Free up 8GB without really trying

mstrblueskys

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey - so I got the 32GB and recently discovered a really easy way to free up 8GB from your main drive by moving your recovery to a USB drive. Here's how it's done:

Insert a USB drive - I used an 8GB
From the home screen, search "Recovery"
Click "Create a Recovery Drive"
Follow the prompts and let everything copy
When it's done copying, it will give you the option to delete recovery partition. Do that

Warning - This totally froze my T100. I had to do a hard restart. It's scary, but give it a few minutes and reboot.

When you are back up and running, type "Disk"
Click on "Create and format hard disk partitions"
Right click on "OS (C:)"
You should be able to click "Extend Volume"
Just hit next/okay through those prompts

Voila - You have added an extra 8GB of HDD space. Just don't lose your flash drive! :D

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing the tip. Wish I had done this at the beginning of the year, as it would have been useful for me to battle my recent troubles with the Music and Video apps.

Akhena

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the mega tip!

But I was thinking that those 8Gb were read-only, not physically writable.
Can you confirm those 8Gb are indeed writable?

Matthew Bauer

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I do not advise moving the recovery partition to an SD card or to a USB drive. Think about what would happen if you lost the recovery drive and a Windows update caused a blue screen? My advice to free up space on the system is to move your documents, movies, pictures, and downloads libraries to an SD card via the change location function in each library folder's properties.

Laurenfm

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
Hi there,

I will try doing this as my asus t100 only has 1.13GB free of 27.7GB and I dont have anything downloaded on it other than windows and have trouble running apps and I'm getting sick of the message 'Not enough disk space' popping up and I have run out of things to delete on disk cleanup.

Just one question before i do this, I have a 128 GB micro SD i use for files and applications, if i do the recovery drive thing, will this delete any of my files and can I still use it as a external storage device after I do this?

Thanks for you help,

Lauren .

Slobberdog57

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
Hey - so I got the 32GB and recently discovered a really easy way to free up 8GB from your main drive by moving your recovery to a USB drive. Here's how it's done:

Insert a USB drive - I used an 8GB
From the home screen, search "Recovery"
Click "Create a Recovery Drive"
Follow the prompts and let everything copy
When it's done copying, it will give you the option to delete recovery partition. Do that

Warning - This totally froze my T100. I had to do a hard restart. It's scary, but give it a few minutes and reboot.

When you are back up and running, type "Disk"
Click on "Create and format hard disk partitions"
Right click on "OS (C:)"
You should be able to click "Extend Volume"
Just hit next/okay through those prompts

Voila - You have added an extra 8GB of HDD space. Just don't lose your flash drive! :D

Before I do this, How do you do a hard reset?

Soz if this sounds like a stupid question, getting to the end of my patience with this tablet pc as I cant do anything to be able to carry out a windows update and the version I have is no longer supported, :cry:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Before I do this, How do you do a hard reset?

Soz if this sounds like a stupid question, getting to the end of my patience with this tablet pc as I cant do anything to be able to carry out a windows update and the version I have is no longer supported, :cry:

In this case, hard restart is referring to the act of forcing a PC to shut down unceremoniously if it otherwise is not responding. (usually achieved by holding the power button until it powers off)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett