Bing overlay "web search" on feed/topsites page in edge

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Got this new funky bit of stupid adware from somewhere. It shows a search bar, under the actual search bar with the button "web search", in yellow, with my user icon beside it. If I use it, instead of my default search engine, it uses bing.

It's some kind of overlay, so on my scaling it goes over my topsites. It refers to itself in its html code, as an overlay. It also seems to reference Spartan suggesting its been around awhile.

I've run defender offline full search, adw, Malwarebytes, and nothing has been able to get rid of it.

Googles/searches don't seem to reveal any information about this overlay adware.

Anyone know what this is called, and how to get rid of it?

acasrga

Sep 16, 2017
Visit site
the same problem from yesterday fff.PNG

Ant42

Sep 16, 2017
Visit site
I can't add much to this thread other than to say the same thing suddenly appeared on my Edge browser today. I wondered if it was a Microsoft update, but my update history shows the last one was four days ago.

If it's some sort of spyware, it got past ZoneAlarm Antivirus Pro and Malwarebytes Pro undetected, and subsequent full scans with both of those plus Windows Defender found nothing.

I can't find any way of getting rid of it, other than to turn off top sites in new tabs, but it's still there if I turn that back on.

I'd love to know where it came from and how I can remove it.

Harirak

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I think it not problem. But you can change search engine in Advance Setting button from other to Bing as default.
After that you have to wait about 10 second. When you open new tab You will see the search bar disappear one. And Bing search bar button change color from yellow to blue.

But if you select the other as default. ETC of you choose google as default. the page will show two search bar in that page.

I think the reason of MS is. The tactic of MS that want to the customer can choose other search engine or Bing.
And other reason is the benefit of that. Because if you select web search. You will forced Bing search engine even though you select google as default.

P.S. After I updated "Latest Windows Updates". MS Edge will be strange in the first time. You have to wait until 10 - 30 minute. After that time EDGE will be better. And also ACTION CENTER too. It will be normal in 10 - 30 minute. Don't remove Windows Updates!

Ant42

Sep 16, 2017
Visit site
I've always had Google as my search engine and never seen this extra search bar until today. I tried switching my default search engine back to Bing and restarting the browser, but it made no difference.

I was mistaken about the Windows Defender scan I mentioned in my last post - it was the quick scan I had run. I've just run a full scan with it and it found "SoftwareBundler:Win32/Stallmonitz", which it has now removed. I don't know if it had anything to do with it, but it hasn't fixed the problem, the extra search bar is still there.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
That's a bug in Edge. The feed content is actually an MSN webpage, and the search box is part of that webpage. If you go to MSN.com, you'll see the same search box.

It's supposed to hide the MSN search box (leaving just the browser one that auto-slides into the Edge UI), but it's been unreliable for weeks.

Oh and since it's part of the MSN website, no updates will change it. It's literally a webpage, so when the MSN webpage is fixed, it'll be fixed in the browser.

EDIT: Figured out a way to get it to display properly, but it only works as long as Developer Tools is open. Once you close the tab or developer tools, it reverts back.
Press F12 to open developer tools, go to the Emulation tab, change User Agent String to Internet Explorer 11, then back to Edge. Scroll up and down on the page, and only the proper Edge search/address box appears.

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem - I think I made it go away - instead of opening a new tab with my top sites, I just changed the settings to open new tabs with a blank page - the search bar disappeared

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria