Asus vivotab ME400

asusfan

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
It is now also featured beautifully on this assus site: ASUS VivoTab
(it's a Windows 8, not the pro flavor though).
The tablet is now also available and in stock at CompSource.com and ValleySeek.com as of January 10, for around $500.
For better pricing of $499 including shipping and no State Tax.. just google for Asus VivoTab Smart.

flame l

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It is now also featured beautifully on this assus site: ASUS VivoTab
(it's a Windows 8, not the pro flavor though).
The tablet is now also available and in stock at CompSource.com and ValleySeek.com as of January 10, for around $500.
For better pricing of $499 including shipping and no State Tax.. just google for Asus VivoTab Smart.

I think windows 8 or pro is the same things because it says it can run legacy apps. What does pro means ?

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I think windows 8 or pro is the same things because it says it can run legacy apps. What does pro means ?

Pro and Win8 are the same software. Both run legacy software. Pro does have a few more features. Remote desktop hosting ability, ability to attach to corporate domain, encryption of data, also needed to be able to run Windows Media Center. Unless you need these features, it is unnecessary. I just bought a Vaio and only way I could get a clean, no bloatware, install was to get Pro version. Was well worth the upgrade.

I think you are referring to RT version of Windows, maybe?? RT is MS "lite" version run on ARM processor. Think of it as iPad equivalent with quite a few more abilities. But, it will not run legacy, or Win 7 programs. RT is like Windows Phone, it will run apps from their app store only, plus a cut down Office Suite. If I misunderstood you, sorry.

Last edited:

flame l

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Pro and Win8 are the same software. Both run legacy software. Pro does have a few more features. Remote desktop hosting ability, ability to attach to corporate domain, encryption of data, also needed to be able to run Windows Media Center. Unless you need these features, it is unnecessary. I just bought a Vaio and only way I could get a clean, no bloatware, install was to get Pro version. Was well worth the upgrade.

I think you are referring to RT version of Windows, maybe?? RT is MS "lite" version run on ARM processor. Think of it as iPad equivalent with quite a few more abilities. But, it will not run legacy,

or Win 7 programs. RT is like Windows Phone, it will run apps from their app store only, plus a cut down Office Suite. If I misunderstood you, sorry.

oh, I get the difference between the two .Good thing that its only around $500 and it has windows 8 rather than Rt. I was just referring that in windows 8, you can install legacy apps not in RT.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend anyone buy this or any other Asus Windows 8 product. There is no support whatsoever for these devices, no driver updates to fix numerous bugs which other manufacturers have already fixed with updates while Asus wont even post the shipping drivers on their site. Also read up on their "free keyboard" issues and this is one manufacturer to avoid.

JellymanEN

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I just got this and it is (for me anyway) very good, there was 2 updates from "Asus" of course alot from "Microsoft" Windows 8 updates.
I have only had good experiences With Asus before :) (In Norway)
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I just got this and it is (for me anyway) very good, there was 2 updates from "Asus" of course alot from "Microsoft" Windows 8 updates.
I have only had good experiences With Asus before :) (In Norway)

Are you talking about app updates? Because I don't see any driver updates for any Asus Windows 8 Atom device on their site and there have been none delivered through their update service.

JellymanEN

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I got my ME 400 last week and the first thing I did was check both Windows update and Asus live update ( was an app/program) on my ME400 which gave me Bios 0403 (1,5mb) and Drivers 0,07 (35,2mb).

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I got my ME 400 last week and the first thing I did was check both Windows update and Asus live update ( was an app/program) on my ME400 which gave me Bios 0403 (1,5mb) and Drivers 0,07 (35,2mb).

You're lucky then, live update has been as barren as a desert for the Vivo tab and we've had to resort to installing drivers from other Atom tablet makers. Guess the vivotab will probably be discontinued soon as it seems they have no intention to support it.

Jeffrey Seymore

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
You're lucky then, live update has been as barren as a desert for the Vivo tab and we've had to resort to installing drivers from other Atom tablet makers. Guess the vivotab will probably be discontinued soon as it seems they have no intention to support it.

Why would they do this??? They support products for a while, and these are brand new! (Just released less than a week ago)

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I've gotten a number of updates through windows update on my Vivo Tab RT, including several bug fixes, so I don't know what other's issues are. I'm considering get the Vivo Tab Smart for my wife, as she needs iTunes for her iPhone.

prometheano

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello to other ME400 users: Are you able to plays games at lower resolution in full screen? For me, any game less than 1366x768 plays with black border and no option in the Intel Graphics control panel to stretch it out. Any advice is appreciated. Otherwise, I love this machine!

Jeffrey Seymore

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hello to other ME400 users: Are you able to plays games at lower resolution in full screen? For me, any game less than 1366x768 plays with black border and no option in the Intel Graphics control panel to stretch it out. Any advice is appreciated. Otherwise, I love this machine!

This is because your tablet is a widescreen device. The games were not made for the format, they were made for a square screen. If it was to play full screen it would look horribly stretched out and distorted. Think of movies on a square screen (Like an old TV) that were filmed in widescreen format. You get black bars on the top and bottom because the image needs to be adjusted so the edges fit the screen. Same thing here only it is reverse (Square image on a rectangular screen) Hope this helps.

islehopper

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Since purchasing a VivoTab RT in early December, ASUS has pushed at least 3 updates. They're installed during the windows update process -- either before or after any Microsoft updates. The firmware updates are shown under windows update history. The RT is a solid convertible and highly attractive for someone coming from an iPad needing superior keyboard solutions (both hardware and on-screen). In tablet mode, the split keyboard totally rocks. Although it's usable, I do with MS would build out the mail app or at least offer a version of outlook for this platform.

Cheers

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Why would they do this??? They support products for a while, and these are brand new! (Just released less than a week ago)

Actually I wasn't quite serious with that remark but strangely a few people on another forum, tabletpcreview have mentioned some retailers claiming the Vivo Tab is discontinued. Whatever the case I'm entering my third month of ownership and I still have to rely on drivers from third parties. Definitely won't be purchasing Asus again.

Jeffrey Seymore

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Actually I wasn't quite serious with that remark but strangely a few people on another forum, tabletpcreview have mentioned some retailers claiming the Vivo Tab is discontinued. Whatever the case I'm entering my third month of ownership and I still have to rely on drivers from third parties. Definitely won't be purchasing Asus again.

The VivoTab Smart has many updates already. Just as stated above there were 4 updates out of the box, (BIOS, drivers (about 80 MB worth of them) and other various software) and all went without a hitch. I LOVE my VivoTab smart so far!!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The VivoTab Smart has many updates already. Just as stated above there were 4 updates out of the box, (BIOS, drivers (about 80 MB worth of them) and other various software) and all went without a hitch. I LOVE my VivoTab smart so far!!

Yes, they are supporting the VT Smart but the more expensive version with digitizer and 11.6" screen has seen bubkis from Asus even though its been on sale since last year and its only usable because drivers for other atom devices work on it, for the most part. Very frustrating for a $1000 device and why I will not buy Asus again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon