Blackberry Z10

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried the new BlackBerry Z10? I went to an AT&T store the other day and having played with the device at the initial launch not much has changed. I find the OS very nice but not as easy as my 822 is. The lack of apps is a big disappointment for me and they lack most major ones. I like the idea of the hub but I would also like to access the full a count like email and text etc. You can still access each account but it takes a few steps to access them. As far as the camera and browser go the Z10 blows the 822 away!
Being a former BlackBerry user I was tempted but very disappointed in what I saw
Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

hoosiers7120

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Blackberrys sale and stock seems to be going down even after the introduction of Z10. I guess people have just moved on iOS, Android or Windows OS. It's a nice UI and something different but blackberry was too late to bring into a saturated market and are suffering now.

One of the best features I like is the Social Hub, I am hoping Windows phone 8 becomes like that in the next major update. As far as the camera goes I don't know how wit compares to the 822 but I compared it with my 920 and it wasn't even close.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Blackberrys sale and stock seems to be going down even after the introduction of Z10. I guess people have just moved on iOS, Android or Windows OS. It's a nice UI and something different but blackberry was too late to bring into a saturated market and are suffering now.

One of the best features I like is the Social Hub, I am hoping Windows phone 8 becomes like that in the next major update. As far as the camera goes I don't know how wit compares to the 822 but I compared it with my 920 and it wasn't even close.

Your 920's camera is far superior to the Z10 and my 823.

Olivion17

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Windows phone 8 is better. And considering that Z10 is blackberry's flagship phone you shouldn't compare it to your 822. Compare to my Lumia 920 and you see which is better. The Lumia 920 puts the newer z10 to shame in terms of camera, wireless charging, stability, speed, super sensitive touch, and build quality.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Windows phone 8 is better. And considering that Z10 is blackberry's flagship phone you shouldn't compare it to your 822. Compare to my Lumia 920 and you see which is better. The Lumia 920 puts the newer z10 to shame in terms of camera, wireless charging, stability, speed, super sensitive touch, and build quality.

I agree very disappointed with the new Z10 at least we had the basic apps at launch!

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just played with one today. The build quality seems good. The screen sucks compared to my 920, as does the camera, and the interface didn't make a whole lot of sense to me (though I realize it has a bit of a learning curve). It still kind of feels like an Android phone with a custom launcher more than something entirely different like WP8. My wife (longtime BB user and recent 920 convert) walked away thinking "meh". I think if it came out four years ago, it would have rocked, but now it's kind of sad. We'll see how it plays out.

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I touch them all the time, it just feels like iOS and Android's unwanted step child.

Like many others have posted above me and I agree that navigation takes a bit of a learning curve, confusing at times as well if you're not using it everyday. I've always found that BB OS the most confusing out of all the OS I've touched / played with.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised you're all bashing the Z10 like the 920 and the 8X were all bashed. You all say to use the phone before you try it. To give it an honest chance to get used to it yet you're doing the same exact thing that iPhone and Android users did to you.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised you're all bashing the Z10 like the 920 and the 8X were all bashed. You all say to use the phone before you try it. To give it an honest chance to get used to it yet you're doing the same exact thing that iPhone and Android users did to you.

I still bash the 8X ;)

I keed, I keed... no, I'm not saying it's a bad phone - in fact, if it's anything like other BBs, it probably has lots of features and settings that we're still missing, like Mark All as Read and independent volume controls and a notification center. It's probably a better phone if you're using it for strictly business. The handset itself feels good and high quality, but holding the 920 up to it, you can really see a difference in the screen, and obviously the camera in the 920 kills the BB. I'm sure I'd get used to the gestures, and it might even be more efficient than WP, but I didn't fall in love with the interface the way I did with the 920. It didn't seem materially different than Android, just kind of like a custom launcher for it or something. The 920 is the first phone that I've had that I really enjoy using, rather than just have it be a means to an end to get content.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I have it and it's a nice device.

I was at least able to sideload apps like Instagram, Google Navigation (yes the nav, not just maps), and a few others. I will as soon as I can.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I have it. It's a very nice device, with an even nicer OS. The lack of apps is a problem, but the same is true of my other favorite OS. The ability to sideload Android apps alleviates this limitation somewhat for the more technically-minded user. The new BB OS has a nicer workflow to it than WP, and multitasking is more convenient to use than in iOS, WP, or Android - with these other OS's the task screen seems like a bit of an afterthought, bolted on to some button as a long press that then takes you out of your workflow. With the new BB OS it feels much more integrated into the workflow of the device, there's a nice priority ordering from Hub (notifications) -> Running apps -> Misc other apps. It would be nice to be able to control the order of the panes on the running tasks screen though.

resonat1

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't agree fully with some of your comments about the Z10. Its still needs more improvement. The touch screen is not prefect and the keyboard is a joke compare to the keyboard on the Q10. The Q10 keyboard "feels" reassuring and the click is just about perfect. The lack of real live tech support bugs me to no end. Why does everyone think you can solve everything with a email or post to a forum?

9520G

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think z10 is a mix of WP and webOS combined. I wouldnt mind trying the z10 out but the lacks of apps is bad and I already went down that road with webOS.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I agree that the z10 is a really good os and the hardware is solid. The problem is it is just new. If it doesn't sell 50 billion hand sets and every app isn't available at launch, which was 3 months ago, it is a failure. I hear the same crap about WP and I'll put my 920 up against any phone. Android suck s*** for couple of years before it caught some traction. The iPhone was a joke when it came out. I remember "analysts" saying that apple was to late in the cell phone market and they need to stick to computers. If blackberry's main goal is to thrive as a cell phone company then that is what they will do. If they want to sell of the company for a quick profit then that is what they will do. Personally I think taking it private is a big step to getting back solid. All in all they have a good product just keep plugging.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I own a Z10 and I absolutely love it. A lot has changed from BBOS (especially since that the OS is rebuilt from a completely different core). The Hub is great and I like that everything is integrated. But to get to the individual accounts all you have to do is swipe right and select the one you want. The gestures are great and just make sense. Multitasking is supurb and the browser in unbeatable. The only downsides are the app situation (you can sideload Android apps but it isn't entirely convenient) and the camera. While the camera is solid, it isn't great. But the built in editing is very good and I would say makes up for it. I would definitely like to give WP a go in the future, but right now, I love my Z10!

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree that the z10 is a really good os and the hardware is solid. The problem is it is just new. If it doesn't sell 50 billion hand sets and every app isn't available at launch, which was 3 months ago, it is a failure. I hear the same crap about WP and I'll put my 920 up against any phone. Android suck s*** for couple of years before it caught some traction. The iPhone was a joke when it came out. I remember "analysts" saying that apple was to late in the cell phone market and they need to stick to computers. If blackberry's main goal is to thrive as a cell phone company then that is what they will do. If they want to sell of the company for a quick profit then that is what they will do. Personally I think taking it private is a big step to getting back solid. All in all they have a good product just keep plugging.

Good job at putting it in perspective! Both BlackBerry and Microsoft are the underdogs in the mobile market. BB10 is a brand new OS and yes, comparatively, the sales aren't very good but the company is making a profit. BB10 just needs time. For a new OS, it is excellent, but it can go so much further.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Very true! You need to have an open unhypocritical mind when it comes to these things.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Ya I played around with Z10 and the gesture control are very intuitive. If I didn't have a 920 I would have a z10 or a q10, there is something about a physical key board. WP and blackberry are both newer os. They are innovating and maturing. I think the will both do well. Change is slow, especially with the two goliaths like apple and android. But I think apple will have problems selling an aging os( maybe not, the can add a super antenna and sell it as brand new😃) and the perception that bb is old and WP suck will slowly change. I will buy a z10 whether I need one or not, cool phone.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05