Google's Interesting Turn of Events

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
If I remember correctly, doesn't RIM have lower market numbers than WP8? I feel like there's a double standard being played here from Google. Thoughts from anyone else?

You don't know the deal behind this. If Google gets some kind of compensation, that would never happen with Microsoft. Microsoft wants Bing on its platform and I'm not sure how interested they really are in getting Google products to run on Windows Phone.

Also, there are this patent fees producers of Android products have to pay Microsoft for every phone. That's a great basis for producing tension :wink:

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I think Google Talk has some public APIs that can be used by 3rd parties. Maybe Microsoft just chose not to add Google Talk into their OS?

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Yea I understand, I just read today Google already have Google Talk apps, the whole 9, for BB 10. And that piece of **** platform not even out yet. Talk about business practices.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
It is a possibility that Google doesn't have a single hand in this and that RIM just baked it in themselves. It just caught me off guard to see that it would have support in BB10 but not in Windows Phone.

Chregu, I think I'm leaning more towards MS doesn't want it baked in to the OS more than the licensing. I know that Google manufacturers are having to pay the licensing, but I don't think Google themselves are. Then again, I'm no insider here, just an outside observer making his own ideas based on the limited knowledge presented.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Google is going to loose this little battle with MS. The way I look at it, I have invested money in MS with hardware. I have not invested any money in google software. I will dump Google before I dump MS. Am I the only one that sees it this way? I'm already in the process of getting everything Google out of my life. They are just making it difficult to use their services.

profet

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Google Talk is accessible via XMPP.

Same protocol as Facebook Chat, Live Messenger, etc.

It wouldn't be hard for Microsoft to just turn this on. It's a choice by Microsoft.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Skype is the future of messaging at Microsoft. It is a superior product to the collection of google crap and is used more world wide than google talk that's for sure.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

cuzincurly

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
never used google except for the search app, my gmail is reserved for spam mail and less important subscriptions :)) Yahoo mail (still use yahoo messenger haha) or outlook is the way to go

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Skype is the future of messaging at Microsoft. It is a superior product to the collection of google crap and is used more world wide than google talk that's for sure.
I really like Skype and have been using it for years, but it is in no way superior to Google+ Hangouts. Sorry, but it doesn't even come close.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
I had a 5 way video conversation with my friends on Google Hangout last week. Call me when Skype has the ability to do that. Until then kthxbye k?

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

Skype Premium - $9 a month. Hangouts - $0 a month. Hangouts wins. The latter is also much smoother on lower bandwidth connections. Hangouts is usable over 3G for me, Skype can barely maintain audio clarity, never mind keep up with video.

Also, $9 may not seem like much to most people, but here in India where I pay $20 for 10 Mbps unlimited broadband, it's quite a bit.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Skype Premium - $9 a month. Hangouts - $0 a month. Hangouts wins. The latter is also much smoother on lower bandwidth connections. Hangouts is usable over 3G for me, Skype can barely maintain audio clarity, never mind keep up with video.

Also, $9 may not seem like much to most people, but here in India where I pay $20 for 10 Mbps unlimited broadband, it's quite a bit.

the op didn't ask who wins. He said call me when Skype can do 5 man video call and the answer is Skype can do that and it was proven by an article. Of course since the original question was answered you're gonna take it to the next lvl and say something that had nothing to do with the original question.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
the op didn't ask who wins. He said call me when Skype can do 5 man video call and the answer is Skype can do that and it was proven by an article. Of course since the original question was answered you're gonna take it to the next lvl and say something that had nothing to do with the original question.
yeah I didn't mean a solution where I'd pay freakin $10 per month for this. And is this even available on the mobile version?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3