Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts
    When I first heard about it, all of the gestures, the innovative hardware, the time shift camera, the UX and the keyboard, I was completely intimidated. When they had their port-a-thon and supposedly got a ton of apps ported over, I was downright scared for Windows Phone. This could have knocked Windows Phone light years out of the cell phone race right? Right?
    Yesterday, I watched the presentation in full, wondering if it'd be worth porting some of my old android games on to. The gestures are overlookable, the camera is beat out by my 2006 winmo device, the apps make even windows phone's selection look huge in comparison,gaming is going to be absolutely laughable and the rendering on the browser is pretty awful. The UI looks like android vomited on meego and they pushed it out. With all of the capabilities of QNX, I really expected something astounding... I'm more than a little disappointed and I don't see any reason why anyone would make the switch from windows phone, or even android and iOS to blackberry. It's absolutely appalling.
    RushilPa and interopbyt like this.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    I was impressed with it. Not sure id switch from any Os to it quite yet though. But going by crackberry, the loyalist are liking it.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr

Global Posts
    8,063 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    But going by crackberry, the loyalist are liking it.
    Quite frankly, it doesn't matter what the fans on Crackberry think. What matters is getting back the swarms of users who weren't loyal and switched to iPhone, Android, or even on some occasions, WP. I'm not quite sure that they did enough to make that happen, though the positive media coverage is more than I was expecting.

Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts
    Crackberry and iMore have the biggest fanboys I've ever seen and I don't understand it. This phone looks like an OG Droid with a worse camera and an equally old UI. This would've been great in 06 or 07.

Global Posts
    2,202 Global Posts
    I'm actually scared going into crackberry. There is a fanaticism there that alarms me and it's amazing how they call anyone who uses iOS as iSheep and yet overlook how completely insane they are.
    HTC Droid Incredible(2 replacements) --> Nokia Lumia 900(Briefly)/Apple iPhone 4s --> Nokia Lumia 920(3 replacements) --> BlackBerry Z10(2 replacements) --> HTC One(3 replacements) --> Samsung Galaxy S4(Briefly) --> iPhone 5 --> iPhone 6+

I pretty much liked the "remember"-app. Had a few times on my 7 Pro (and other phones) where I wanted something like that...

The keyboard seems to be awesome as well. The only thing is: how well will it work for "normal" users and not for a guy who had enough time to try the same few words/sentences for the presentation...

The "Storymaker" and the work/private-settings impressed me too.... so there are a few things I really liked and I am sure these will be the "killer-features" if they really do work well... But all in all: I don't know how the whole multitasking argument will stand after a few weeks of usage... Can not imagine a "true" multitsasking with 8 apps running being battery-friendly...

All in all: I like the idea of BB being innovative and like the nice new features they introduced yesterday. iOS, Android and WP liked them as well (I am sure) and will try to do something alike...and that would be awesome for all of us! But I thought the presentation would show us more awesome stuff :(

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    What does Blackberry offer that no one else has? Is email still their big deal?

Bb10 will get big why the new will give free advertising just like the iPhone.

Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wpward291 View Post
    Bb10 will get big why the new will give free advertising just like the iPhone.
    ... What?

Global Posts
    602 Global Posts
    Let them bask in the short lived spotlight. Let them be happy that they finally get to jump from 2007 to 2010.

thcagk8hgf.jpg
    ~Sal
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,267 Global Posts
    BB10 was getting a lot of praise on CNN yesterday, but today they were saying the OS is about a year behind the competition. It looks ok to me.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
    JerseySal likes this.

Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts
    I think they're still a ways out from 2010... This looks like android's eclair.
    JerseySal likes this.

Global Posts
    32,280 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    I was especially disappointed by the camera. The Lumia 920's camera blew away the competition, but the BB10's camera was the worst of the bunch.
    Blackberry Z10's camera, smoked by a Windows Phone | Windows Phone Central

I watched a review video of the Z10 and I thought the phone and the OS looked terrible, and there's no freakin start screen. The whole OS seems jumbled and incohesive it looks like the results of a smartphone OS train crash.
    Thanked by:

Maybe if you guys understand a little dutch, check out this report: BlackBerry Z10 - Video's - Tweakers

At around 4:10 he's starting to talk(you can see it, for the non-dutch ppl :P) about lag on the phone, whilst during the presentation it was all about 'the flow of BB'. Now that is what I call disappointing.

Also, the icons look horrible from the app drawer, tbh.
    Thanked by:
    bawboh86, RushilPa and jlzimmerman like this.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    They don't need to win back anyone who left their platform. They could retain their loyal base and then pick up new smartphone users. To say it doesn't matter what fans say is a ridiculous statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Quite frankly, it doesn't matter what the fans on Crackberry think. What matters is getting back the swarms of users who weren't loyal and switched to iPhone, Android, or even on some occasions, WP. I'm not quite sure that they did enough to make that happen, though the positive media coverage is more than I was expecting.

Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts
    They don't need to win back anyone who left their platform. They could retain their loyal base and then pick up new smartphone users. To say it doesn't matter what fans say is a ridiculous statement.
    However, when you see 3 complete OSes, two of which offer a cheaper alternative with more power, why would you pick the most incomplete and expensive one?
    Developer

Global Posts
    4,353 Global Posts
    I'm not feeling any love for how the BB10 phones look and the OS looks dated already.
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8)
    Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)

Global Posts
    1,742 Global Posts
    I think the OS has bigtime promise. (Except the old Android Gingerbread runtime it uses.) However it looks like the hardware of the Z10 is going to be it's initial weakness. Looks like the camera is bad and the battery life is horrible. Plus it won't be here in the United States until March when we will probably hear about the Galaxy 4 and newer Lumia devices.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    What's the 3 complete OSs? Android, iOS and? WP is far from complete. I don't even think Android and iOS are complete.

People will choose it because they are BB enthusiast. People will choose ot because they want something different. Many people are choosing WP because it's different from the usual android and IOS phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    However, when you see 3 complete OSes, two of which offer a cheaper alternative with more power, why would you pick the most incomplete and expensive one?
    fatclue_98 and LeLee092 like this.

Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts
    What's the 3 complete OSs? Android, iOS and? WP is far from complete. I don't even think Android and iOS are complete.

People will choose it because they are BB enthusiast. People will choose ot because they want something different. Many people are choosing WP because it's different from the usual android and IOS phones.
    BB10 looks just like android, it's not something different. WP is pretty much the only something different.
    Thanked by:
    sejgiul and jlzimmerman like this.

Global Posts
    8,063 Global Posts
    Of course they do. Their loyal base has dwindled. They've got under 1% of the market share. Retaining what's left of their loyal base just doesn't keep them afloat. And BB10 still focuses on the enterprise. Do you really think anyone in that market isn't already a former user of older Blackberry devices? Once someone gives up on a brand, it's often extremely difficult to win them back, and from what I've seen, they just haven't done enough to do that. What new users are they going to attract? Teens who want to BBM like they used to have? No, because those kids already have iPhones and iMessage. Dumbphone users? Doubtful, because the gestures give it an extremely large learning curve.

The people still left at Crackberry at this point are all going to be getting the new Blackberry regardless of how good it is, so yes, it's great that they're excited. But in the grand scheme of things, they're a drop in the bucket.
    Laura Knotek and Gergolos like this.

I think the BB faithful over hyped BB10 and it failed to deliver anything extraordinary. I'm mostly seeing a lot of average or meh reviews with the main point being that it's too little too late to save the company. The Z10 also doesn't look too appealing.

If the stock price keeps diving I can imagine RIM getting bought out by Lenovo or some other company.

What absolutely baffles me are the icons they used, after all this time they could hired a good graphics firm to create some really cool, unique icons. But instead they just grabbed them off the web. Look at the calendar icon, seriously, that's been around for years. They had a chance to really make it shine with some simple touches like the icons and they failed badly. It looks like an old Android phone. A lot of the hardcore BB users will buy it, but I can't see many switching from other platforms. I have also read a lot of comments from long time BB users saying they are not buying it because they have removed the features that they rely on.
    jwinch2 likes this.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    MS didn't retain their Windows Mobile core not did they get them back.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Of course they do. Their loyal base has dwindled. They've got under 1% of the market share. Retaining what's left of their loyal base just doesn't keep them afloat. And BB10 still focuses on the enterprise. Do you really think anyone in that market isn't already a former user of older Blackberry devices? Once someone gives up on a brand, it's often extremely difficult to win them back, and from what I've seen, they just haven't done enough to do that. What new users are they going to attract? Teens who want to BBM like they used to have? No, because those kids already have iPhones and iMessage. Dumbphone users? Doubtful, because the gestures give it an extremely large learning curve.

The people still left at Crackberry at this point are all going to be getting the new Blackberry regardless of how good it is, so yes, it's great that they're excited. But in the grand scheme of things, they're a drop in the bucket.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast