Blackberry now has Nova 3

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Definitely better than the WP8 store when it first started up. Also, when they update to the jellybean runtime, even more apps will be available. This is not to say that I don't like Windows Phone, I just hate Microsoft for the way they've been handling things.

samab

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Definitely better than the WP8 store when it first started up. Also, when they update to the jellybean runtime, even more apps will be available. This is not to say that I don't like Windows Phone, I just hate Microsoft for the way they've been handling things.

Jellybean won't increase the numbers of apps being available because the limiting factor still exists --- which is if you have even a single line of native c/c++ codes in your android app, it will never run on the BB10. It doesn't matter whether BB10 has Android 15 runtime in 5 years time.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Jellybean won't increase the numbers of apps being available because the limiting factor still exists --- which is if you have even a single line of native c/c++ codes in your android app, it will never run on the BB10. It doesn't matter whether BB10 has Android 15 runtime in 5 years time.

BB10 supports C++

Just saw BlackBerry post on twitter say that Skype, eBay, Viber, Plants vs Zombies, and Cut the Rope will be coming in the coming weeks

samab

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
BB10 supports C++

Just saw BlackBerry post on twitter say that Skype, eBay, Viber, Plants vs Zombies, and Cut the Rope will be coming in the coming weeks

BB10 does NOT support Android/NDK --- and that is NEVER going to change. If your Android app has even a single line of c/c++ code, then it will not function in BB10's android runtime.

Plants vs Zombies and Cut the Rope have been available on the Playbook for a long time, so that's not a surprise --- and these have been ported from the iOS version to native BB10/Playbook.

If you see an app that requires a lot of CPU power (like a massive 3D game), then that BB10 app is a native BB10 app ported from iOS versions. Just look at the Galaxy on Fire 2 example that I cited above. Angry Birds on BB10, ported from iOS version.

Nobody creates an app just for the Android platform --- they don't get paid enough money. So they already have an iOS version of their app. And if there is even a single line of c/c++ code in their app, then it is much easier to port their iOS version to BB10 than to try to port their Android version to BB10.

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

LOL...

How have they been "handling things"...

I think they are doing a pretty awesome job...WP8 and W8 now have Unity, Marmalade and Havok middleware...the best games will come now much quicker to WP8 and Windows 8 at the same time...that means picking up on a game when you have paused it on one of the platforms...

I like BB but the Z10 is nothing to write home about and brings very little to the table, at least for me.

If it works for you, that is great. However, I think they are finished and have took a very bad decision to market a "high end" phone to a market that is saturated (North America and Europe) as opposed to also releasing cheaper devices for markets that will buy their product in mass quanity...

Nokia/MS have a much better battle plan...

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
BB10 does NOT support Android/NDK --- and that is NEVER going to change. If your Android app has even a single line of c/c++ code, then it will not function in BB10's android runtime.

Plants vs Zombies and Cut the Rope have been available on the Playbook for a long time, so that's not a surprise --- and these have been ported from the iOS version to native BB10/Playbook.

If you see an app that requires a lot of CPU power (like a massive 3D game), then that BB10 app is a native BB10 app ported from iOS versions. Just look at the Galaxy on Fire 2 example that I cited above. Angry Birds on BB10, ported from iOS version.

Nobody creates an app just for the Android platform --- they don't get paid enough money. So they already have an iOS version of their app. And if there is even a single line of c/c++ code in their app, then it is much easier to port their iOS version to BB10 than to try to port their Android version to BB10.

Ok, dude, whatever you say.

LOL...

How have they been "handling things"...

I think they are doing a pretty awesome job...WP8 and W8 now have Unity, Marmalade and Havok middleware...the best games will come now much quicker to WP8 and Windows 8 at the same time...that means picking up on a game when you have paused it on one of the platforms...

I like BB but the Z10 is nothing to write home about and brings very little to the table, at least for me.

If it works for you, that is great. However, I think they are finished and have took a very bad decision to market a "high end" phone to a market that is saturated (North America and Europe) as opposed to also releasing cheaper devices for markets that will buy their product in mass quanity...

Nokia/MS have a much better battle plan...

I've been with the WP8 platform since day one and I got sick of Microsoft sitting on their hands. Portico was a dissappointment, did nothing for the base user experience. Are you able to email a pdf file? Edit a pdf file? Have different SMS tones? Did they fix the "Other" issue? No. While the improvements they did do were welcome, why not anything else? Nokia had to step in and make an app to do that. It is ridiculous. I recently upgraded my 920 firmware to the newest one. Same soft photos. I'm tired of waiting for Microsoft to be competent.

As for Unity, Marmalade and Havok, taking a lesson out of BlackBerry's book, huh?

So since the market is saturated, this means that Microsoft should just pack up shop then. Or is Microsoft somehow special in your eyes? Apply your logic to Microsoft.

As for your last statement of shipping cheaper devices. You just got done telling me the whole schpeal about over saturation. Which is it? You're being contradictory.

You mean Nokia. Nokia is the one pushing things, Microsoft is sitting on their hands. Does Microsoft tell Nokia which handsets to introduce? Why isn't HTC in on this too if it is a Microsoft thing?

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Nova isn't all that great anyway, just beat it on my nexus 7. Would rather have modern combat or something, although I beat that to. Need to come out with some new games.

diegonei

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
How do you like the Z10? What apps are missing from the BB store?

The Z10 is one great device. I'd say on pair with the 920 'cept for one feature: the camera.

Apps... Hmmm... Kobo (coming), Zinio, Instagram (said to be coming), NetFlix (said to be coming), Skype (coming). A good comic book reader (we have one in te PB, dunno why the dev didn't release it for BB10 yet).

Most of the apps are there (either officially, ported or cloned). Personally, no platform has any true project management apps so, none cover my needs anyway. :D

The software is quite stable on the Z10, and the many hookups with online services are a nice touch. People were bashing Maps but it works very well if you ask me... It's a very new platform, 3D maps and stuff like that will come eventually. Same for pretty much everything else.

Gurggles

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I would settle for Jetpack joyride. FPS on a touchscreens are fun, but I have never found the last value. That being said when it is released I will buy it as long as it is not over $10. Jetpack on the other hand....I have paid a sickly $20 to halfbrick on a free game (iPad). I just get more play out of it in the long term.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss