Anyone Else Just Completely Disappointed by BB10?

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
You two aren't talking about the same thing. Paul is talking about app switching from the app switcher, while you are talking about app launching from the start screen.

I think Paul's argument would be that if you don't want to reload an app, then don't relaunch it from the start screen. Simple as that. Use the app switcher instead, as intended by the OS.

Despite that, I do think MS has completely screwed up app launching/resuming in WP8, because it isn't deterministic. What actually happens when launching/resuming isn't controlled by the OS, but rather by each individual app. Bugs in apps can prevent apps from resuming correctly/quickly, while what happens when relaunching is entirely up to the app. IMHO this just isn't reliable and consistent enough.

I agree with you that this should not be left up to developers. However, WP8 DOES support fast resume from the tiles. Again, only if the app has been coded to use that feature, but it is now fully possible (and very easy from what I understand).

Agree that they screwed up by not simply doing this right at the os level.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
However, WP8 DOES support fast resume from the tiles
I wasn't very clear when I said: "what happens when relaunching (from a live tile) is entirely up to the app". However, that was meant to imply that "fast resume" was one of the options.
Thanks for clarifying that! :smile:

It shouldn't matter where I launch the app from. Not if I just left the app! I shouldn't have to sit through a new launch.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just not as riled up about it as others. After all, it's not like using the right tool to invoke the desired behaviour (in this case the task switcher) is beyond yours or anyone else's ability, right?

IMHO it could just as well work according to your preferences. I don't really care. Behaviourally it just needs to be consistent, which it currently isn't. I believe this to be the far more serious issue.

Back to BB10? :smile:

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
When I first heard about it, all of the gestures, the innovative hardware, the time shift camera, the UX and the keyboard, I was completely intimidated. When they had their port-a-thon and supposedly got a ton of apps ported over, I was downright scared for Windows Phone. This could have knocked Windows Phone light years out of the cell phone race right? Right?
Yesterday, I watched the presentation in full, wondering if it'd be worth porting some of my old android games on to. The gestures are overlookable, the camera is beat out by my 2006 winmo device, the apps make even windows phone's selection look huge in comparison,gaming is going to be absolutely laughable and the rendering on the browser is pretty awful. The UI looks like android vomited on meego and they pushed it out. With all of the capabilities of QNX, I really expected something astounding... I'm more than a little disappointed and I don't see any reason why anyone would make the switch from windows phone, or even android and iOS to blackberry. It's absolutely appalling.

ok so wait... there was really nothing in the presentation that had not already been leaked like... all over the dang place. But now just because some stiff techno awkward geeks presented it in a boring manner, but nothing has changed from what you (are pretending you) already knew and have seen, it's now terrible? Are you confused, or something more extreme?

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I think the OS has bigtime promise. (Except the old Android Gingerbread runtime it uses.) However it looks like the hardware of the Z10 is going to be it's initial weakness. Looks like the camera is bad and the battery life is horrible. Plus it won't be here in the United States until March when we will probably hear about the Galaxy 4 and newer Lumia devices.

new rumor with better reliability came out today with galaxy s4 launching in 3rd week of April.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
ok so wait... there was really nothing in the presentation that had not already been leaked like... all over the dang place. But now just because some stiff techno awkward geeks presented it in a boring manner, but nothing has changed from what you (are pretending you) already knew and have seen, it's now terrible? Are you confused, or something more extreme?
I didn't fervently follow BB OS and mostly paid attention to what people on this forum said. They blew a lot of the functionality way out of proportion.

sanders2232

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I could careless about BB. No way I would convert to all their services. I use office, excel everyday and now I'm hardwired in...loving it.

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
It shouldn't matter where I launch the app from. Not if I just left the app! I shouldn't have to sit through a new launch.

iOS doesn't do this
Android doesn't do this
Now Blackberry doesn't do this

hmm...idk what phone your using buddy..
for instance on my HTC 8x if I'm listening to music(Amazing music) and I'm on twitter(Rowi), and I have to go to the start screen for whatever reason, to go back to my music player or twitter page all i do is hold the back buttom and all 'windows' of app im using pop up, I just slide to Rowi and I'm right back sending a tweet, no reloading.

I used to do the same exact process in Android except a pop up of my app icons will appear instead...

I can send you screen caps if you'd like

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Again, why do y'all care? I think one general BB topic would've sufficed. Now it looks as if this forum IS caring.

And as far as my personal opinion, the "flow" looks neat. Hate the homescreen and the lack of apps

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok, when I was watching the 10 minute video on crackberry, I kept saying that some of the style of the OS reminded me of MeeGo, which isn't a bad thing. I liked MeeGo.
Blackberry just copied MeeGo OS... if Nokia ever take MeeGo seriously than new BB OS never come to reality...

Tiwo

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Maybe if you guys understand a little dutch, check out this report: BlackBerry Z10 - Video's - Tweakers

At around 4:10 he's starting to talk(you can see it, for the non-dutch ppl :p) about lag on the phone, whilst during the presentation it was all about 'the flow of BB'. Now that is what I call disappointing.

Also, the icons look horrible from the app drawer, tbh.

hahaha yeah! I was hoping for at least one like on this one :). Puts a little oil on the fire. WP is a lot smoother :>

bb10_fan

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Why WP users always compare app launcher of BB 10 with home screen of Windows Phone? Don't you even know that WP also has app launcher if you swipe right? Now let's compare app launchers on all major OSs, shall we?

BB 10/iOS/Android - static icons in paged grid layout. Simple, easy to use and organize.
Windows Phone - static icons in one long vertical list. Any way of organize those icons, I have not found a way yet. Is it possible to find an app fast, **** no, all icons of same color (except those who was lazy enough and didn't provide icons for each color theme).

@Tiwo "WP is a lot smoother :>" :) LOL, when you run only a single app on dual core processor and good GPU even Microsoft cannot screw it up. Still, I have to admit that browser on BB10 should have been written using native SDK and not HTML5, that's were lags come from. We probably can expect them to change this.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
hmm...idk what phone your using buddy..
for instance on my HTC 8x if I'm listening to music(Amazing music) and I'm on twitter(Rowi), and I have to go to the start screen for whatever reason, to go back to my music player or twitter page all i do is hold the back buttom and all 'windows' of app im using pop up, I just slide to Rowi and I'm right back sending a tweet, no reloading.

I used to do the same exact process in Android except a pop up of my app icons will appear instead...

I can send you screen caps if you'd like

You misread what I typed. Specifically the part where I state "it shouldn't matter where I launch the app". I shouldn't have to hold a silly button to go to an app I JUST LEFT(especially when the tile is right there in my face). That's counterintuitive. Makes no sense. None of the other OS's does this.

Open Basketball Live
Press start button
Open Basketball Live watch it reload

Makes no sense. Nobody can sit there and logically say that this is fine or perfectly normal. This shouldn't be left up to developers as someone already stated.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Well the BB guys came over and started taking potshots at WP8 the last couple of weeks. Hopefully they go back to their board now and cheer up the CB faithful that are upset over the BB10 launch.

Tiwo

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
[...]

@Tiwo "WP is a lot smoother :>" :) LOL, when you run only a single app on dual core processor and good GPU even Microsoft cannot screw it up. Still, I have to admit that browser on BB10 should have been written using native SDK and not HTML5, that's were lags come from. We probably can expect them to change this.

I'm really really sorry man, I didn't mean to bash or anything. Everybody is just a little bit on their nerves because probably everyone on this forum has something that they like about the new BB10. It's like having your own baby and defending it's beauty because it's yours. :)

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Why WP users always compare app launcher of BB 10 with home screen of Windows Phone? Don't you even know that WP also has app launcher if you swipe right? Now let's compare app launchers on all major OSs, shall we?

BB 10/iOS/Android - static icons in paged grid layout. Simple, easy to use and organize.
Windows Phone - static icons in one long vertical list. Any way of organize those icons, I have not found a way yet. Is it possible to find an app fast, **** no, all icons of same color (except those who was lazy enough and didn't provide icons for each color theme).

You're right that it is a vertical list. Here's the catch though. Search button, and even more importantly, after ~45 apps installed you get a JUMPLIST (see the single letters on their own?) which allows you to jump straight to an app. I don't have to remember which folder I put my app in (and I screw this up ALL the time on my iPod). I actually find it easier to find apps on my Nokia Lumia over my iPod.

You only potshot Windows Phone about this yet you do realise the iPhone also does the same? And in every post you've made I have only seen negativity from you. NOT ONE EVEN REMOTELY POSITIVE COMMENT ABOUT WINDOWS PHONE. Not everything you post about Windows Phone has to be positive (heck, I've made some seriously condescending remarks about Windows Phone myself) but when you post nothing but negativity at every comment, why are you here? Surely there must be something you're interested in about Windows Phone, else you wouldn't be here talking about it. And yes, I know this is the BlackBerry forum but I've seen you do it in the Windows Phone parts of the forum too.

bb10_fan

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
You're right that it is a vertical list. Here's the catch though. Search button, and even more importantly, after ~45 apps installed you get a JUMPLIST (see the single letters on their own?) which allows you to jump straight to an app. I don't have to remember which folder I put my app in (and I screw this up ALL the time on my iPod). I actually find it easier to find apps on my Nokia Lumia over my iPod.
You mean jump to the start of the list where app names start from a specific letter?

You only potshot Windows Phone about this yet you do realise the iPhone also does the same? And in every post you've made I have only seen negativity from you. NOT ONE EVEN REMOTELY POSITIVE COMMENT ABOUT WINDOWS PHONE. Not everything you post about Windows Phone has to be positive (heck, I've made some seriously condescending remarks about Windows Phone myself) but when you post nothing but negativity at every comment, why are you here? Surely there must be something you're interested in about Windows Phone, else you wouldn't be here talking about it. And yes, I know this is the BlackBerry forum but I've seen you do it in the Windows Phone parts of the forum too.

I'm sorry if I made you think that I'm 100% negative about WP. I'm just 95% negative about it, just because I own one and I have to use it until I can change it to something more usable from my perspective. I honestly hope that I'm entitled to my own opinion about OS as long as I don't make personal remarks to members of the forum.

iPhone does the same, so what? Did anyone ever complained that it's not fluid enough?

Not every post I've made is negative, only WP related. Actually, wait, I remember I did one positive remark about WP Live Tiles by saying they create a WOW effect at first. Of course leter I did again a negative remark about them by saying that from WOW effect with time they transform to WTF effect.

What interests me in WP? Hmm, that's an interesting question by itself. One possible explanation could be, I was a long time user of Nokia phones and currently own Nokia Lumia 800. I know it's not a WP8 device and I know that the core of the OS is completely different. When Nokia decided to switch completely to WP I was first angry, but lately simply curious how things are going on with them. I found Lumia 920 an interesting phone because of 1) Camera 2) Sensitive touchscreen. But, maybe somewhere deep inside I still try to convince myself that WP OS is not as horrible as I think about it (and experience with it) and so I can go back to nice Nokia hardware.

And sorry if you take all my negativity towards WP so personal :)

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
You mean jump to the start of the list where app names start from a specific letter?

Aye, I find that enough tbh.

I'm sorry if I made you think that I'm 100% negative about WP. I'm just 95% negative about it, just because I own one and I have to use it until I can change it to something more usable from my perspective. I honestly hope that I'm entitled to my own opinion about OS as long as I don't make personal remarks to members of the forum.

Aye, you would be right there. Just the constant negativity from someone can sometimes be draining.

iPhone does the same, so what? Did anyone ever complained that it's not fluid enough?

Guess I'm the first then. I have an iPod Touch and iOS isn't a very fluid experience on it.

Not every post I've made is negative, only WP related. Actually, wait, I remember I did one positive remark about WP Live Tiles by saying they create a WOW effect at first. Of course leter I did again a negative remark about them by saying that from WOW effect with time they transform to WTF effect.

Gotta admit, I like the live tiles myself. A notification centre wouldn't go amiss, but overall, I do like the look of the tiles. Each to their own though!

What interests me in WP? Hmm, that's an interesting question by itself. One possible explanation could be, I was a long time user of Nokia phones and currently own Nokia Lumia 800. I know it's not a WP8 device and I know that the core of the OS is completely different. When Nokia decided to switch completely to WP I was first angry, but lately simply curious how things are going on with them. I found Lumia 920 an interesting phone because of 1) Camera 2) Sensitive touchscreen. But, maybe somewhere deep inside I still try to convince myself that WP OS is not as horrible as I think about it (and experience with it) and so I can go back to nice Nokia hardware.

Ah, that's fun. I remember the days of the 3310. Yeah, I have to admit, I've always found Nokia phones to be stellar (5800 XpressMusic notwithstanding... now that was a turd and the reason I switched away from Nokia!) - I came from a HTC to a Nokia Lumia 920 though.

And sorry if you take all my negativity towards WP so personal :)

It's not so much taking it personal as feeling it is my job as an ambassador to promote a more positive atmosphere on the forums. Sure, it's never going to be perfect (tell me one thing that is!) but I want to be as much of a help as I can.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)