Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySal View Post
    Let them bask in the short lived spotlight. Let them be happy that they finally get to jump from 2007 to 2010.

Attachment 27812
    I wouldn't call the hardware entirely a 2010 matter. It shares a SoC with the Lumia 920 (Qualcomm S4), it has the same resolution as the Lumia 920 (albeit on a smaller 4.2" display that likely lacks the refresh rate and touch sensitivity of the 920), and it boasts 2 GB of RAM (to the 920's single GB). I'm in no way impressed by the device, but it is not simply a 2010 release.

Global Posts
    8,063 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    MS didn't retain their Windows Mobile core not did they get them back.
    And remind me how well that's working out for Microsoft again?

Moreover, Microsoft is a huge company, which has income from a ton of different departments. Blackberry just has Blackberry (hence their rebranding).

Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    I wouldn't call the hardware entirely a 2010 matter. It shares a SoC with the Lumia 920 (Qualcomm S4), it has the same resolution as the Lumia 920 (albeit on a smaller 4.2" display that likely lacks the refresh rate and touch sensitivity of the 920), and it boasts 2 GB of RAM (to the 920's single GB). I'm in no way impressed by the device, but it is not simply a 2010 release.
    Which, like android, means little if you're incapable of utilizing it.
    LeLee092 likes this.

Global Posts
    559 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    ??

It has real multitasking with the ability to run 8 apps at the same time. Nothing like this reloading stuff we have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by jdhooghe View Post
    I'm actually scared going into crackberry. There is a fanaticism there that alarms me and it's amazing how they call anyone who uses iOS as iSheep and yet overlook how completely insane they are.
    Take it from an outsider that visits both sites, WPcentral is much MUCH MUCH worse than Crackberry. At least they know that they are biased, WPcentral thinks that they are partial but that is so far from the truth that it is ridiculous. For example, the camera and sensitive touch screen is still being touted as the second coming of Jesus and this is apparently a fact to WPcentralers but outsiders just don't give a crap about those features. However, in reality to outsiders, waking up the handset without pressing standby/power/home button plus the notification HUB far outweighs things like beats audio and wide front facing cameras to a lot of people, including myself.
    Thanked by:
    Napocensis and FinancialP like this.

I don't know. I would rather brag about hardware that I didn't make use of rather than running around saying I would totally beat that guy in a race if I had a Ferrari like him. I'll take the meaningless hardware over software that doesn't push the hardware at all any day myself.

I had a bb storm. Yea I know. But I left bb after my contract ended and have been with windows phone since. I know its a new bb experience but I'm not willing to go back to it. I love my 920 and rt and w8 desktop. To me windows is more of the experience I want. Albeit there still are some things I wish it had or could do I am happy with the route I have chosen.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    Not too bad. Gaining more and more market share. Slowly, but still gaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    And remind me how well that's working out for Microsoft again?

Moreover, Microsoft is a huge company, which has income from a ton of different departments. Blackberry just has Blackberry (hence their rebranding).
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr

Quote Originally Posted by FinancialP View Post
    ??

It has real multitasking with the ability to run 8 apps at the same time. Nothing like this reloading stuff we have to do.
    What reloading?

Good WP apps use the app pause functionality. If I switch to something else and come back to an app (such as wpcentral) I'm right where I left off. No reload at all. It just paused it which helps battery life significantly.

I'd much rather have WP style "multitasking" then have 8 apps ACTUALLY running at the same time and killing my battery.

Global Posts
    559 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spaulagain View Post
    What reloading?

Good WP apps use the app pause functionality. If I switch to something else and come back to an app (such as wpcentral) I'm right where I left off. No reload at all. It just paused it which helps battery life significantly.

I'd much rather have WP style "multitasking" then have 8 apps ACTUALLY running at the same time and killing my battery.
    What reloading? Seriously?

Leave an app go to the start screen and select the exact same app again. Watch it reload.

Global Posts
    1,044 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomatoes11 View Post
    I don't know. I would rather brag about hardware that I didn't make use of rather than running around saying I would totally beat that guy in a race if I had a Ferrari like him. I'll take the meaningless hardware over software that doesn't push the hardware at all any day myself.
    Really. Then you are in the minority. Personally, I'd rather have the performance of the engine to match the body of the vehicle. It sounds like you'd be happier putting a Ferrari engine into a front end loader.
    My next phone...
    What reloading? Seriously?

Leave an app go to the start screen and select the exact same app again. Watch it reload.
    You two aren't talking about the same thing. Paul is talking about app switching from the app switcher, while you are talking about app launching from the start screen.

I think Paul's argument would be that if you don't want to reload an app, then don't relaunch it from the start screen. Simple as that. Use the app switcher instead, as intended by the OS.

Despite that, I do think MS has completely screwed up app launching/resuming in WP8, because it isn't deterministic. What actually happens when launching/resuming isn't controlled by the OS, but rather by each individual app. Bugs in apps can prevent apps from resuming correctly/quickly, while what happens when relaunching is entirely up to the app. IMHO this just isn't reliable and consistent enough.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    Just watched the 10 minute video on CB. I like the OS even more. The way you unlock the screen is sweet! The icons are static, I find boring. I would give it a shot, if it wasn't for the app situation. I feel that's the one thing that will hold both WP and BB back. Who ever gets better 3rd party app support will win the battle for 3rd place.

Global Posts
    559 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    You two aren't talking about the same thing. Paul is talking about app switching from the app switcher, while you are talking about app launching from the start screen.

I think Paul's argument would be that if you don't want to reload an app, then don't relaunch it from the start screen. Simple as that. Use the app switcher instead, as intended by the OS.

Despite that, I do think MS has completely screwed up app launching/resuming in WP8, because it isn't deterministic. What actually happens when launching/resuming isn't controlled by the OS, but rather by each individual app. Bugs in apps can prevent apps from resuming correctly/quickly, while what happens when relaunching is entirely up to the app. IMHO this just isn't reliable and consistent enough.
    It shouldn't matter where I launch the app from. Not if I just left the app! I shouldn't have to sit through a new launch.

iOS doesn't do this
    Android doesn't do this
    Now Blackberry doesn't do this
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    Agreed. Its very annoying
    It shouldn't matter where I launch the app from. Not if I just left the app! I shouldn't have to sit through a new launch.

iOS doesn't do this
    Android doesn't do this

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post

I agree with you that this should not be left up to developers. However, WP8 DOES support fast resume from the tiles. Again, only if the app has been coded to use that feature, but it is now fully possible (and very easy from what I understand).

Agree that they screwed up by not simply doing this right at the os level.
    Quote Originally Posted by poddie View Post
    However, WP8 DOES support fast resume from the tiles
    I wasn't very clear when I said: "what happens when relaunching (from a live tile) is entirely up to the app". However, that was meant to imply that "fast resume" was one of the options.
    Thanks for clarifying that!

Don't get me wrong. I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just not as riled up about it as others. After all, it's not like using the right tool to invoke the desired behaviour (in this case the task switcher) is beyond yours or anyone else's ability, right?

IMHO it could just as well work according to your preferences. I don't really care. Behaviourally it just needs to be consistent, which it currently isn't. I believe this to be the far more serious issue.

Back to BB10?
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    When I first heard about it, all of the gestures, the innovative hardware, the time shift camera, the UX and the keyboard, I was completely intimidated. When they had their port-a-thon and supposedly got a ton of apps ported over, I was downright scared for Windows Phone. This could have knocked Windows Phone light years out of the cell phone race right? Right?
    Yesterday, I watched the presentation in full, wondering if it'd be worth porting some of my old android games on to. The gestures are overlookable, the camera is beat out by my 2006 winmo device, the apps make even windows phone's selection look huge in comparison,gaming is going to be absolutely laughable and the rendering on the browser is pretty awful. The UI looks like android vomited on meego and they pushed it out. With all of the capabilities of QNX, I really expected something astounding... I'm more than a little disappointed and I don't see any reason why anyone would make the switch from windows phone, or even android and iOS to blackberry. It's absolutely appalling.
    ok so wait... there was really nothing in the presentation that had not already been leaked like... all over the dang place. But now just because some stiff techno awkward geeks presented it in a boring manner, but nothing has changed from what you (are pretending you) already knew and have seen, it's now terrible? Are you confused, or something more extreme?

Blackberry just copied MeeGo OS... if Nokia ever take MeeGo seriously than new BB OS never come to reality...
    ClixT likes this.

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    I think the OS has bigtime promise. (Except the old Android Gingerbread runtime it uses.) However it looks like the hardware of the Z10 is going to be it's initial weakness. Looks like the camera is bad and the battery life is horrible. Plus it won't be here in the United States until March when we will probably hear about the Galaxy 4 and newer Lumia devices.
    new rumor with better reliability came out today with galaxy s4 launching in 3rd week of April.

Blackberry is like Windows. Since when did anyone get excited about mundane work softwares? :P

Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by omniusovermind View Post
    ok so wait... there was really nothing in the presentation that had not already been leaked like... all over the dang place. But now just because some stiff techno awkward geeks presented it in a boring manner, but nothing has changed from what you (are pretending you) already knew and have seen, it's now terrible? Are you confused, or something more extreme?
    I didn't fervently follow BB OS and mostly paid attention to what people on this forum said. They blew a lot of the functionality way out of proportion.

I could careless about BB. No way I would convert to all their services. I use office, excel everyday and now I'm hardwired in...loving it.

iOS doesn't do this
    Android doesn't do this
    hmm...idk what phone your using buddy..
    for instance on my HTC 8x if I'm listening to music(Amazing music) and I'm on twitter(Rowi), and I have to go to the start screen for whatever reason, to go back to my music player or twitter page all i do is hold the back buttom and all 'windows' of app im using pop up, I just slide to Rowi and I'm right back sending a tweet, no reloading.

I used to do the same exact process in Android except a pop up of my app icons will appear instead...

I can send you screen caps if you'd like

Global Posts
    2,799 Global Posts
    Again, why do y'all care? I think one general BB topic would've sufficed. Now it looks as if this forum IS caring.

And as far as my personal opinion, the "flow" looks neat. Hate the homescreen and the lack of apps
    Nokia Lumia 1020/Blu Studio 5.0 LTE owner here...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast