Google's Interesting Turn of Events

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
the op didn't ask who wins. He said call me when Skype can do 5 man video call and the answer is Skype can do that and it was proven by an article. Of course since the original question was answered you're gonna take it to the next lvl and say something that had nothing to do with the original question.

Ok, fine. Your point is a technicality, however it is strictly correct and so well taken. The spirit of OP's question was essentially which is better. And comparing service A which has feature foo where one pays a non-trivial fee to service B which provides feature foo1 with identical functionality for free leads me to conclude that service B is better. This is not an answer to OP's post nor is it strictly relevant to the thread topic. But who of us would live in a world where forum threads stayed strictly on topic :D

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Skype Premium - $9 a month. Hangouts - $0 a month. Hangouts wins. The latter is also much smoother on lower bandwidth connections. Hangouts is usable over 3G for me, Skype can barely maintain audio clarity, never mind keep up with video.

Also, $9 may not seem like much to most people, but here in India where I pay $20 for 10 Mbps unlimited broadband, it's quite a bit.

Google also comes with free wiretapping and call recording with government reporting features. Who wouldn't want that?

Oh, and to use it on a mobile device you also need to have one that is infested with Google's invasive spyware.

Google's current business model is based on the realization that people don't really mind spyware as long as it comes with services. 96% of their revenue is in jeopardy if that ever changes.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
what i read a week or two ago was that a Google representative came out and said that they have no plans to make apps for WindowsPhone and Windows 8 because of it's low market share, so I side with the OP, god damn double standard... not sure how BB10 will do, but I sure as **** don't see it making any significant impact initially, may be end of the year it might?

dba415

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
face it though, Windows Phone will never take off without Google support. Google is the most used internet company if you talk about everything that they offer. Google is trying to kill Windows Phone and I am believing that it's working and Microsoft can't do anything to stop it.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The funny thing is, I'm willing to pay for Skype Premium. I don't mind. If people will only use Google+ Hangouts to video call me, I just won't video call them period. I have zero interest in Google+ as a whole. I use Facebook for my main social network, and Twitter as a secondary.

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Google also comes with free wiretapping and call recording with government reporting features. Who wouldn't want that?

Oh, and to use it on a mobile device you also need to have one that is infested with Google's invasive spyware.

Google's current business model is based on the realization that people don't really mind spyware as long as it comes with services. 96% of their revenue is in jeopardy if that ever changes.

Lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

Ok, I'm calling you out, that's just plain lying. Prove me wrong.

No, quoting 500 page conspiracy blogs about random mumblings does not count. Proooooove it.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
So, I found this article about Google integrating Google Talk into BB10 at launch: BB 10 Twitter and Google Talk app integration leaks ahead of launch

If I remember correctly, doesn't RIM have lower market numbers than WP8? I feel like there's a double standard being played here from Google. Thoughts from anyone else?

Microsoft: android SUCKS !
Google: bwuuuuh ? Blinks
Microsoft: give us free apps for our mobile platform !
Google: lol
Microsoft: not fair !!!
RIM: heeeeeeeeeey guuuuuys, I'm baaaaaaack !
Microsoft: there's only one turd and its all for me !!!
RIM: Spell check ftw, I just stole third AND your lunch.

Coming to a theatre near you in summer 2013.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Serious question... Who the **** uses Google+?

I'm just thankful I had an older YouTube account before they forced you to integrate with that spyware service.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I'm calling you out, that's just plain lying. Prove me wrong.

No, quoting 500 page conspiracy blogs about random mumblings does not count. Proooooove it.

LOL. You think Google gives out services for free out of Kindness?

You think they paid for Obama's inauguration with user goodwill?

I would call some Chinese bloggers in as witnesses but they are unfortunately deceased after Google turned their identities over to their government.

Not wanting to believe in Google's business model and government ties doesn't make them nonexistant.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
LOL. You think Google gives out services for free out of Kindness?

You think they paid for Obama's inauguration with user goodwill?

I would call some Chinese bloggers in as witnesses but they are unfortunately deceased after Google turned their identities over to their government.

Not wanting to believe in Google's business model and government ties doesn't make them nonexistant.

So, no proof ?

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Serious question... Who the **** uses Google+?

I'm just thankful I had an older YouTube account before they forced you to integrate with that spyware service.

I use Google+. I honestly believe it's better than Facebook, although, since picking up a WP8 device I've been on Facebook A LOT more (the FB app for Android SUCKS). Anywho, I'm also a software dev and photographer, and Google+ is apparently a haven for both, so go figure.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
So, no proof ?

Your Proof,

https://sites.google.com/site/net205apples/google-business-model

I will quote 3 parts to shorten the read.

[INFO]

"Google generated about $21 billion in revenue last year. The vast majority of that revenue, well over 95%, comes from advertising via its search engine and its AdSense program, which places ads on millions of websites" (Parr, n.d.).
[/INFO]

[INFO]
Google AdSense

"Google believes relevant advertising can be as useful as search results or other forms of content" (Google Business Overview, n.d.). To this end, Google has developed the AdSense program to enhance the user's experience to a website. While utilising the technologies behind Google Search, AdSense uses keywords to precisely target results so advertising content is delivered based on page content. Google believes "advertisers, publishers, and information seekers all profit as a result (Google Business Overview, n.d.).

Google AdWords

In combination with AdSense Google developed the "AdWords [program] for advertisers who want to reach a qualified audience as efficiently as possible" (Google Business Overview, n.d.).

[/INFO]

[INFO]Customers have needs, wants and nice-to-haves and traditional business models fulfil these for their customers. Google offers its customers needs, wants, and nice-to-haves for free (Pollard, n.d.). In return, whether knowingly or not, users create data whilst using Google services and products which creates information that is listed in the Google Search Engine; advertisement is then tailored based on the content delivered.
[/INFO]

Key phrase "whether knowingly or not, users create data whilst using Google services and products"

That's just a nice way of saying they are tracking and compiling data based on your use of there services and products. All of them, nothing is free, you use Google services in exchange for your right to privacy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism