Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
Like Tree20Likes
  1. WPmunkey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    299 Posts
       #1  
    BlackBerry backtracks, won’t release BB10 PlayBook update after all | Ars Technica

    No BB10 for the Playbook, poor sales of BB10 devices (Z10 and Q10) and a loss of $84 mill for the quarter. Maybe BB should go Android, or even better, WP....
  2. JerseySal's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    604 Posts
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    #2  
    What a shame. I used to love BB
    ~Sal
    Thanked by:
    qyk1010101 likes this.
  3. #3  
    I loved BlackBerry too and used BlackBerry prior to Windows Phone.

    I'd like to see the company survive. I believe there is room in the smartphone market for Windows Phone, Android, iOS, and BlackBerry.
    Thanked by:
  4. 12Danny123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,715 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,280 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Knotek View Post
    I loved BlackBerry too and used BlackBerry prior to Windows Phone.

    I'd like to see the company survive. I believe there is room in the smartphone market for Windows Phone, Android, iOS, and BlackBerry.
    I understand what you mean. But BB needs to partner with the tech giants to help them. I believe Nokia partnering with MS has paid of greatly.
    a5cent likes this.
  5. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Knotek View Post
    I loved BlackBerry too and used BlackBerry prior to Windows Phone.

    I'd like to see the company survive. I believe there is room in the smartphone market for Windows Phone, Android, iOS, and BlackBerry.
    I believe, just like the PC market, there is really only room for 2, even if there appears to be 3. There are 2 dominating and a 3rd with a miniscule market share.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaap View Post
    I believe, just like the PC market, there is really only room for 2, even if there appears to be 3. There are 2 dominating and a 3rd with a miniscule market share.
    Why? Other forms of technology have multiple competitors. You think there are only two competitors in the PC market? Where are you getting that?
    White Nokia Lumia Icon on Developer Preview Windows Phone 8.1 - Surface 2 64gb - Dell XPS 8500 running Windows 10 Technical Preview - Xbox One

  7. Chris_Kez's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    650 Posts
    Global Posts
    652 Global Posts
    #7  
    I'd like to think the industry could support all four but it seems to be getting harder and harder. BB lacks a broader ecosystem play. I'm sure they could technically survive on phones alone, but that's tough now. Wall St. wants growth or the promise of growth, they wouldn't be satisfied with a stable 5-10% share. And the tech press, blogosphere and fans are always looking to make instant pronouncements about winners and losers. If you're slow to pick up the pace then all the naysayers jump on it gleefully.
    ninjaap, snowmutt and a5cent like this.
  8. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rohanj View Post
    Why? Other forms of technology have multiple competitors. You think there are only two competitors in the PC market? Where are you getting that?
    I didn't say there are only 2 competitors, I said there are only 2 dominating at one time.
  9. Chris_Kez's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    650 Posts
    Global Posts
    652 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rohanj View Post
    Why? Other forms of technology have multiple competitors. You think there are only two competitors in the PC market? Where are you getting that?
    I assume he means Windows and Apple, though I'd argue that Google will become a presence with chromebooks.

    Anyway, it might make more sense to step back and just think about the whole space as "computing"- phones, tablets, laptops, desktops. You're now talking about a more evenly divided three way game between Apple, Google and Microsoft in terms of operating systems or platforms. And it will be tough for anyone to compete with a fourth platform, let alone a phone-only OS.
  10. WPmunkey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    299 Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Kez View Post
    I assume he means Windows and Apple, though I'd argue that Google will become a presence with chromebooks.

    Anyway, it might make more sense to step back and just think about the whole space as "computing"- phones, tablets, laptops, desktops. You're now talking about a more evenly divided three way game between Apple, Google and Microsoft in terms of operating systems or platforms. And it will be tough for anyone to compete with a fourth platform, let alone a phone-only OS.
    I thought he was referring to Dell, Gateway, Acer, HP, etc. But, just like in Android, at first it seems that there is room for many (HTC, Sammy, Moto) but as the market moves on it seem to favor one dominant company.
    Thanked by:
    Jazmac likes this.
  11. squire777's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,248 Posts
    #11  
    Blackberry has no idea what it is doing. They overpriced their handsets to give them a premium feel which isn't exactly the smartest thing to do when you want new customers.

    Blackberry and many of its loyal fans also think that the Q10 and Q5 will save the company but the reality is that outside of Blackberry fans not many people want a qwerty phone with a tiny screen anymore.

    I'm sure today's news will scare off a lot of potential developers which will probably cause even more problems down the road.
    CHIP72 and qyk1010101 like this.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by squire777 View Post
    Blackberry has no idea what it is doing. They overpriced their handsets to give them a premium feel which isn't exactly the smartest thing to do when you want new customers.

    Blackberry and many of its loyal fans also think that the Q10 and Q5 will save the company but the reality is that outside of Blackberry fans not many people want a qwerty phone with a tiny screen anymore.

    I'm sure today's news will scare off a lot of potential developers which will probably cause even more problems down the road.
    I agree. Things are not looking up for the BB community. That being said, we should probably be looking to court BB folk over here to the WP8 side instead of "I TOLD YOU SO!"

    Now if only we could get BBM...
    White Nokia Lumia Icon on Developer Preview Windows Phone 8.1 - Surface 2 64gb - Dell XPS 8500 running Windows 10 Technical Preview - Xbox One

    Thanked by:
  13. spaulagain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,214 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rohanj View Post
    Why? Other forms of technology have multiple competitors. You think there are only two competitors in the PC market? Where are you getting that?
    But operating systems require support from developers for apps. It becomes increasingly difficult for developers with the more platforms they need to build apps for and continue support.

    Desktop, phone, and gaming systems all seem to max out at 3, maybe 4 platforms to support. Beyond that and developers can't manage all of them, especially small time indie developers.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by spaulagain View Post
    But operating systems require support from developers for apps. It becomes increasingly difficult for developers with the more platforms they need to build apps for and continue support.

    Desktop, phone, and gaming systems all seem to max out at 3, maybe 4 platforms to support. Beyond that and developers can't manage all of them, especially small time indie developers.
    Yeah, I agree. He said PC market so I thought he meant the PC market. As in OEM's: Dell, HP, Lenovo, Sony, Etc. As far as OS's go, I agree.
    White Nokia Lumia Icon on Developer Preview Windows Phone 8.1 - Surface 2 64gb - Dell XPS 8500 running Windows 10 Technical Preview - Xbox One

    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  15. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rohanj View Post
    Yeah, I agree. He said PC market so I thought he meant the PC market. As in OEM's: Dell, HP, Lenovo, Sony, Etc. As far as OS's go, I agree.
    Sorry for the confusion. That was my fault.
  16. stmav's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,685 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    #16  
    Yep, the natives are very restless over in the CrackBerry forum today.
  17. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    710 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #17  
    The reason BB10 isn't so hot right now is because some bonehead over there thought it would be a good idea to price something like a Z10 and Q10 in the same category as a HTC One, Galaxy S4 or Note 2. People aren't stupid. There's nothing in the Z10 that would make an unbiased customer want to go for it over a HTC One. Nothing on that phone stands out. Camera is terrible, design is boring as heck, runs a new OS. Doesn't have any feature that truly stands out and says BUY ME FOR THIS!
    If I can get a developer edition HTC One 64GB for just $650, then a Z10 should be selling for $450 tops.
  18. raccoon210's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    246 Posts
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    #18  
    As a playbook owner it drives me crazy that they promised us that they would update the PB's to BB10 and they're now backtracking and then much much later. Thats all I've been looking forward to cuz my playbook is so sluggish and slow. I know some people on crackberry that bought many playbooks at firesale rates to sell when BB10 was released. I bet they're real pissed now! I mean yeah I own a 900 that Won't get wp8 but at least the CEO of MS never said it would be updated then didn't.
    snowmutt and Laura Knotek like this.
  19. hoovermac's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    #19  
    I know where you are coming from with the PlayBook. I loved my PlayBook but it died about a month ago (charging circuit??). Luckily, I had an extended warranty and the store where I bought it gave me a credit for the full purchase price (I was an early PlayBook purchaser). I was going to get another PlayBook, but couldn't find one; thought long and hard about a top of the line Galaxy Tab, but was intrigued by the Surface Pro. I used the credit to get a Surface Pro, installed Office Home on it from my subscription, doubled the disk space with a 64 GB micro SD card, and itís basically a laptop replacement and a tablet rolled into one! Seems that the PlayBook died at just the right time!
    Last edited by hoovermac; 07-16-2013 at 12:03 PM.
    snowmutt likes this.
  20. jefftam68's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    #20  
    We are a BlackBerry family - well until recently. My daughter has owned a Curve (which is admittedly a fine texting/BBMing too but not much else) and she said one day she wants a new phone and doesn't want a BB, not even a new BB10. She's tired of the brand. Fair enough, so I tried to sell her on WP8. She just kind of looked at it with glazed eyes and said, "That's nice, but I want an Android." I said, "But blah blah blah" - (think Charlie Brown's teacher talking here). I tried guys. She gave up on BB, and she just didn't want WP. Android it is. Its a sad day... :-(
  21. CHIP72's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    247 Posts
    Global Posts
    997 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    The reason BB10 isn't so hot right now is because some bonehead over there thought it would be a good idea to price something like a Z10 and Q10 in the same category as a HTC One, Galaxy S4 or Note 2. People aren't stupid. There's nothing in the Z10 that would make an unbiased customer want to go for it over a HTC One. Nothing on that phone stands out. Camera is terrible, design is boring as heck, runs a new OS. Doesn't have any feature that truly stands out and says BUY ME FOR THIS!
    If I can get a developer edition HTC One 64GB for just $650, then a Z10 should be selling for $450 tops.
    Ironically, $450 is about the top end of the going rate for a Blackberry Z10 on eBay right now. You can buy a NIB Z10 in the high $300s.


    Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
  22. Angry_Mushroom's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    279 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #22  
    Looks like the name change from RIM to BB did not help. Can't say I'm too surprised. They only released flagships at at time when the flagship market looks saturated. Growing market looks like lower end devices. A market which Android dominates, WP is growing, and Apple is eyeing. Can a lower end BB even compete against the likes of a 520/620? Let's not forget that sales head start aside... once Apple drops their lower cost phone they can cash their brand name chips in for sales. We'll see how that turns out.

    In the very end. I can see MS keeping their 3rd place world wide, and soon taking 3rd in the US.
    Thanked by:
  23. Jazmac's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,114 Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Kez View Post
    I assume he means Windows and Apple, though I'd argue that Google will become a presence with chromebooks.

    Anyway, it might make more sense to step back and just think about the whole space as "computing"- phones, tablets, laptops, desktops. You're now talking about a more evenly divided three way game between Apple, Google and Microsoft in terms of operating systems or platforms. And it will be tough for anyone to compete with a fourth platform, let alone a phone-only OS.
    I don't see googles "presence" with that browser machine anymore than Linux has on the desktop for years. It would take a major paradigm shift unlike anything we've ever seen before to make a browser that kind of dominant. It'll be around only long enough to be replaced by something built by established vendors running an established operating system, neither of which is going anywhere anytime soon. IMHO.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  24. WanderingTraveler's Avatar

    Posts
    4,802 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,812 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #24  
    "BB not so hot right now..."

    Tell that to the carriers who put up billboards adevertising the Z10. Everywhere.
    Reviver of Forum Games! I'm TheWPCTraveler over on Nintendo Life, as well. You'll also find me over at gamrConnect as well, because I like numbers.

    3DS Friend Code: 1779-1560-3109 | NNID: TheWPCTraveler
    Devices: Lumia 630, ASUS T100, Nintendo 3DS XL.
    Now Playing: Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars [3DS]
    Now Watching: Pom Poko (平成狸合戦ぽんぽこ)


    I have a creepy avatar, don't I?
  25. snowmutt's Avatar

    Posts
    3,519 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,537 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #25  
    And here I come, playing the devil's advocate.


    Actually, me thinks people are burying BB just a tad too soon. I love BB10. It is a distant cousin to WebOS which is a fond memory and was ahead of it's time. I think BB can get through this. They have tons of cash reserves that have hardly been touched. Even if they do not get their entire user base to grab a new phone, throw 15-20 million out there and that is enough to survive. I believe the Q10 can do that. It has just been released, and it's momentum hasn't truly been measured yet.



    They need two things: A large screened device that can compete in this day and age of multi-media heavy users. The Z-10 was not it. A 4.5-4.8" screen device could. Next, they need to show developers and customers interested that they will support them and improve their devices. If they can, WP is not a shoe-in for third.


    I am not predicting this, it just isn't that hard of a scenario to envision a healthy BB.
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pinball FX for RT now!!
    By jdowsett in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RT
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-29-2013, 03:52 AM
  2. Anybody else not like the new Search?
    By dkp23 in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RT
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-28-2013, 09:33 PM
  3. Predictive texting on Line, Kakaotalk not working
    By onesreality in forum HTC 8X
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-28-2013, 01:51 PM

Posting Permissions