Anyone Else Just Completely Disappointed by BB10?

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
When I first heard about it, all of the gestures, the innovative hardware, the time shift camera, the UX and the keyboard, I was completely intimidated. When they had their port-a-thon and supposedly got a ton of apps ported over, I was downright scared for Windows Phone. This could have knocked Windows Phone light years out of the cell phone race right? Right?
Yesterday, I watched the presentation in full, wondering if it'd be worth porting some of my old android games on to. The gestures are overlookable, the camera is beat out by my 2006 winmo device, the apps make even windows phone's selection look huge in comparison,gaming is going to be absolutely laughable and the rendering on the browser is pretty awful. The UI looks like android vomited on meego and they pushed it out. With all of the capabilities of QNX, I really expected something astounding... I'm more than a little disappointed and I don't see any reason why anyone would make the switch from windows phone, or even android and iOS to blackberry. It's absolutely appalling.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I was impressed with it. Not sure id switch from any Os to it quite yet though. But going by crackberry, the loyalist are liking it.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
But going by crackberry, the loyalist are liking it.

Quite frankly, it doesn't matter what the fans on Crackberry think. What matters is getting back the swarms of users who weren't loyal and switched to iPhone, Android, or even on some occasions, WP. I'm not quite sure that they did enough to make that happen, though the positive media coverage is more than I was expecting.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Crackberry and iMore have the biggest fanboys I've ever seen and I don't understand it. This phone looks like an OG Droid with a worse camera and an equally old UI. This would've been great in 06 or 07.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually scared going into crackberry. There is a fanaticism there that alarms me and it's amazing how they call anyone who uses iOS as iSheep and yet overlook how completely insane they are.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I pretty much liked the "remember"-app. Had a few times on my 7 Pro (and other phones) where I wanted something like that...

The keyboard seems to be awesome as well. The only thing is: how well will it work for "normal" users and not for a guy who had enough time to try the same few words/sentences for the presentation...

The "Storymaker" and the work/private-settings impressed me too.... so there are a few things I really liked and I am sure these will be the "killer-features" if they really do work well... But all in all: I don't know how the whole multitasking argument will stand after a few weeks of usage... Can not imagine a "true" multitsasking with 8 apps running being battery-friendly...

All in all: I like the idea of BB being innovative and like the nice new features they introduced yesterday. iOS, Android and WP liked them as well (I am sure) and will try to do something alike...and that would be awesome for all of us! But I thought the presentation would show us more awesome stuff :(

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
BB10 was getting a lot of praise on CNN yesterday, but today they were saying the OS is about a year behind the competition. It looks ok to me.

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I watched a review video of the Z10 and I thought the phone and the OS looked terrible, and there's no freakin start screen. The whole OS seems jumbled and incohesive it looks like the results of a smartphone OS train crash.

Tiwo

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Maybe if you guys understand a little dutch, check out this report: BlackBerry Z10 - Video's - Tweakers

At around 4:10 he's starting to talk(you can see it, for the non-dutch ppl :p) about lag on the phone, whilst during the presentation it was all about 'the flow of BB'. Now that is what I call disappointing.

Also, the icons look horrible from the app drawer, tbh.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
They don't need to win back anyone who left their platform. They could retain their loyal base and then pick up new smartphone users. To say it doesn't matter what fans say is a ridiculous statement.
Quite frankly, it doesn't matter what the fans on Crackberry think. What matters is getting back the swarms of users who weren't loyal and switched to iPhone, Android, or even on some occasions, WP. I'm not quite sure that they did enough to make that happen, though the positive media coverage is more than I was expecting.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
They don't need to win back anyone who left their platform. They could retain their loyal base and then pick up new smartphone users. To say it doesn't matter what fans say is a ridiculous statement.

However, when you see 3 complete OSes, two of which offer a cheaper alternative with more power, why would you pick the most incomplete and expensive one?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I think the OS has bigtime promise. (Except the old Android Gingerbread runtime it uses.) However it looks like the hardware of the Z10 is going to be it's initial weakness. Looks like the camera is bad and the battery life is horrible. Plus it won't be here in the United States until March when we will probably hear about the Galaxy 4 and newer Lumia devices.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
What's the 3 complete OSs? Android, iOS and? WP is far from complete. I don't even think Android and iOS are complete.

People will choose it because they are BB enthusiast. People will choose ot because they want something different. Many people are choosing WP because it's different from the usual android and IOS phones.
However, when you see 3 complete OSes, two of which offer a cheaper alternative with more power, why would you pick the most incomplete and expensive one?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte