet, Lenovo Yoga tab 3 8". I know it isn't a powerful device, but it isn't a big investment and I already have a mid range laptop which **** me off with It's speed. Also, I can have some needed apps, which I haven't in my Lumia 950. Next year when I will start to make my own money I will think it again for a Surface. My first move will be to Microsoftize it with all the Microsoft apps and shut down Google services (except Google Play). Also it has all Pen support, which is a selling point for me. My only need is Microsoft to bring edge to Google Play, cause I don't use chrome. Thank you all guys for your help. Have a nice weekend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasha963