Could BlackBerry 10 kill Windows Phone?

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
IMO, although wp8 is great, BB10 is going wipe the floor with them! I believe wp8 is a better alternative to android (not ios) but b10 will kill it before it has time to really show its true potential...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Last I checked, the Curve is sporting OS7. What exactly is so "cheap" about the Curve? Can't be the feature set since it mimics even the Bold series. In fact the Curve has an auto-focus shooter as opposed to the Bold's EDF. If you're calling the Curve cheap because of its plastic materials, how do you explain the Focus, or any Samsung for that matter?
There are a lot of 8520 Curves still being sold in emerging markets. Those are cheap OS5 devices. For example, I checked BlackBerry Nigeria, and the 8520 is still listed. Yes, the 9360 and 9380 are available; however, the 8520 would be much cheaper. The 8520 is 3 1/2 years old.

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
There are a lot of 8520 Curves still being sold in emerging markets. Those are cheap OS5 devices. For example, I checked BlackBerry Nigeria, and the 8520 is still listed. Yes, the 9360 and 9380 are available; however, the 8520 would be much cheaper. The 8520 is 3 1/2 years old.

So an iphone 3gs is cheap? No, its old, just as the 8520 is old.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So an iphone 3gs is cheap? No, its old, just as the 8520 is old.
The old (and cheap) devices are no longer sold by any of the major US carriers. AT&T does not sell the 8520 or 3GS.

The 8520 was cheap even when new. The 9700 was the higher priced BlackBerry device sold during the same time period.

The 3GS was much more expensive than the 8520 when both were current devices.

wcars0hq

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Can't wait to get my BB10....I would never own an android anything because it is GOOGLE (genes make you unique, GOOGLE makes you common) but would consider WP8 before iOS. So I guess WP8 gets second place with me and that ain't so bad :-D

anon3700711

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
My problem with BB10 is that they are screaming innovation yet I don't see too much (yet) the active frames, clock. Calendar etc is taken from Meego (Nokia N9). Their timeshift camera isn't unique either, Nokia Smartshoot does it too.

Dear fan boy,

Nokia bought the technology behind the camera AFTER RIM received it through licensing. They practically stole it because they couldn't deal with RIM having it. They copycated RIM, nothing else.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Dear fan boy,

Nokia bought the technology behind the camera AFTER RIM received it through licensing. They practically stole it because they couldn't deal with RIM having it. They copycated RIM, nothing else.
RIM could have bought the technology. It didn't. Nokia did.

There was no stealing by either company. One company purchased the technology, but the other company did not.

anon3700711

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So you think blackberry 10 is just going to be initially without bugs?? Right. The gripes people find in windows phone 8, they'll find problems with bb10. And just like Microsoft, they are starting with a brand new os with NO major appealing apps. Functional or not, being without Skype, Instagram, Netflix, and other major players on release day is going to be a problem.

You know nothing.
:wink:

RIM already has Skype, Instagram, Netflix and the major players on board and their apps will available ON launch day of BB10 .... Jan 31st, 2013.

BB10 is going to have the apps WP8 doesn't have and WP7 didn't have on release day, i.e. Instagram, etc.

igw51i.jpg

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-rumors-f40/list-confirmed-apps-coming-bb10-751324/

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

You know nothing.

RIM already has Skype, Instagram, Netflix and the major players on board and their apps will available ON launch day of BB10 .... Jan 31st, 2013.

BB10 is going to have the apps WP8 doesn't have and WP7 didn't have on release day, i.e. Instagram, etc.

http://i48.tinypic.com/igw51i.jpg

List: Confirmed Apps coming to BB10 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
Where is the proof that Netflix and Skype will be available? Skype was supposed to be available on the Playbook (its logo was shown on demos shortly after its release); however, that hasn't happened in over 1 1/2 years.

anon3700711

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Where is the proof that Netflix and Skype will be available? Skype was supposed to be available on the Playbook (its logo was shown on demos shortly after its release); however, that hasn't happened in over 1 1/2 years.

Skype developers were present at BlackBerry Jam (Developer Conference), common knowledge, and the BlackBerry Leak Twitter which is ran by a guy at RIM has confirmed it. His leaks have been accurate so far.

So where's your Instagram client for WP7 and WP8? Oh wait, it's never coming.

magutwit1

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sv: Could BlackBerry 10 kill Windows Phone?

I don't see that happening. First of, BlackBerry its only popular in the states. I've never ever seen a blackberry in Europe so if your world is not bigger than the US then sure it might kill Windows phone.
But I hate to be the one to bring you the news, but the US is NOT the world and the US is just a tiny player in the phone market.

Is it a joke? Where are you from? Because I live in Paris (France) and in my personal surrounding I only see the iPhones and the BBs, some Galaxy phones, but not that much. Besides, I see young people almost exclusively with BBs (+Iphones).

shefiu

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Skype developers were present at BlackBerry Jam (Developer Conference), common knowledge, and the BlackBerry Leak Twitter which is ran by a guy at RIM has confirmed it. His leaks have been accurate so far.

So where's your Instagram client for WP7 and WP8? Oh wait, it's never coming.

Erm I am a BB fan but I would state "facts" that are essentially rumours with a pinch of salt.. Netflix is rumored to be in beta testing and could be available at launch. as per skype that same twitter account has asked its followers not to be disappointed if skype isnt available at launch and other alternatives will be available. It sucks, yes. but lets not forget skype is M$ property now, but I am still optimistic that it could come to the BB10 platform eventually, and hopefully sooner rather than later...

magutwit1

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Anyway, I think it's a huge mistake to engage any BB vs WP battle. I truly wish both to succeed and to reduce the iOs and Android shares, that's the only way for them to survive actually.
It's only about the market and about the economy : if there is any monopoly or even a duopoly, one or two BIG actors will always destroy a challenger (even such a huge corp as Microsoft). C'mon, if Apple had a huge and quick success with his iPhone once, that's only because at the time the phone market was fragmented, there were lots of players and people had the habit of changing their phones and the phone brands. Things will not be the same now. Suppose RIM dies quickly, the WP will be let alone with the iPhones and the Androids (=cheaper iPhones), do you really think that the WP could survive in this case? Really? It would only be a matter of time. Same thing for RIM if the WP fails badly.
The best thing for RIM, Microsoft, the competitive market and all the users would be if the market became more balanced with say 4 or 5 big players. The market of 3 is a really bad configuration (2 will always plot against the third), 4 or 5 is much better, stable and dynamic at the same time.

P.S. Hence, I think Microsoft not letting Skype on the BB is not the best thing to do. Not the best thing for Microsoft, I believe it.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
IMO unless BB is pricing their phones like their competitors or cheaper like the Lumias, they won't be able to gain new subscribers. They charged like 250 on contract for the last Bold models. Are you serious? No way people will shell out that for a BLACKBERRY in these times

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

You know nothing.

http://i48.tinypic.com/igw51i.jpg

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-rumors-f40/list-confirmed-apps-coming-bb10-751324/

What the **** did that screen cap prove? That I was RIGHT? *guffaws*

You know nothing. And please stop spreading this word of mouth "common knowledge" information around like it's FACT.

magutwit1

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
BB has a loyal fan base in the UK, but it was mainly due to BBM and the physical keyboard. BBM is kinda redundant since cross-platform messaging apps have taken off and BB10 switches to full touchscreen...

No that redundant actually, because there's one big difference between BBM and other cross-platform messaging services : security of the communication. Ok, you may tell me that nobody knows that, nobody cares about that, it just reminded me that scandal in the UK when rioters used BBM and still RIM refused to communicate the data to the authorities (would it be text messages, FB messages or a new cross-platform messaging service, the police would have it all and quickly). Tell them to pass to other services, I bet they wouldn't go....more globally, people around the world get anxious about the use of their personal data, so the "security" argument (which RIM has) may still be appealing to some....

MikeTheYid

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
No that redundant actually, because there's one big difference between BBM and other cross-platform messaging services : security of the communication. Ok, you may tell me that nobody knows that, nobody cares about that, it just reminded me that scandal in the UK when rioters used BBM and still RIM refused to communicate the data to the authorities (would it be text messages, FB messages or a new cross-platform messaging service, the police would have it all and quickly). Tell them to pass to other services, I bet they wouldn't go....more globally, people around the world get anxious about the use of their personal data, so the "security" argument (which RIM has) may still be appealing to some....
Vringing up the riot is pointless, companies dont hand over data without warrants.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Like some have mentioned, the problem I see with Blackberry is how unknown it is in Europe. I don't know what's the situation in Asia, though.

Finland is a bad example due to Nokia, but I've never in my life seen a blackberry, I've also travelled quite a bit around Europe. There is no retailers for Blackberry in Finland at all, there is zero demand around here. That said, everyone started from nothing, so it's not out of the question that BB would succesfully invade Europe too if BB10 is a success.

However, I'm wonder who beats the competition in making a modern, new touchscreen smartphone with full QWERTY. I think Nokia's E7 was well recieved in the business world (at least around here, no surprise though), I'm expecting something like that cos at least in Finland there is really no new phone that does that, if you want a phone like that you find yourself looking at 2010 models or so. WP7 used to have some full QWERTY phones, so it should be doable on WP8 too. This could also be THE thing to make BB10 lucrative in some markets, cos currently nobody else offers it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3