BlackBerry thrown in the towel, puts company up for sale

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Too bad this headline is totally false and misleading .we have seen similar scenarios in many companies. don't count Blackberry out. They have a a lot going for them including 2.9 billion in cash. The BB10 software is superior and they just need to start licencing to has- beens like Nokia and Htc to get back in the race. It would be nice if there weren't so much trash talk against them but hey we are Canadian and we are used to it. The British used us for Cannon fodder until they realized we were actually winning more battles than they were. the Canadians were much better in dday and especially dday plus 2 and 3 rescuing the United states bacon. But hey you will live to hear me say "I told You so"

Nokia would not license that software, and they are as much of a has-been as blackberry is. WP8 is bypassing BB and most of that is Nokia devices.
Also I'm not sure why everyone looks at privatization as a funeral. If anything it'll give BB more freedom to maneuver and will likely increase chances of recovery if anything

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft needs to put some money (like the did with NOKIA) on and use BB hardware with WP and BBM. Enterprise market share will go to roof

I'm not so sure on that. There has already been something of a European shift towards Nokia-based Windows Phones in the business sector, while Blackberry has been losing customers like crazy for some time now. They are not really a needed acquisition for Microsoft to grow in the enterprise market. In fact, a Microsoft purchase of Blackberry would pretty much mean that Microsoft would be buying a company to counter what Nokia is doing, which would be a bit silly, no?

I guess there would be the option of buying Blackberry for its patents and services while stripping away the hardware sector, and allowing that stuff to go away or something. Maybe Microsoft and Nokia could do a shared purchase, with Microsoft getting the majority (or all) of the services for the overall Windows Phone OS experience, while Nokia could get the hardware sector to increase device output and/or gain design patents.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft needs to put some money (like the did with NOKIA) on and use BB hardware with WP and BBM. Enterprise market share will go to roof

I also thought about this. It would seem like a good move for both companies: Blackberry becomes a 'Nokia' and adopts the Windows Phone OS and then has their exclusive killer-apps. I wonder how fast they could get Windows Phone 8 running on the Z10. Also, I wonder what this would do to Microsoft's relationship with Nokia, though. I wouldn't want that relationship damaged at all.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
R.I.P to the RIM/Blackberry Empire
w̶e̶b̶O̶S̶, S̶y̶m̶b̶i̶a̶n̶, B̶a̶d̶a̶, M̶e̶e̶G̶o̶ ̶ and now B̶l̶a̶c̶k̶b̶e̶r̶r̶y̶
pouring-out-liquor.gif

gkrew

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
BlackBerry is looking to sell their north american interests not the entire company. Their Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) and BlackBerry Voice Services(BVS) are used by companies still. Their Network Operations Center (NOC) is not going away either.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Too bad this headline is totally false and misleading .we have seen similar scenarios in many companies. don't count Blackberry out. They have a a lot going for them including 2.9 billion in cash. The BB10 software is superior and they just need to start licencing to has- beens like Nokia and Htc to get back in the race. It would be nice if there weren't so much trash talk against them but hey we are Canadian and we are used to it. The British used us for Cannon fodder until they realized we were actually winning more battles than they were. the Canadians were much better in dday and especially dday plus 2 and 3 rescuing the United states bacon. But hey you will live to hear me say "I told You so"

LOL. Thank you for that. I really needed a good chuckle today.

bryantest

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site

Geez. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that BOTH Nokia and HTC would be IDIOTS in adopting BB10.

LastBattle

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Geez. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that BOTH Nokia and HTC would be IDIOTS in adopting BB10.

not rocket scientist. They are too smart :)

rather it should be, it doesn't take an idi*~ot to figure out that it will be stupid for HTC and Nokia to adopt BB10

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
It's kind of funny and sad reading some of the threads on Crackberry. A lot of the fans there keep blaming everyone (carriers, financial analysts, other companies. etc) for some kind of anti-Blackberry conspiracy that is keeping the company down. Yet they refuse to ever blame the company for its bumbling ways. I mean why in the world would they bother to release something as weak as the 9720 when there are much better low end alternatives out there.

They also seem to enjoy taking potshots at WP and Nokia in order to make them feel better about their sinking ship.

kc77

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I think a purchase by Microsoft and or Nokia would help grow market share but only because of the business aspect. I looked at the z10 when I was looking to upgrade and thought it would be great if I was working as an executive somewhere but other than that it didn't seem to have much appeal to me as a regular consumer.

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
So, aside from the whole international arena my question is this:

With Windows Phone 8 gaining momentum and RIM's BB10 clearly not fairing well, what's BlackBerry's appeal?

As a personal mobile platform BlackBerry was never terribly popular. Not saying non-existent, but clearly iOS and Android did away with most of the market before BlackBerry could so much as put on their pants. However, BlackBerry always seemed to have the edge in enterprise, which isn't a market to be scuffed at. Fair enough, their platform clearly catered to this and offered much better solutions than Android and iOS. However, even at this point many businesses started to switch to iOS for productivity reasons (ability to better integrate with iPads, for instance).

So... now that Windows offers businesses a desktop OS (W8), server OS (2K12), mobile OS (WRT) and phone OS (WP) making closs-platform management and integration a hell of a lot easier, why would businesses continue to invest in BlackBerry equipment? Particularly when considering that most business' infrastructure is more heavily invested in PCs and Windows than phones and BlackBerry.

I'm not a business analyst but from a purely objective perspective I don't see a light at the end of RIM's tunnel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb