Surface RT: Frustrated but not giving up

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I own a Surface RT, recently it bricked and I had to refresh from USB, my only option was to downgrade to 8.0 since then I found I can not get it to upgrade back to the 8.1 I had previously, nor can I sign into Microsoft to get he store update. I know Microsoft is hands off this OS but there must be a work around I have not tried. I attempted to install the update directly but it keeps coming back saying I can not install on this PC. I would appreciate some direction, thank you.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I own a Surface RT, recently it bricked and I had to refresh from USB, my only option was to downgrade to 8.0 since then I found I can not get it to upgrade back to the 8.1 I had previously, nor can I sign into Microsoft to get he store update. I know Microsoft is hands off this OS but there must be a work around I have not tried. I attempted to install the update directly but it keeps coming back saying I can not install on this PC. I would appreciate some direction, thank you.
I'm almost positive that you are experiencing the results of a known bug that went out to Windows PCs running Windows 8 and 8.1. Check out this thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...ect-to-microsoft-account?forum=w8itprogeneral

dark4une

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
If you mean Windows Direct Recovery Tool I have not found one that gives me the 8.1 version. At this point I'm looking for an image since Microsoft pulled it from their downloads.

dark4une

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
I was able to create a second account that logged me into Microsoft but now it says I can only upgrade with administrator account, I looked up how to do it every time I open the CMD prompt and type net user administrator /active:yes it comes back with access denied. I'm going to lunch, hope someone has an idea why this seem so difficult.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tongkhoyenphat