BlackBerry Slashing Workforce

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Our North are the Himalayas :D JK ...

They just aanounced Z30 so they might be trying to cut their costs and sell off after this release.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
40%? Wow, things must be must worse than expected. They will be releasing earnings here soon. Gonna be a blood-bath.

Edit: Just read the article. All before end of this year.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
40%? Wow, things must be must worse than expected. They will be releasing earnings here soon. Gonna be a blood-bath.

Edit: Just read the article. All before end of this year.

Those 40% cuts won't be an accurate reflection of earnings, although that probably won't be pretty either. Those types of cuts to the workforce are almost always in preparation for a sell off.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
That's brutal news. I hate to hear it. Always been a Blackberry fan and hate to see them fail (another black eye for Canadian tech companies). I much prefer WP8 UI and hardware design over Blackberry though. :p

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It's almost kind of surreal. Even more surreal than hearing Microsoft buying a part of Nokia. I imagine it's only a matter of time before someone buys BlackBerry too. I think Dell would make a good choice considering Dell wants into the smartphone business but is also fairly dominant in the business sector. Having a business line of smartphones could be very beneficial for Dell and BlackBerry.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It's almost kind of surreal. Even more surreal than hearing Microsoft buying a part of Nokia. I imagine it's only a matter of time before someone buys BlackBerry too. I think Dell would make a good choice considering Dell wants into the smartphone business but is also fairly dominant in the business sector. Having a business line of smartphones could be very beneficial for Dell and BlackBerry.

Dell had the best business phone out there with the Venue Pro. Problem lies in the bad taste they left in peoples' mouths with the Aero and Streak. That, and the s**t camera in the DVP.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why people feel sorry for BB. They are a company who didn't change with the times (at least not quick enough). It is called business...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why people feel sorry for BB. They are a company who didn't change with the times (at least not quick enough). It is called business...
I think it's because a lot of people here were long time BB users. I got started with these forums because of BB/CrackBerry. If not BB, most of the long-time members came from webOS/Palm.

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't want to see BB go the way of Palm/webOS, which looks like the case.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I think it's because a lot of people here were long time BB users. I got started with these forums because of BB/CrackBerry. If not BB, most of the long-time members came from webOS/Palm.

I think Laura is one of those people ;)
I feel sorry for BB not because I've used BB (I've never used any), but because their products have a lot of promise.
That, and I've seen a lot of burning platforms that I've liked before. Symbian, Maemo/MeeGo, webOS, and now BlackBerry

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't want to see BB go the way of Palm/webOS, which looks like the case.

I had the Sega Master System, Sega Genesis and Sega Dreamcast, but I wasn't losing any sleep when they stopped making consoles. Either your the prey or the predator, and BB isn't a predator anymore.

EDIT: I do own a Z10 btw.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like Dell isn't interested in trying smartphones again. We're focused on enterprise, not mobile phones: Michael Dell

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I had the Sega Master System, Sega Genesis and Sega Dreamcast, but I wasn't losing any sleep when they stopped making consoles. Either your the prey or the predator, and BB isn't a predator anymore.

EDIT: I do own a Z10 btw.
I think it all depends on each person's interests. I wouldn't care if game consoles disappeared completely, but other people like them.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think Laura is one of those people ;)

I feel sorry for BB not because I've used BB (I've never used any), but because their products have a lot of promise.
That, and I've seen a lot of burning platforms that I've liked before. Symbian, Maemo/MeeGo, webOS, and now BlackBerry

So was I (BB & webOS). Guess that makes me a two-time loser or a company killer. Hmm, maybe I'll try Android again.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site

My first smartphone was a Treo 600, then I moved onto a Blackberry 7105t (t- standing for tmobile I assume). When my Treo 600 was finally finished and toast, (it was the buggest piece of crap I have ever owned) I took a baseball bat to it :)

All my blackberries were great devices. I actually found my first mobile forum (pinstack) in 2006 when researching an error on how to fix my blackberry. I had some java error and the directions on Pinstack fixed it. I remember Laura from those days, and I had a different user name :)

I have fond memories of my blackberry and honstly the BB10 OS is about 4 years too late. Back then at least in the US, the iphone was only on at&t and android was a piece of crap.

It was iphone, blackberry 5, and 6, and windows mobile 6.1.
It is sad to see the state of Blackberry.

WebOS could have been something neat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon