UBlock Origin- Does it actually see all the websites I visit? (Security concern).

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

It says it right in the description on the right side.
I am sorry for being paranoid and perhaps I don’t understand how this works.

Does the maker or anyone else (some server they own etc) see what sites I visit?

I would think if true that would be a deal breaker for anyone. Isn’t the point of everything we are being taught nowadays to be more secure in our computing habits.

Thank you.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It says it right in the description on the right side.
I am sorry for being paranoid and perhaps I don’t understand how this works.

Does the maker or anyone else (some server they own etc) see what sites I visit?

I would think if true that would be a deal breaker for anyone. Isn’t the point of everything we are being taught nowadays to be more secure in our computing habits.

Thank you.

Ublock origin is a ad blocker and thus it will log the sites you visit and the adverts on that site. This log can be seen using the logger function and also all extensions are signed by Mozilla if you are using firefox for example before being allowed in the extension store. Also the same would apply to Edge extensions. Therefore it would not be possible for extension developers to siphon any data (or usage data). Unless you of course install extensions from other sources, who do not have rigorous code checks in place for certification.

I however I am unsure about google chrome's store extension policy as I do not use google chrome. Not out of principle but as someone who invariably ends up repairing laptops and pcs for people, I have cleaned out countless amount of malware and google chrome was the only browser being used. Most of the users are not tech savy enough to install tool bars and usually are still running the bundled McAffee license they got with the PC / Laptop.

By setting up firefox and a adblocker (previously adblock but that has been bought by private consortium, so now I use ublock origin), there was marked decrease in malware issues for these users, which lead me to believe chrome is not entirely that secure. I am not going to place a packet sniffer or logger to monitor people's browsing behaviour for detailed heuristics and analysis.

Lastly, if you are concerned about running scripts then I recommend using NoScript, this allows greater control over your browsing.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thehinac