First few days with my new BLU

LouCap

May 30, 2015
Visit site
In the last few weeks I've been getting into Win 8.1, developing an appreciation for how well it works. It all started with an Asus T-100 I bought on Woot for $200. Next I got a Surface 3, and now the Blu Win HD LTE to compliment it. Having had a variety of Android phones prior to this, I have to say WP 8.1 is an amazing OS. Very intuitive and fast. When it comes to budget phones, the Blue Win HD LTE compares quite favorably. As an example, I have a OnePLus One I bought for $249, which although inexpensive, shares specs with many flagship phones out there. While the Blue isn't as impressive on paper, any differences in performance are very subtle. Granted it might be the OS helping the Blue out in that respect, but I find it to be just as snappy.

Despite only having 1GB of ram, the Blue runs perfectly well, with little or no perceptible lag. It feels good in the hand, and the layout of the physical buttons is familiar (volume rocker and power), but reversed fem the norm with the power button being below the volume on the right side. The silicon case it comes with is a nice bonus, and fits the phone perfectly. You also get a set of headphones (who DOES that?), and the ubiquitous wall wart charger. I added a 64gb SD card to augment the 8gb of storage it comes with, and I'm having all of my new programs, photos and music go to it. So far, using the SD card in this manner has been flawless.

The battery life has been amazing. I used the phone all day yesterday to stream Pandora on my boat, and last night I still had 58% battery left. Compared to most phones with a screen this size, that's impressive. Speaking of the screen... despite only being 720, it's incredibly crisp and easy to read. In fact, it might be the best phone I've ever used in daylight. I was shocked at how good the screen looks in direct sunlight.

In terms of connectivity, I've had no problem getting on AT&T LTE. I just inserted my SIM card, and it worked instantly with no fuss. It's worked with every wifi I've tried with the exception of 5G routers, which it doesn't even pick up. Fortunately, people usually have both 2.4ghz and 5g in the same unit, so I haven't really missed out in that respect. The Bluetooth took a little while to pair with my truck, but it once it did it has worked without a hiccup.

So, as you can see, I'm quite pleased with my purchase. I highly recommend the Blue Win HD LTE to anyone looking for a great budget phone, or someone wanting to try WP. At $199 off contract, this is really an exceptional buy, and I feel you get WAY more than your money's worth from this phone.

Andrew_404

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I've ordered this same phone for my wife. I think I'm more excited than her. I have the Nokia 735 which is a great phone. If her Win Blu turns out to be awesome then, I'll treat myself then. Lol

LouCap

May 30, 2015
Visit site
She'll love it! The only thing I miss, is having a notification light on the front. But, as often as I check my phone, it hasn't really been an issue so far.

Andrew_404

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
My first impressions of Win Blu HD LTE

Well, after UPS delivered my wife's new Win Blu, LTE phone, I'm actually blown away by the quality, feel, and look of this product. I'm so jealous now.

The Win Blu HD was very easy to setup, email and other accounts just fell into place. Speed from screen to screen is fast with no lag. The only challenge is that I had to setup within setting the MMS from my carrier. Other than that.. Easy peasy.

The color of the phone in lime. Its slick. Already tried some music and the sound while not perfect, it's good enough. My suggestions to you if you're torn of what phone to buy. Get this phone for $199 at the Microsoft store. Make sure it is the full unlocked version OK.

Thanks

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I looked at one at the local Microsoft store and liked what I saw. The only thing that held me back was I could get no answers from the techs at the store as to when after W10's release the phone might get the upgrade to W10. So I went to a local Cricket store and looked at a 640. Once again I could not get any info as to the wait time after W10's release for the 640 to get it. I got online and was a bit put off by the poor record Cricket has on upgrading Windows phones so I passed on it also. My 820 is still excellent so I am in no hurry; but I fully do not believe it will ever receive W10 either. Look how it has never received the last update after Cyan. But then my Moto G LTE has never received Lollipop and it has been out for quite some time also. It seems if you want the latest OS on a Windows or Android phone you have to buy it already installed. Even my wife's 925 is still stuck on Cyan.Only my Kindle Fires seem to be always getting upgrades.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...I could get no answers from the techs at the store as to when after W10's release the phone might get the upgrade to W10...

Blu is not carrier branded. They have a (short) history of pushing the updates pretty fast since getting into the Windows Phone arena. They went Update 1 in December ahead of 95% of Lumias. They went Update 2 very quickly after the RTM. I believe they are serious about pushing updates as a way of differentiating themselves from other OEMs. Their Firmware is very light so the testing goes quick. Microsoft has done all the heavy lifting by the time the update hits the OEM's. It is carriers that drag their feet. In terms of Cricket (or any mvno really), I would only ever bring my own device to them.

LouCap

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Well, I was very curious myself as to when we might get Win 10 on the Blue, but then something happened today. I got an email that the Lumina 640XL I had preordered actually shipped! So, if I like it, my little Blue might be going away before the whole Win 10 issue becomes a problem.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
You make a great point about Blu firmware. They have pushed that out quicker than any other phone.

Glanced at the new LTE one in my local Microsoft store and it appeared well made and smooth. Wish I'd had more time to play.

LouCap

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, the camera is actually not that bad. I also own a OnePlus with a 13MP camera, and I had an HTC One before that, and the 8MP on the Blue is AS good if not BETTER than the other two.

Andrew_404

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, the camera is actually not that bad. I also own a OnePlus with a 13MP camera, and I had an HTC One before that, and the 8MP on the Blue is AS good if not BETTER than the other two.

I'm actually quite pleased with the camera. Not a big user but its good enough. I went to the Cricket store today and looked at the Nokia 640. Not too shabby at all for the price point. Very similar in specs to my Lumia 735 which I'm very loyal too. I may get the Lumia 640 but it will be unlocked.

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I really wanted to get this phone but no screen projection is a deal killer for me. (So is no SiriusXM app, so hopefully we get an official one for W10. Until then I'll go with the $7 unofficial one when I switch back to WP)

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

LouCap

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Two things. One, After a few weeks of carrying my Blue in my pocket without a screen protector, I had no issues. Second, the phone comes with a screen protector in the box for free, so you can put it on if you so desire.

On a side note, I liked my Blue so much, I made the jump to a Lumina 640 XL. So, if you're looking for a very lightly used Blue with all of the original packaging, manuals and accessories... you might just want to check eBay. Screen name Pirate312.

MaryJane197

May 11, 2014
Visit site
In terms of connectivity, I've had no problem getting on AT&T LTE. I just inserted my SIM card, and it worked instantly with no fuss. It's worked with every wifi I've tried with the exception of 5G routers, which it doesn't even pick up. Fortunately, people usually have both 2.4ghz and 5g in the same unit, so I haven't really missed out in that respect. The Bluetooth took a little while to pair with my truck, but it once it did it has worked without a hiccup.

So, as you can see, I'm quite pleased with my purchase. I highly recommend the Blue Win HD LTE to anyone looking for a great budget phone, or someone wanting to try WP. At $199 off contract, this is really an exceptional buy, and I feel you get WAY more than your money's worth from this phone.

I am SO glad that I read your post. I have been worried about the Blu Win HD LTE not getting LTE signal on ATT. I thought it was missing the necessary bands. But reading your post has reassured me. I currently have the Blu Win JR LTE but i do NOT get LTE with ATT.

seeremlive

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I am SO glad that I read your post. I have been worried about the Blu Win HD LTE not getting LTE signal on ATT. I thought it was missing the necessary bands. But reading your post has reassured me. I currently have the Blu Win JR LTE but i do NOT get LTE with ATT.

There is no difference in the chipset from the LTE to the LTE JR. They cover the same bands. You should have no problem getting LTE on the JR. Check out this htt ps://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks. AT&T uses 700 (CH17) & 1700 (CH04) & 1900 (CH02). 700 & 1700 are available on both phones as long as you put the AT&T SIM into SIM1. The phones do not have the 1900 (CH02). As a side note T-Mobile uses the same frequencies, 700 & 1700,the phones do not have the 1900 that T-Mobile also uses.

There is no reason your JR should not have LTE if it is available in your area.

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Well i have my SIM card in the first slot and it doesnt get LTE. Only 4g. On my iphone i got LTE at my house. My JR only picks up 4g.

4G = LTE the terms are interchangeable. If the phone states '4G', it's more than likely using LTE. Some phones state 'LTE' when they are connected to an LTE network, others state '4G'.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
4G = LTE the terms are interchangeable. If the phone states '4G', it's more than likely using LTE. Some phones state 'LTE' when they are connected to an LTE network, others state '4G'.

With Win HD LTE on an AT&T mvno my phone displays LTE.

Here in the US most carriers use 4G to indicate H+. I know Europe never fell into that mislabeling.

Phones have several icons to display and the choice of which to display is actually part of the carrier string that comes from the tower. That's why the labels can vary in meaning so much.

MaryJane197

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Well on my iPhone it always displayed LTE. My Win JR doesnt get as good reception as my iPhone because it only gets 4g. I noticed better reception with my iPhone than with the Win JR. I have a Win HD LTE on the way from Amazon. I am supposed to get it Wednesday. I am hoping i will get better reception with it and get the LTE.

chris_t

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
My BLU also arrived today. Nice piece of work for 50?. Got it as a backup phone,couldn't resist to Amazon's price.

Still, I have two questions:

1. I'm not able to set the network, it works on 4G LTE, but I would like to set it to 3G, I find this good enough for my needs.

2. What's the charger's output? The international version only comes with the USB cable,no charger. So I've charged the phone win a BlackBerry Passport charger, but it took almost 4 hours for a full charge. Windows Insider App showed a 26% per hour rate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster