No HD Video Recording

Jonathan Darby

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
According to an email that I just received from Blu in response to my question about HD video recording, the phone doesn't support it. They even asked me where I saw this advertised, so I proceeded to email them back that it was on THEIR Amazon listing and THEIR sales guide on their website. Mine is packaged up and ready for return to Amazon.

ImTooOld4This

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
The sales guide is still up on their site. I just purchased one for my wife for Christmas and she realized that all her videos that she recorded on her 2 year old Lumia 521 don't work on her Win HD. Considering sending it back and getting her a 635.

bigas

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I sent an email to BLU support and got almost the same answer; they simply said it does not support HD recording function.

Enviado do meu dispositivo m?vel.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
The Win HD and Win Jr use the Snapdragon 200 CPU, which isn't capable of taking HD footage. It's also not usually capable of displaying HD footage, just barely.

Since the 521 and 635 use a better GPU, the can shoot and display 720p video with no problem.

Marquis de Faux

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
The Win HD and Win Jr use the Snapdragon 200 CPU, which isn't capable of taking HD footage. It's also not usually capable of displaying HD footage, just barely.

Since the 521 and 635 use a better GPU, the can shoot and display 720p video with no problem.

Then why does it say that the Snapdragon 200 supports 720p video recording and playback on Qualcomm's website?
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/200

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Because the chip itself does. It is technically capable but Microsoft/Nokia/whoever decided to disable that functionality on this class of device.

SD400 devices can film 1080p easily for example. That doesn't mean all SD400 devices actually do that. See Lumia 630.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
So why is it sold and advertised by Microsoft that it plays/records HD video, when in fact it doesn't? I'm a little ticked off to say the least. I never would've bought the phone if I knew it couldn't handle certain video - I like viewing clips from various sites. 100% deal breaker.

Did I also mention that the touchscreen becomes unresponsive with games? YUP, 2 different versions of Angry Birds I personally tested - on both games the touchscreen became unresponsive after first level even after several attempts and reboots.

Anyway, I went to the Microsoft store to test display model (I thought maybe I just have defective device) and found a video that the Win HD couldn't play - I in fact tried on both Win HD display phones and they both couldn't play the video. But lo and behold every other unlocked phone on display played the video flawlessly - even the WIN JR. and also the yezzz Billy with the same Snapdragon 200 and 302 Adreno. Go figure.

Returning phone, I personally wouldn't recommend the Win HD to anyone. Blatantly false advertising.

Last edited:

lazybum131

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Anyway, I went to the Microsoft store to test display model (I thought maybe I just have defective device) and found a video that the Win HD couldn't play - I in fact tried on both Win HD display phones and they both couldn't play the video. But lo and behold every other unlocked phone on display played the video flawlessly - even the WIN JR. and also the yezzz Billy with the same Snapdragon 200 and 302 Adreno. Go figure.
Now that last bit is interesting. If even the Win JR has no issues playing back video then it must be something in the firmware or software of the Win HD. BLU definitely advertises the phone as having 1080p 30fps recording, now the info page on the Snapdragon 200 says it only supports 720p, but that's still better than the SD recording we have now. Maybe report it to someone and see if they can get some real answers from BLU instead of a scripted response from low-level tech support.

bigas

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Whats even stranger is that every other HD wp phone launched around the world with the same hw as the blu win HD comes with the same advertisement: HD video recording.

Can we call it a marketing bug?

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I bought one of these as a low-end development tester, usually I carry a 1520.3.

I've tried numerous 720p videos in a variety of containers on the latest updates and they all play fine. It does seem a bit strange now that they seem to have their playback issues resolved that they don't lift the restriction of recording 720p. But recording isn't playback and it could be though they just want to avoid any possible complaints of jerky recordings that might result.

FYI, here's a camera review page from PhoneArena of the HTC Desire 500 (Android 4.1). Uses the same Snapdragon 200 and does 720p recordings OK.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon