Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    Hear that? That's BB kicking MS in the teeth out back. Come on MS, I know YOU don't think these silly apps are important, but your customers do. With PC market dying you think mobile would be their focus right now. Don't care about instagram, but there are a hundred other things I want. Will MS ever deliver? I'm starting to loose faith.

Have to give BB credit. They did get it right with their whole port from android setup. It's more options, something WP8 is missing badly.

Global Posts
    2,250 Global Posts
    As far as I understand, most of the apps are bad ports. Also, none of the major apps have released anything. Including instagram.
    HTC Droid Incredible(2 replacements) --> Nokia Lumia 900(Briefly)/Apple iPhone 4s --> Nokia Lumia 920(3 replacements) --> BlackBerry Z10(2 replacements) --> HTC One(3 replacements) --> Samsung Galaxy S4(Briefly) --> iPhone 5 --> iPhone 6+

Wtfffff -_-

Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    Hear that? That's BB kicking MS in the teeth out back. Come on MS, I know YOU don't think these silly apps are important, but your customers do. With PC market dying you think mobile would be their focus right now. Don't care about instagram, but there are a hundred other things I want. Will MS ever deliver? I'm starting to loose faith.

Have to give BB credit. They did get it right with their whole port from android setup. It's more options, something WP8 is missing badly.
    Ported apps are the last thing I want, especially from Android. BB doesn't even have some of the basic apps like imdb.
    snowmutt likes this.

Global Posts
    2,906 Global Posts
    What exactly is the difference between a ported app and the "real app".

Won't it function the same?

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    I don't have Twitter, but this is something that definitely needs to be tweeted to Joe Belfiore, Ben The PC Guy, Ballmer, and everybody else at Microsoft.

Although I would not use Instagram, many users are currently; and many would, if brought to the WP platform. It is simply ridiculous that Microsoft cannot leverage their relationship with Facebook to bring this app to WP users. It's baffling.

Global Posts
    1,091 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhooghe View Post
    As far as I understand, most of the apps are bad ports. Also, none of the major apps have released anything. Including instagram.
    Way to try and deflect,lol.

Ask yourself why Blackberry10 rocks so much , instead of lame "I understand" comments.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    What exactly is the difference between a ported app and the "real app".

Won't it function the same?
    Ported apps are stop gaps. They are written for Android, but BB10 will operate them with limited success. On Playbook they crash a lot, don't really have full function and in general, look pretty pathetic. But, sometimes its the only way to get app because dev won't write for BB. And porting isn't as easy as point and click. Well, Some of the apps are actually in BB appworld and work pretty good with no trouble. But some you can do manually and its a process and not always successful.
    snowmutt and Bobert_123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TomJasper View Post
    Way to try and deflect,lol.

Ask yourself why Blackberry10 rocks so much , instead of lame "I understand" comments.
    Maybe you should ask yourself the same. BB10 does not "rock." Its decent but nothing special.

Global Posts
    1,091 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Residing View Post
    I don't have Twitter, but this is something that definitely needs to be tweeted to Joe Belfiore, Ben The PC Guy, Ballmer, and everybody else at Microsoft.

Although I would not use Instagram, many users are currently; and many would, if brought to the WP platform. It is simply ridiculous that Microsoft cannot leverage their relationship with Facebook to bring this app to WP users. It's baffling.
    I suspect you would be wasting your time with that tweet.

I just don't see the effort from MS in regards to wooing dev's, I mean seriously have a look at what Blackberry has done and is doing, it's like night and day compared to MS efforts.

Global Posts
    1,091 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spaulagain View Post
    Maybe you should ask yourself the same. BB10 does not "rock." Its decent but nothing special.
    Oh trust me , Blackberry 10 rocks, more so when the major apps keep coming baby, woot woot!!

Global Posts
    1,091 Global Posts
    Ported apps are stop gaps. They are written for Android, but BB10 will operate them with limited success. On Playbook they crash a lot, don't really have full function and in general, look pretty pathetic. But, sometimes its the only way to get app because dev won't write for BB. And porting isn't as easy as point and click. Well, Some of the apps are actually in BB appworld and work pretty good with no trouble. But some you can do manually and its a process and not always successful.
    Are you serious,lol. So many untruths in your post it's not worthy of a reply.

Global Posts
    1,091 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhooghe View Post
    Photo by crackberrykevin • Instagram

Enjoy your day folks. :)

Super Bowl almost here

if they get instagram before WP, we officially suck. I'm sorry

Global Posts
    2,636 Global Posts
    I had a PlayBook and ported some Android bars that I needed and they all worked fine. However, one of your statements is not entirely accurate. Android apps generally have missing functions (fragmentation rearing its ugly head) and they ALL look pathetic. I give credit where credit is due, and in this regard I have to tip my hat to iOS devs. They make their apps "look" good. For example, either the eBay app or the Pageonce app look so much better than their Android counterpart it's not even debatable. I've always been the type to give it my all even if I'm not in the mood for it. It seems Android devs do just enough to make their apps "work" while iOS devs make their apps work AND give them some eye candy. Form follows function is a very misunderstood concept. As Billy Crystal's "Fernando" used to say "it's better to look good than to feel good".
    cckgz4 likes this.

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Hi, pretty new here on WP forum; from CB. I highly doubt the Instagram app in ported Android because any Android app that uses native code does not work on BB's Android runtime. Hence sideloaded Instagram does not work on the PlayBook.

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Instagram isn't an android port it's missing back arrow in left hand corner. likely taking use of built in gestures to go back

Global Posts
    2,250 Global Posts
    Going to tweet this to the Windows Phone team to rub it in.

Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwe Feanorfin View Post
    Hi, pretty new here on WP forum; from CB. I highly doubt the Instagram app in ported Android because any Android app that uses native code does not work on BB's Android runtime. Hence sideloaded Instagram does not work on the PlayBook.
    If it doesn't work on the Playbook, that doesn't mean it won't work on BB10. I am most certain this is sideloaded app. Still, that is great.

Global Posts
    1,109 Global Posts
    Having Instagram coming to BB10 is a great boost to their platform, as for many it is a "must have" app. MS needs to work on bringing it to Windows 8.
    Maybe many of you didn't follow the progression of bb10 before today, but this should be cleared...

% The BB10 instigram is not a BB specific/ built, its just the Android version working on a blackberry, the android apps was one of the features of the new OS for blackberry, they only need to take the free app from google play, do some modifications to the format and it will be working on BB.
    So its not that bb10 is taking more apps than WP8 .. They are using the same large android app base.

Quote Originally Posted by odoggyfresh View Post
    if they get instagram before WP, we officially suck. I'm sorry
    lol at instagram love. lol

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitter@Firas_MD View Post
    Maybe many of you didn't follow the progression of bb10 before today, but this should be cleared...

% The BB10 instigram is not a BB specific/ built, its just the Android version working on a blackberry, the android apps was one of the features of the new OS for blackberry, they only need to take the free app from google play, do some modifications to the format and it will be working on BB.
    So its not that bb10 is taking more apps than WP8 .. They are using the same large android app base.
    It is not an android port lol, its already been compared with the android version, and apps written with the an android NDK won't work on BB10
    Built in video editor and 10 GB Box storage free : Amazing how a new OS can come out with features, but 2.5 years old OS can't even get "edit email before forwarding" or a proper pdf reader. Forget instagram, that is like asking for a moon.
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast