Why I might switch from a Lumia 635 to the BLU WinHD

Anthony112409p

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
There are rumors that BLU's WinHD will come to T-Mobile, and if and when it does, I might seriously consider switching from my Lumia 635. Some may wonder why somebody would do that, especially since the BLU phone is $50 more and the Lumia 635 is a solid budget device. To put it simply: on paper, the Win HD offers a better value. The 635 technically has a better processor, but both processors are quad-core running at 1.2 GHz. Practically speaking, there will be very little noticable difference. The Win HD phone might even perform a little better than the 635 due to the full 1gb of RAM. My 635 has ocassionally become unbearably slow at times due to its incredibly miserly 512mb (and no, I've found that simply swiping down on that screen does not actually exit the apps). Even so, I don't think I should have to worry about the amount of apps that I have open due to the amount of RAM, but it is a constant concern on my 635. Windows Phone is supposed to be the king of memory management, but it even struggles to perform in this area on the 635. 1gb of RAM will likely not completely and totally solve the problem, but it should make it better and easier to manage. I also like a 5" screen better, and the fact that the Win HD is a higher resolution makes it all the more tempting. The camera also looks to be slightly better, though I am unaware of how good or bad BLU's cameras typically perform. Also, the Win HD solves the 635's most egregious problem, which is the unforgivable omission of a proximity sensor. The Win HD has one and I am definitely looking forward to having that convenience again.

The only thing that I will need to get used to is the lack of LTE. T-Mobile's HSPA+ network is just fine where I am, but if I upgrade to BLU's new phone I definitely won't be rocking the fast data speeds I am used to getting. However, since I am on one of T-Mobile's budget plans (2bg started plan for $45), I don't do hardcore usage, and I have great WiFi at home I am not anticipating too much of a problem in that area.

So yeah, while on paper the phone sounds like a better one to me, we'll have to see how it plays in real life. I'll wait for some reviews to hit the net before I decide.

What do you guys think?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Even I plan to try out the Blu Win HD, actually I have the exact amount set aside in my Amazon account for it.
Lumia 830 is a better bet than the 635 or 735 but that is just my 2c.

Mustang6511

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Well, Unfortunately T-Mobile isn't the most reliable phone carrier, which might explain your slower than advertised processor speeds. The 635 sounds great to a guy who currently has a 928: a better phone w/out 8.1. Lack of LTE will also be a huge hassle, unless you spend 90% of your life connected to Wi-Fi, which can get expensive if it's your own. The proximity sensor is a unbelievable overlook, but I think overall you'll be more happy with the 635.
I'd do some more research for yourself to decide however.
Good luck and I hope everything turns out well.

Jose_Rey

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Well, they said they would have it at the Microsoft Store when it comes out. So, if you're close by, you should go in there and compare your 635 to the BLU. On PhoneDog, they were bashing mostly for the camera and ecosystem. But if you're on WP, you already know that, I mean the app thingy. The camera, however may be an issue for you. On the plus side, it does have a flash :)

malman89

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Well, they said they would have it at the Microsoft Store when it comes out. So, if you're close by, you should go in there and compare your 635 to the BLU. On PhoneDog, they were bashing mostly for the camera and ecosystem. But if you're on WP, you already know that, I mean the app thingy. The camera, however may be an issue for you. On the plus side, it does have a flash :)

It's not like the 635 camera is anything special, either. Pretty sure any phone in that price range isn't giving you a decent camera - until a month or so after the 735 launches and gets its price slashed significantly. The Win HD is a huge appeal to me if it is significantly cheaper than the 735 and has good reviews.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
It's not like the 635 camera is anything special, either. Pretty sure any phone in that price range isn't giving you a decent camera - until a month or so after the 735 launches and gets its price slashed significantly. The Win HD is a huge appeal to me if it is significantly cheaper than the 735 and has good reviews.

The Nokia entry level 5MP cameras will give any other Android maker's camera a run for their money. The sole reason I upgraded from my 521 to higher models was the OS and the camera. I have documented my app gap gripe about 6 months ago here and have found a happy medium now with my N7 tablet and the combo of WP for phone and Android for tablet works for my needs.

Anthony112409p

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
The Nokia entry level 5MP cameras will give any other Android maker's camera a run for their money. The sole reason I upgraded from my 521 to higher models was the OS and the camera. I have documented my app gap gripe about 6 months ago here and have found a happy medium now with my N7 tablet and the combo of WP for phone and Android for tablet works for my needs.

I'm not so sure. The Lumia 635 camera is 5mp, b ut from what I can tell it is no different from an Android set low-end camera. No Zeiss optics, no PureView technology. The pictures are nothing special either. They're not awful, but I don't think they're really good either.

As for having an Android tablet together with a Windows Phone, I think that would get a little inconvenient after a while since you can't sync things up between the two OS's. Still, though, it can be a good middle ground and I have pondered saving up some money to splurge on HTC's Nexus 9 when it releases.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm not so sure. The Lumia 635 camera is 5mp, b ut from what I can tell it is no different from an Android set low-end camera. No Zeiss optics, no PureView technology. The pictures are nothing special either. They're not awful, but I don't think they're really good either.

As for having an Android tablet together with a Windows Phone, I think that would get a little inconvenient after a while since you can't sync things up between the two OS's. Still, though, it can be a good middle ground and I have pondered saving up some money to splurge on HTC's Nexus 9 when it releases.

I have cycled through as my Android's as WPs in the last year (over 65+ devices total) and at least in my personal experience the 521 trumped all other cameras except the N5. The 810 and 925 take really good pictures, I actually seldom use my DSLR unless I need a specific reason to use it.
The way I have things set up I don't have issues syncing up because the cloud has everything backed up and usually apps are available on both platforms. The main reason for my N7 is that a couple of apps I need to use occasionally don't have as many features on WP so I just use my phone as a hotspot and use the Android version of that app.

Benjamyn00

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
I also have the Lumia 635 and was considering switching to the BLU WinHD. I love my Lumia but BLU's increased RAM, proximity sensor, and a front facing camera are pretty tempting. However I think the no LTE is a deal breaker for me. I use a lot of data and having LTE speeds is amazing. BLU WinHD looks like a great phone, especially for the price, however I don't think its for me. Anthony, Did you end up switching? If so what phone do you prefer?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon