Can I refuse the new Windows 10 Creators Update?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I don't want or use the new material being sent in the update. I just want a basic system, no games, social media and especially the Cordillia or whatever it's called feature. It took forever to turn it off the last time.

Mike Levelchek

Sep 7, 2017
Visit site
It appears that, as designed, you CANNOT decline the update. It will allow you to postpone it a half dozen times or so, but after that it acts as a sort of malware, taking over your computer screen and preventing access to your open programs. The only option is to either:

(A) Continue with the update, at which point it demands that you agree with their privacy violations, or;

(B) Hit Control-Alt-Delete and log out and then log back in. Obviously, at that point, you have lost any open work and are still subject to have the think take over your computer again.

In regards to the update's privacy violation, I am referring to the fact that the update requires you to agree to send some information () or even more information (). There is no option to NOT send Microsoft any information.

4014929_en_5.png

#ClassAction

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
You should install the latest updates for security. Running an outdated computer is not very secure, and Microsoft has no obligation to keep your computer secure (beyond the date) if you do not install their updates. Windows 10 1511 (November Update) will reach end-of-support on October 10th (a month from now), and Windows 10 1607 (Anniversary Update) will reach end-of-support "Tentatively March 2018". https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

If you do not install the update, your computer will not be secure.
The recent "your files are encrypted" viruses that got a lot of attention, affected only PCs that were running outdated versions of Windows. Anyone who had the latest version was not affected because they had the latest security updates. There is a reason they require the update.

Your best option for blocking the update is to partially or completely disconnect from the internet. You can defer the update (on Windows Pro) or set metered connection, but this will just postpone the update. The long-term solution is using firewalls and other security solutions to restrict internet access to block the update and keep your computer more secure.

If you update, you don't have to use any new features. There's not much difference between Creators Update and older versions of Windows, all the new stuff is optional. I would recommend just doing the update, it's the easiest and safest option.

There is no option to NOT send Microsoft any information.
You posted a screenshot where it gives you the option not to send any information...

Also, this diagnostic data has been around since XP or Vista, it just wasn't as commonly known before. It has always been a part of Windows. Everything in that list has been around since at least Windows 7, except maybe Relevant Ads.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
However, we should note that there is a way to disable the automatic update. You would need to kill the automatic update service somehow, and that you can do either manually by messing up with some settings, or you could use some tool for that. I think that there are tools that can do it automatically, but it hasn't been important for me, so I've forgot the names... You can search for them, or to ask about it.

Also, I think that you can disable automatic update, and you can also disable update in general. At least I think. In the later option you wouldn't be able to check for updates, and update by accident, or something like that.

While I agree with others regarding security, (do keep in mind the recent ransomware events) I still understand your point of view as well. While most could go for security with the latest patches, you may want to decline these update because you favor performance and reliability. Sadly, we can't tell that these updates guarantee neither of those two, so if you think you know how to take care of your PC, and you know there's nobody who doesn't know that, and who accesses your PC, then you may be fine without updates as well. But at your own risk. :)

PS. I have a Windows 7 PC which refuses to install any monthly security updates since the beginning of the year anyway...

Sent from mTalk on Windows PC

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheStivo