Apple or Android Phone?

Stephen Pedersen1

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
I really don't know which to get. I hear the customization of the Android is better but that it is less secure, and get's bogged down after awhile. Also, how is Google's Music app compared to ITunes (apple music), Spotify, and Groove? What is the Microsoft launcher do for google phones exactly? How much better do Androids work with windows, than an IPhone does?

As far as Apple goes, how well does it work with a PC? I still plan on using Onedrive. How well does Onedrive integrate into the iPhone? Will my photos automatically upload to it like with Windows10Mobile? Can I post word files on my home screen?

I'm leaning towards the iPhone7 because it has a reputation of being secure, doesn't bog down in bloatware, and because of iTunes and Apple Music, even though Android is more customizable and may work better with Windows.

What do you guys think?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Android pros: more diversity and that customization means you can set it up how you want. Cons: can be less secure but sticking to official apps should help?

IOS pros: More secure, stable, smooth, works as expected everytime. Well supported by devs and updates. Cons: limited hardware choice and customization.

Sadly, i would advise android, that openness has its downsides re security but ultimately will allow you to have more freedom and one thing Microsoft has taught us with Groove is that options (good ones) are always good.

Sent from mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
With OneDrive, you can enable background uploading of your camera roll on iOS. It works just fine, just turn it on. The only con is that if you want photos from it, or to use photos from it, you have to go into the OneDrive app to view them.

In my experience, when it comes to having an Outlook address and you want to keep managing your account in Outlook, iOS was a little better. I believe that Microsoft finally added the ability to edit a contact in Outlook. A massive downfall on the Outlook app on Android is that the calendar in that doesn't link to the phone calendar. (You have to do that via Exchange or another email app)

Also note that some phones, like Sony and Huawei have their own music apps, so you don't have to use Google Music. I don't know how it is though, sorry. Hopefully someone can come along and share their experience with that. I personally use Spotify so I have no idea.

The Microsoft launcher allows you to connect to your Microsoft accounts, and it just adds some useful stuff like recent photos and contacts and OneNote integration. It's also very light on battery life too.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Moved to phone wars.

My preference is Android.
I'm currently using the Huawei Mate 9.
It's stable fast and shows no slowdowns after months of use.

My wife has used the iPhone 6s which is also fast and very simple.
I think the iPhone is an easy switch for WP/WM users because it's secure and has the icon based home screen which is probably familiar to most.

Also those who say apps are unimportant may be denying themselves a bit of convenience.
I find Android apps in most situations much more desirable to mobile web browsers for most needs.

Apps have features not available in browsers and not to mention load much quicker.
Each his own however...
...good luck and do some research on our sister sites iMore and Android Central...very good helpful folks on either site.

Stephen Pedersen1

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys. Security and stability are the number one priorities for me. The last thing I want is a virus. I never had one with a Microsoft phone so I've been fortunate. I'm really happy to see the outlook and Onedrive integration on iOS too. I think I'll be getting the iPhone7 then. Thanks again guys! :)

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
It has to be Android. Ios is a brick wall and lacks any creativity, it is the opposite to everything WP users extol about this platform.

Android has the flexibility. It also has the integration with Microsoft launcher and cortana able to be deeper into the system.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I ended up going Android with a Galaxy S8 Plus. It takes some getting used to but the one thing I miss the most is Cortana. There is no native way on Android to have the phone read texts over Bluetooth while driving. Neither Bixby or Google Assistant have this functionality. Supposedly it will come to Bixby at some point. There are some 3rd party apps that do this which I am testing out but I really wish Microsoft would bring full functionality to Cortana on Android. Given it's open source, it shouldn't be that difficult.

Jason Angle

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
So, I decided on the iPhone for a couple reasons. Coming from an advanced user, Linux core background, Android is enticing as it at one point was a rip-off of Linux, OpenHandSet etc... however now it is a baked in privacy violation with forced on you Google Services, tracking, auditing, and not much in the way of Malware Controls. iPhone is a UNIX device at core, is much more secure based on everything being proprietary, which also means security issues get more severe but get fixed faster.

Android, very easy to customize, even remove Google garbage, but then it makes the available software make WP look expansive. It also becomes less secure because you are trusting unknown parties to do the right thing. Google can't even be trusted to do that.

iPhone, secure, largest ecosystem, fastest devices. Bought the 7 myself because the 8 has some growing pains (see what I did there? you know expanding batteries!) They have great customer service, and have even started making serious inroads at privacy. It links flawless through Windows 10 connect your phone Cortana (don't like the lack of changing out Siri though). Onedrive syncs the same as it did on WP. Microsoft is also strongly supporting that ecosystem with great updates and apps.

If you go Android, get a Blackberry.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I ended up going Android with a Galaxy S8 Plus. It takes some getting used to but the one thing I miss the most is Cortana. There is no native way on Android to have the phone read texts over Bluetooth while driving. Neither Bixby or Google Assistant have this functionality. Supposedly it will come to Bixby at some point. There are some 3rd party apps that do this which I am testing out but I really wish Microsoft would bring full functionality to Cortana on Android. Given it's open source, it shouldn't be that difficult.

Which apps are you testing for sms over BT? And how is Cortana, i have an android I had to buy to use an app now im testing more vigorously and find Cortana to be quite poor on android and pretty much only good for viewing items.

Sent from mTalk

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Which apps are you testing for sms over BT? And how is Cortana, i have an android I had to buy to use an app now im testing more vigorously and find Cortana to be quite poor on android and pretty much only good for viewing items.

Sent from mTalk

Yes coming from WP, Cortana is still missing quite a bit. I was very disappointed.
The one I'm having most success with right now is read2me.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Moved to phone wars.

My preference is Android.
I'm currently using the Huawei Mate 9.
It's stable fast and shows no slowdowns after months of use.

My wife has used the iPhone 6s which is also fast and very simple.
I think the iPhone is an easy switch for WP/WM users because it's secure and has the icon based home screen which is probably familiar to most.

Also those who say apps are unimportant may be denying themselves a bit of convenience.
I find Android apps in most situations much more desirable to mobile web browsers for most needs.

Apps have features not available in browsers and not to mention load much quicker.
Each his own however...
...good luck and do some research on our sister sites iMore and Android Central...very good helpful folks on either site.
How is that 9? I've read it doesn't have any screen protection like Gorilla Glass and previous Huawei phones are scratch prone.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
How is that 9? I've read it doesn't have any screen protection like Gorilla Glass and previous Huawei phones are scratch prone.

The Mate 9 has GG3.
I just peeled off the plastic protector that comes on the screen. I thought it was a screen protector so I left it there...lol

Turns out it's just part of the packaging. The bare screen has no marks so far.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
The Mate 9 has GG3.
I just peeled off the plastic protector that comes on the screen. I thought it was a screen protector so I left it there...lol

I've been testing a "Huawei" Honor 8 which also has GG3. It has no screen protector and also no marks, so my experience is similar to yours. It's actually a decent midrange phone. I would have liked it with Windows on it :wink:

I am using Cortana and Outlook on it. Not exactly the same functionality, but it makes me feel better seeing them.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I would pick iOS. From my experience Android wasn't reliable for me (alarms wouldn't wake me up when I wanted to, battery drain, freezing, etc.) and I believe it has more functional and better looking apps - at least Facebook app and some of the MS suite apps on Android looked like they've been designed in a kindergarten.

If you however want to have the flexibility to customize the OS the way you want then I would go with a phone that features almost vanilla Android (Pixels, OnePlus's, Nokias - if I am honest I had a Huawei phone and I really dislike EMUI) since I believe it's important that if you already want to customize it, you customize it 100% your way.

anon(10324754)

Sep 24, 2017
Visit site
I would pick iOS. From my experience Android wasn't reliable for me (alarms wouldn't wake me up when I wanted to, battery drain, freezing, etc.) and I believe it has more functional and better looking apps - at least Facebook app and some of the MS suite apps on Android looked like they've been designed in a kindergarten.

If you however want to have the flexibility to customize the OS the way you want then I would go with a phone that features almost vanilla Android (Pixels, OnePlus's, Nokias - if I am honest I had a Huawei phone and I really dislike EMUI) since I believe it's important that if you already want to customize it, you customize it 100% your way.

That's the thing with android though. Customisation of it with MFST apps means time spent on getting functionality into the phone that is already baked into the windows mobile system from the outset. I hope MFST really improves on these apps. Their apps are half-baked on Android at the moment, especially with Outlook. I feel like I've gone back to square one on Android after getting out of iOS for Windows Mobile.

My biggest problem has been separating my work email from my personal email on two systems. The problem is so confusing I don't even know who to ask for advice and probably don't have the time to work on it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The Mate 9 has GG3.

Ok, so I jumped in and got one last night. This is one impressive phone for being an Android. I was wrong about the Acer Primo because of misconceptions and I'm wrong about this one. This Kirin CPU makes a Qualcomm want to bury its head in the sand. I haven't had a whole lot of time with it yet but I'm very impressed with the performance so far. Maybe a mini review is in the future.

Thanks for the recom J.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss