In the Air

mstrblueskys

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey all - I just ordered mine today and it's slated for a Friday arrival. I'm coming from the first Android Transformer and I could not be more excited. Any suggestions right away?

icwhatudidthere

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Congrats! Still loving mine. I wish more people had it, there's no one to talk to about it. This is my first Windows device in about 4 years so I'm just curious what I've missed.

First suggestion: update! After I did all the updates, the few issues I had were addressed.

I did the BIOS and driver updates separately, not sure if that's better or not. The driver update will appear to hang but let it sit for 5-10 min and you'll see some progress. The BIOS update was a little disconcerting since I lost Wifi but it came back after a reboot.

Do all the Windows updates also, there's a lot and it took at least an hour. I did run into a problem where one of the updates was hanging and it blocked all downloads from the Windows store as well. The fix was to run the troubleshooter and it fixed it.

Also PC Superstore has the cover/keyboard in stock though I've never ordered from them. It's about $10 cheaper than other places I've seen it.

Spotify and iTunes both run fine on it so I've decided to just keep all my music in the cloud to save space.

This weekend I'm planning on creating the recovery USB stick and testing to make sure I can boot from it. If that goes ok, I'm gonna delete the partition for the space. So far after installing Office and various apps, I'm down to 21GB (you get 33 out of the box).

Kiwi Dave

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Congrats! Still loving mine. I wish more people had it, there's no one to talk to about it. This is my first Windows device in about 4 years so I'm just curious what I've missed.

First suggestion: update! After I did all the updates, the few issues I had were addressed.

I did the BIOS and driver updates separately, not sure if that's better or not. The driver update will appear to hang but let it sit for 5-10 min and you'll see some progress. The BIOS update was a little disconcerting since I lost Wifi but it came back after a reboot.

Do all the Windows updates also, there's a lot and it took at least an hour. I did run into a problem where one of the updates was hanging and it blocked all downloads from the Windows store as well. The fix was to run the troubleshooter and it fixed it.

Also PC Superstore has the cover/keyboard in stock though I've never ordered from them. It's about $10 cheaper than other places I've seen it.

Spotify and iTunes both run fine on it so I've decided to just keep all my music in the cloud to save space.

This weekend I'm planning on creating the recovery USB stick and testing to make sure I can boot from it. If that goes ok, I'm gonna delete the partition for the space. So far after installing Office and various apps, I'm down to 21GB (you get 33 out of the box).

Agreed, updating the drivers seems to make a difference. Once they have fully completed, things start working really smoothly.

I've installed around about 24 CDs, Office 2010, Office 2013 (the free upgrade - was a nightmare to install, took a couple of days, I think I got too impaitent and interupted it - suggest you leave it running overnight with a good connection speed), and a dozen or so apps/games. down to 19.5GB free.

No real issues so far.

Only gripe would be the fingerprints on the screen seem much worse than on other devices I've had/used. Might have to get one of those clear film protectors.

rich4A1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered mine today. Hope it arrives soon. Amazon literally ran out of stock when I was deciding in the afternoon, so I had to order from another retailer. Crazy.

youthmindave

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I just ordered mine today. Hope it arrives soon. Amazon literally ran out of stock when I was deciding in the afternoon, so I had to order from another retailer. Crazy.

Ha, Amazon ran out of stock because I got the last one. Ha, sorry about that, but mine came today and I LOVE IT!

humpdawg

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I just picked me up on Sunday at a local store. I saw it on the shelf and that it ran full W8. I hadn't heard of it before but it was Asus so I grabbed it. The price is just right and it's really thin compared to most of the tablets, especially the surface. I needed some remote admin tools on a tablet that are limited on the ipad and it fits the bill just nice. So happy with the purchase. It's kind of a hidden gem. I haven't seen many talk about it. After all the updates I haven't had any stability issues. Waiting on getting a keyboard for it and it will really be a great little machine. I have used the ipad for some limited remote admin stuff but with the ability to actually install some windows apps its a great machine for me. I wasn't looking to replace my desktop but it's the best tablet I have used and I have had many. (ipads\android). For anyone on the fence it's a great price, great performance, and you get in my opinion a surface pro for nearly half the price. The only thing that sucks is one micro usb port and adapter in the box. You can't charge and use an external device. I hope they make some type of mini usb pass-through so you can charge and have an available port.

Kiwi Dave

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I just picked me up on Sunday at a local store. I saw it on the shelf and that it ran full W8. I hadn't heard of it before but it was Asus so I grabbed it. The price is just right and it's really thin compared to most of the tablets, especially the surface. I needed some remote admin tools on a tablet that are limited on the ipad and it fits the bill just nice. So happy with the purchase. It's kind of a hidden gem. I haven't seen many talk about it. After all the updates I haven't had any stability issues. Waiting on getting a keyboard for it and it will really be a great little machine. I have used the ipad for some limited remote admin stuff but with the ability to actually install some windows apps its a great machine for me. I wasn't looking to replace my desktop but it's the best tablet I have used and I have had many. (ipads\android). For anyone on the fence it's a great price, great performance, and you get in my opinion a surface pro for nearly half the price. The only thing that sucks is one micro usb port and adapter in the box. You can't charge and use an external device. I hope they make some type of mini usb pass-through so you can charge and have an available port.

Must admit, after having used for a couple of weeks, the inability to charge while using another USB device can be a pain. Assume you mean 'no adapter in the box' above? Mine didn't come with one and I waited for about 3weeks for my ebay purchased one to turn up.

I now have the USB and also the HDMI to 9 pin converter. tablet is great for running presentations - attach USB (or bluetooth) mouse/presentation pointer - and fire up powerpoint. Far quicker/cleaner and easier than trying to undock my beast of a laptop...

rotary5

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
After looking at the Surface RT, and many other tabs online, I picked up the Vivotab Smart on Fri at BB. Right away I was able to update the Bios and Windows, things were going well until the High Contrast locked up the system and couldn't correct. I then had to reset the tab back to original settings. Now I get the error message that a lot of people are getting when trying to use LiveUpdate "cannot connect to server". It takes some time to learn all the tricks of Windows 8, but I really do like this tab. I ordered the micro usb-female usb cable, a case from Amazon and an inexpensive 32GB SD card. Any tips that you guys have found?

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I regret not getting this. I have the Vivo RT, and the only reason why I got it was because it was on sale for $399 + free keyboard dock. I'll definitely keep an eye for this one if the price goes down to $399. I know it will, ASUS always discounts. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism