Need a barebones 7-8" tablet recommendation

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Long story short, the USB port on my ASUS Vivotab Note 8 went belly up and its $180 to repair. I need a tablet for work to specifically run OneNote and updates in Excel and that's about 90% of what I'll need it for.

What recommendations do people have for less than the $180 repair fee? Thanks!!!

MatP

Aug 23, 2017
Visit site
I just did a search on Ebay and note there are a number of Dell Venue 8 Pro tablets that have recently sold in the neighborhood of $100. I have had one of these for the last four years, and it's been great. I suspect it would be similar to your Asus. Bad news, though, my USB port is on the way out, too. I have only one mini USB cable that will charge it, and my mini USB to USB adapter no longer works. That said, it is still going and I consider four years to be a pretty impressive life cycle for a tablet that was less than $300 to begin with and has led a pretty tough life.

There are also a few Vivotab 8s that sold recently on Ebay. They appear to be going for a little more than the Dells, but many still less than $180.

I think the Dell and Asus were really the top 8 inch tablets of their time. Maybe you're thinking you want to go with something else, though, a 10 incher or similar. I guess that would require some more hunting around.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Need a barebones 7-8" tablet recommendation

I saw those on Amazon for a decent price. Do all of the windows 10 updates slow it down given its specs? But if only OneNote is being used probably a moot point?
I wouldn't recommend getting that HP tablet. It's a bargain, sure, but you get what you pay for. I bought it when it was released. Loved it for a while, but its quality is pretty low, in my opinion. Also, I'm pretty sure that it has stopped getting the big updates from MS due to its processor. I'm not 100% on that though.

I have the Nuvision 8 inch tablet, and it's not that bad actually. Screen is really good for the price. My only problems with it have been the speaker output and wifi on mine is spotty at times. Often, on boot up, I get the "No Internet Access" message and have to reboot. That issue was rampant for the past 5 or 6 months on my tablet, but it's becoming fairly rare for me now.

For your particular needs, I think the Nuvision tablets would be fine for you.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site

I wouldn't recommend getting that HP tablet. It's a bargain, sure, but you get what you pay for. I bought it when it was released. Loved it for a while, but its quality is pretty low, in my opinion. Also, I'm pretty sure that it has stopped getting the big updates from MS due to its processor. I'm not 100% on that though.

I have the Nuvision 8 inch tablet, and it's not that bad actually. Screen is really good for the price. My only problems with it have been the speaker output and wifi on mine is spotty at times. Often, on boot up, I get the "No Internet Access" message and have to reboot. That issue was rampant for the past 5 or 6 months on my tablet, but it's becoming fairly rare for me now.

For your particular needs, I think the Nuvision tablets would be fine for you.

Which model do you have? Thanks for the feedback!

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I'll have to look when I get home from work. I bought it soon after it was released, so it is one of the originals. Also, since the last few updates, I've had no internet troubles.

I have the TM800W560L Signature Addition. For the price, it's a really good tablet.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raymowen