Upgrade to windows 10 pro on Surface laptop

May 27, 2017
Visit site
So, i'm planning to buy a surface laptop, and then upgrade it to win 10 pro. I've heard that it is free until 2018. But I was a little skeptical about it, so I made some research on it. On some pages, people where saying that you could upgrade it for free, if you made a special microsoft account for your pc, and others (like windows central), were just saying that you could upgrade it for free. I just don't know what to believe? Can you upgrade it for free without a special account, or do you have to make a special microsoft account, to upgrade to windows 10 pro until next year?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
So, i'm planning to buy a surface laptop, and then upgrade it to win 10 pro. I've heard that it is free until 2018. But I was a little skeptical about it, so I made some research on it. On some pages, people where saying that you could upgrade it for free, if you made a special microsoft account for your pc, and others (like windows central), were just saying that you could upgrade it for free. I just don't know what to believe? Can you upgrade it for free without a special account, or do you have to make a special microsoft account, to upgrade to windows 10 pro until next year?

I've tried checking the windows website and this is all I could find:

You can switch to Windows 10 Pro easily at any time through the Windows Store for an affordable price; payment is collected through the Windows Store.

To learn more or switch to Windows 10 Pro, go to the Windows Store, search for Windows 10 Pro.

Note

Switching to Pro is one-way. If you make the switch, you won't be able to go back to Windows 10 S.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
There are no special Microsoft accounts (to my knowledge). The free upgrade period is officially over, but you might still be able to use the GWX upgrade tool.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. What I ment with a special microsoft account was a education/student account, or something with you had to register your account as a student

The free upgrade is for students - and students get an email account from their college or school - such as jack.ryan@uniname.microsoft.com

So yes, you'll need that account or be a part of that school

If you buy it yourself for personal use, then upgrading will cost you 50USD as has been noted

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon