Could BlackBerry 10 kill Windows Phone?

morpho4444

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I am writing this with my playbook

Playbook shares the same multitasking design of webOS.
That being said, he same gestures and everything, I am not blind to that. But BB10 is MeeGo. Not webOS. Playbook is webOS. Do I make myself clear?

Ok. Now let's get technical. WebOS is based on BeOS and the UI is a web technology over it. QNX behind webOS is a monster, a juggernaut if you want when multitasking.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I've never used WebOS. But I wouldn't make such a strong statement as "There is no better OS for multi-tasking than webOS". QNX vs Linux (is WebOS build on top of Linux?), I bet QNX will be the winner here.

It's too bad you've never experienced webOS. Unfortunately, it seems as if it may stay that way now that LG isn't going to show the OWO tv at CES. Anyway, my statement still stands because BB10 has not been released yet. One thing to point out, all other mobile OS systems "suspend" the active app when switching. webOS apps continue running in the background.

bb10_fan

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
It's too bad you've never experienced webOS. Unfortunately, it seems as if it may stay that way now that LG isn't going to show the OWO tv at CES. Anyway, my statement still stands because BB10 has not been released yet. One thing to point out, all other mobile OS systems "suspend" the active app when switching. webOS apps continue running in the background.
BB10 also has this mode ;) By default it also suspends the app, but developer can request from OS a run_in_background mode.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I think I have already pointed out that I am a BB fan through and through. Having said that I would like there to be at least 4 strong contenders in the mix (more the better). In the end it only benefits us as consumers. I would like to see WP8 and BB10 eat into iOS and Android marketshare in the next 12 months and beyond

I don't think it does benefit consumers to have 4 players with 4 ecosystems. The main reason is that I don't think the market can or wants to support 4 ecosystems. We'll end up with at least one crappy ecosystem. I just can't see that being successful. RIM made a risky decision to 'go alone' with their ecosystem. The only player that's made that work is Apple, even Google has supported IOS. Microsoft has the next-best chance just because they have so many enterprise and consumer PC's out there in customers hands. If people keep buying PC's at any reasonable rate, Windows 8 is going to have significant market share.

I think RIM is going to be relegated to a niche player, even if the OS is the best out there.

Last edited:

shefiu

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it does benefit consumers to have 4 players with 4 ecosystems. The main reason is that I don't think the market can or wants to support 4 ecosystems. RIM made a risky decision to 'go alone' with their ecosystem. The only player that's made that work is Apple, even Google has supported IOS.

I disagree and I'm sure many others on this board and across other platforms would as well. If its anything that the consumer wants it is choice. RIM with its sub 80 million subscribers has shown that there is a significant chunk of people out there that prefers their platform over the others.

I was a big Nokia fan in the feature fone era, but my first smartphone ended up being a BlackBerry approximately 3 odd years ago and I haven't looked back since.. It could put me in a ****** category, but that doesn't deter me. Neither does that mean I will take any crap that RIM throws at me. My 9860 though getting into its EOL after nearly 16+ months has done me well in getting what I'd like to do. It may not the best handler of multimedia, games, but I get stuff done on it and so far it has worked to both my work and personal needs.

Microsoft has the next-best chance just because they have so many enterprise and consumer PC's out there in customers hands. If people keep buying PC's at any reasonable rate, Windows 8 is going to have significant market share.

I may not be an expert to comment on this, but I doubt that even if Windows 8 was quite successful (we all know that the uptick is relatively average based on what the initial expectations were), I don't believe they would have a bearing with how successful their phone version ends up. The phone itself has to carry features and functionality that its users expect. Integration with its parent OS is just ONE feature out of hundreds that the general market is looking out for, and looking at it from a higher stand-point it would just be something you, me and a few others on this board is looking forward to, not the market in its entirety.

We'll end up with at least one crappy ecosystem. I just can't see that working.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see post Jan 30th. What you and I say at this point will remain speculation till then.

xacious

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
If WP8 fails it will not be solely due to the reintroduction of Blackberry to the market. This flame war between bb and wp8 is getting out of hand. At the end of the day no one can predict the future. Speculation may be entertaining to some but its not hard fact. Both platform's have their own set of strengths and weaknesses that appeal and in some cases do not appeal to whichever consumer is making considerations. Both companies face an up hill battle but the dynamics of their respective struggles vary enough to clearly see they are fighting in different arenas. Of course there are similarities but their journeys to success do not exactly parallel. RIM isn't going anywhere, neither is MS. Whatever platform you choose is due to it meeting your specific needs. Nothing else matters because no one will use your phone the way you use your phone.

shefiu

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
If WP8 fails it will not be solely due to the reintroduction of Blackberry to the market. This flame war between bb and wp8 is getting out of hand. At the end of the day no one can predict the future. Speculation may be entertaining to some but its not hard fact. Both platform's have their own set of strengths and weaknesses that appeal and in some cases do not appeal to whichever consumer is making considerations. Both companies face an up hill battle but the dynamics of their respective struggles vary enough to clearly see they are fighting in different arenas. Of course there are similarities but their journeys to success do not exactly parallel. RIM isn't going anywhere, neither is MS. Whatever platform you choose is due to it meeting your specific needs. Nothing else matters because no one will use your phone the way you use your phone.

Couldn't have said it better myself :)

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
WP8 is the foundation its the building core. More pieces are going to be added over time and it's going to be a continuous evolving platform so what you see now is just the start. I'm sure the guys at Redmond have something good for us MWC 2013. Nokia + MS + WP8 + maybe even Windows 8 might as well rename MWC to Microsoft World Congress.

abhibh

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Guys keep the discussion healthy. If some apps don't come to WP i am sure MS will make them on their own just like Twitter / FB etc. Though it will take time.

I would also like to add the following:

1. Not everyone lives in US or UK where you get phones for $50 or subsidies. People in Asia, India and other countries pay the full price rather they pay even more than retail in US or UK.

2. You guys are saying entry level BB devices are cheap ? Cheap in what sense ? Price wise cheap or Quality wise ? If its quality wise please note these devices are for emerging markets and sold for $150-200 as full retail unlocked. Quality wise they are fine device for $150. Have ya guys seen those Samsung Android phones that sell for the same price or a little more in those countries ? They are nowhere close in terms of build to those $150 blackberries.

3. The problem with current Blackberry OS / devices is, their OS lags at times due to memory allocation and lack of apps. Their overall hardware is nice but it lacks in competition. BB9900 retails unlocked for the same price of HTC8X / One X / S3. Now BB can't compete with those devices, but BB990 is a solid and a very nice device to hold in hand. The keypad is also one of the best.

4. A lot of guys have doubts that the applications wont make its way to BB. Let me tell you that though you are right when you see a few Berryscoope screenshots, but when you see YouTube videos of the devices you can make out that a lot of applications that are not available on WP8 are there. But how well they work and integrate, we still cannot say. But it looks like RIM is making those application themselves, by using the API's. Hope MS take this initiative if developers don't jump to their wagon.

5. Few posts say that BB have no innovation or they have copied for iOS / Android / WP / Meego. You can say the same for Android or any phone that has grid of icons. Lets say iPhone made a platform for such grid icons, now everyone is using that platform and adding stuff to that platform with their own flavor. That still counts as innovation. Android is innovative because they added more to what iOS can do. BB gestures are innovative even though they copied the live frames from Meego. Maybe they added some new things to those Live Frames to make them more usable / attractive / innovative.

Keep in mind that BB and WP are not going anywhere soon, they will fight for market share and they will take bite at both iOS and Android, though very small bites to start with.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
In 1999, RIM released its first BlackBerry devices, making secure real-time push-email communications possible on wireless devices. The introduction of Blackberry devices with voice, data, browser, messaging and organizer applications in 2002 marked the first true smartphone.

:)

So claims the writer of the wiki article, and it's still Wiki.

Ya, I was wondering the same.

Use of Active Frames. I know functionally they are different but the idea's relatively the same, and that's really all I'm getting at. If you're gonna nitpick me on how it's not exactly the same then you're missing my point.

bb10_fan

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Use of Active Frames. I know functionally they are different but the idea's relatively the same, and that's really all I'm getting at. If you're gonna nitpick me on how it's not exactly the same then you're missing my point.
Wow, please, don't tell me that you truly believe MS was the first with Active Frames (do you actually refer to Tiles or those views of apps you see when you press and hold back button?)

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
So claims the writer of the wiki article, and it's still Wiki.

I disagree COMPLETELY with that statement.

bb10_fan

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Live Tiles, which yes I know some will say, oh that's just like widgets etc, etc.
But you are still not convinced that widgets on Symbian/Maemo (father of MeeGo)/Android are predecessors of Live Tiles? (this reminds me iPhone fans who always say that rectangular shape of iPhone 4/4S/5 was invented by Apple. They don't care that LG Prada was released few years before)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3