Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Hi,
    my vivo tabs display flickers when its set to the lowest setting, are there others who have the same problem?
    thank you..

I have your same problem on my new Asus Vivo Tab. It's a very irritating problem, above all when you are reading ebooks or navigating on the net in a dark room. I have also tried to disable the autolighting option but it doesn't change anything. I hope it's a software problem, but I haven't heard about same problem on the Surface...
    Bye, lupoxel

Global Posts
    2,528 Global Posts
    Mine does this too. I have found that if I turn it up even just the tinniest bit above minimum brightness, the problem goes away. It is still dim enough for ebooks in dark rooms (IMO at least) and the flicker goes away. I think a way they could fix this with a software update would simply to raise what the OS sets minimum brightness at by 2-3%.

I read you downloaded the patch. Did it fix the flicker? where can I get the patch?

Found the problem. It has to do with the power settings. When the tablet is plugged there is no flicker. Thus you must adjust battery power and connected power settings to "Never" in the settings for what to do with display after so many minutes. Then adjust screen settings to be "off" automatic and bring brightness all the way up. And voila!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by om1111 View Post
    Found the problem. It has to do with the power settings. When the tablet is plugged there is no flicker. Thus you must adjust battery power and connected power settings to "Never" in the settings for what to do with display after so many minutes. Then adjust screen settings to be "off" automatic and bring brightness all the way up. And voila!!!!
    Hello,

Ive got a Vivo Tab RT for some months now, and im loving it, and never got any special issue with it.

Since yesterday (12-03-2013) firmware update, i start to get this really annoying flickering issue on my tablet. :(

I tried to follow this tips, but with no success... it still happens.

Anyone with similar issue ?

thanks,

rj77

UPDATE :

Well, after some digging on this issue, i managed to do some progress in order to identify the cause for flickering :

Cause : NVIDIA TEGRA 3 driver

After yesterday update, i got a new NVIDIA TEGRA 3 driver :
    24/01/2013

I did a rollback to previous driver :
    21/11/2012

... and the flickering didnt happened again!

BUT the following drivers stopped to work :

NXP NearFieldProximity Provider
    Broadcom GNSS Geolocation
    Capella Micro CM3218x Ambient Light Sensor
    InvenSense Sensor Collection

So it seems yesterday Firmware Update didnt follow Driver Update itself.

Im going to open a ticket in ASUS support (but dont know if its ASUS, NVIDIA or MS (or all together :) who fix this)

Hope this helps others,

Any comment, please go ahead. :)

br,

rjorge77
    Last edited by rjorge77; 03-13-2013 at 09:18 AM. Reason: i think i found the issue

I got all the updates a few days ago and am having no problems at all. My NVidia also has a new driver (the one you listed). I would definitely try resetting your tablet to factory settings before going through Asus support. The resets are drastic, but pretty good at fixing any software/driver problem. And it's just nice having a clean, fresh install. ;)
    I'm not receiving this issue on my vivo tab either and I've been installed the latest patches...

Quote Originally Posted by rjorge77 View Post
    Hello,

Ive got a Vivo Tab RT for some months now, and im loving it, and never got any special issue with it.

Since yesterday (12-03-2013) firmware update, i start to get this really annoying flickering issue on my tablet. :(

I am having exactly the same issue. I will try what you suggested and see what happens. It starting happening after the latest updates, as in your case

Please keep us posted about your ticket with Asus

Thanks

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I lost smooth video playback with the last Nvidia drivers it was stutter city with all videos, MP4 video files too.
    So had to do a full system restore. That did it.
    But of course then you have to reinstall the Office Update again, I hope they release a Backup program for RT soon.

Hi,

Well, after some email's between Asus support, they suggested me to re-install the system, which i did...

For the 1st day, it all seemed "fixed".

After that, flickering started to happen, sometimes more frequently, sometimes less...

I reported back to Asus support.. and they told me to report this issue to Microsoft, that wasnt their "fault"....

I'll try to report to MS to see if there's any progress on this issue, but it definitly seems a Nvidia driver problem.

Please anyone with similar issue, report it back, and try to open a ticket on MS/ASUS so we could get this fixed.

br,

rjorge77

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Did you disable the (Adjust my screen brightness automatically) option in the Settings/General window.

Quote Originally Posted by drojas4 View Post
    Did you disable the (Adjust my screen brightness automatically) option in the Settings/General window.
    Hi Drojas4,

Yup, done that... but with same issue.

I've done a video which i already sent to ASUS support, in order to try to check whats happening.

Check here :

W8user : if you got the same issue, please open a ticket on ASUS support, so we can any kind of "fix" for this.

br,

rjorge77

I have the same problem.
    I have asus vivotab smart atom cpu windows 8.
    When playing games, time to time display flicker,when switch to simple program or to desctop flickering stop.when back to game flicker goes on. After a while flickering stop.
    How to solve this problem?????

Hi Turkaym,

Please open a ticket on ASUS website about this.

I just received a email from them today, since they can duplicate/know about this issue, they're going to open a "repair" issue for my Tablet.

Which i truly believe it will not fix anything, since this is for sure a Software issue.

Ill keep you updated on this, but open a ticket with them in order to find the true issue on this.

br,

rjorge77

Hi,

After all this time, i found the cause of this reported issue........

Just as a note : I've sent my ASUS VivoTab RT to ASUS, and they didnt even bother to do extensive tests, they just "reset" my tablet and sent it back to me .... ASUS support sucks...

Fortunately i managed to find the issue on this behaviour, its simple caused by my Cover Case..... yeah ! really... it seems o Cover Cases got some magnetic device, for support Automatic Sleep/Wake function of VivoTab RT.

Im using this Cover Case : http://www.amazon.co.uk/TF600T-Slim-Fit-Multi-Angle-Automatic-Function/dp/B00ASJZ666/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_t_2_AV49

I'm now without Cover Case for 2 days in a row, and dont got this issue anymore....

After doing some search on Internet, i found other user reports about this issue with Cover Cases that support Sleep/Wake function :

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Manvex Slim and Compact Leather Folio case cover for the Asus Vivo Tab TF600t Tablet with Windows 8 RT | Smart Cover has Sleep/Wake Function | Built-in Stand with Multiple Viewing Angles - Black/Gray (check topic : "Hate Sleep/Wake function")

Hope this helps other Cover Cases users with VivoTab RT's.

;-)

br,

rjorge77
    found out how to fix the screen flickering follow the steps for vivotab smart

desktop > settings > control panel > power options > change plan settings > change advance power settings > display > enable adaptive brightness > Off

hasn't changed on its own since.

can you tell us how to know what type of nvidia driver we curently have? and how to rollbback to previous driver. I am experiencing the same problems, tried different soutions with not success.
    Thanks
    Luis

Quote Originally Posted by rjorge77 View Post
    Hello,

thanks,

rj77

UPDATE :

Well, after some digging on this issue, i managed to do some progress in order to identify the cause for flickering :

Cause : NVIDIA TEGRA 3 driver

After yesterday update, i got a new NVIDIA TEGRA 3 driver :
    24/01/2013

I did a rollback to previous driver :
    21/11/2012

... and the flickering didnt happened again!

BUT the following drivers stopped to work :

NXP NearFieldProximity Provider
    Broadcom GNSS Geolocation
    Capella Micro CM3218x Ambient Light Sensor
    InvenSense Sensor Collection

So it seems yesterday Firmware Update didnt follow Driver Update itself.

Im going to open a ticket in ASUS support (but dont know if its ASUS, NVIDIA or MS (or all together :) who fix this)

Hope this helps others,

Any comment, please go ahead. :)

br,

rjorge77
    can you tell us how to know what type of nvidia driver we curently have? and how to rollbback to previous driver. I am experiencing the same problems, tried different soutions with not success.
    Thanks
    Luis

Please support our petition: change.org/petitions/microsoft-fix-the-flickering-bug-of-the-surface-tablets

"09-20-2013, 01:22 PM
    found out how to fix the screen flickering follow the steps for vivotab smart

desktop > settings > control panel > power options > change plan settings > change advance power settings > display > enable adaptive brightness > Off

hasn't changed on its own since."

JUST FIXED FOR ME. No more shockingly low brightness, I'm finally starting to enjoy my tablet.