Has anyone succesfully used Blu Win HD/Jr on Telus/Bell/Virgin etc in Canada?

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I have read several accounts online that Blu phones, such as the Win HD, Win Jr and even android variants do not connect to any networks in Canada except Rogers/Fido. This is surprising because the phones do have the proper bands for the other networks. Reportedly, the phones can see Telus, Bell etc, when searching for a network but they cannot connect.

I am interested in the Blu Win HD but I am on Telus and am not sure if it will work. Can anyone else share their experiences with the Blu Windows Phones on Canadian networks? Thanks!

MameTozhio

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I have read several accounts online that Blu phones, such as the Win HD, Win Jr and even android variants do not connect to any networks in Canada except Rogers/Fido. This is surprising because the phones do have the proper bands for the other networks. Reportedly, the phones can see Telus, Bell etc, when searching for a network but they cannot connect.

I am interested in the Blu Win HD but I am on Telus and am not sure if it will work. Can anyone else share their experiences with the Blu Windows Phones on Canadian networks? Thanks!

I'd assume it would once you put in the proper access point things and such. It's available on the Microsoft Canada store, it would be silly for it to not support the second largest network in Canada.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I'd assume it would once you put in the proper access point things and such. It's available on the Microsoft Canada store, it would be silly for it to not support the second largest network in Canada.
It sounds silly too but there are many accounts of it not working and so far I haven't found a single account of the phones working on any carrier except Rogers/fido.

As I understand it, you can't change settings if the phone won't connect to the network in the first place. Perhaps some folks with personal experience will explain what is the problem, if any.

the_thunderbird

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
There's a review on the MS Store online that says it works, but the review looks awfully planted. I may be able to test on Wednesday for Wind if my father is free. I'm making a trip to the MS Store for one.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
There's a review on the MS Store online that says it works, but the review looks awfully planted. I may be able to test on Wednesday for Wind if my father is free. I'm making a trip to the MS Store for one.
Wow, are you right about that post on the MS Store. It sounds very planted. I will also try to stop by the Calgary MS Store soon and try my Telus sim (and maybe mobilicity too).

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
It won't work on Wind, doesn't seem to have the necessary frequency bands of 1700 and 2100.

As for Telus and Bell, it should work, though you'll probably need to input the APN settings manually.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I thought I should mention that I have since heard accounts of the phone working on Bell, Telus and even wind!
Read the reviews on the MS Store site:
Buy Unlocked BLU Win HD - Microsoft Store Online

THe reps in store in Calgary mentioned that they had trouble getting the display phones to recognize a sim (supposedly due to the demo software), maybe that's why your wind sim didn't work?

sberti

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I have a Blu Win Jr that is working fine on Telus. I just took my SIM card from my iPhone 4S and used an adapter to put in my Blu Win Jr. No problems. I'm from Campbell River, BC. I wrote a review on the Microsoft Canada store. My review isn't a 'plant'. Of course, it isn't a high end device but I think this is a solid phone for the price. I've been using it for about 1 month now without any problems.

anon(5261015)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Wow, are you right about that post on the MS Store. It sounds very planted. I will also try to stop by the Calgary MS Store soon and try my Telus sim (and maybe mobilicity too).

I bought the Win HD(510u) from the Microsoft Store and it works on Wind. Just popped in the sim card and it worked.

gpitman

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I just got a Blu HD and indeed could not connect to cellular. I did not notice for a while as I was never off wifi. But in Edmonton this week and noticed right away.

Went to the MS Store in West Ed and he has me manually add the APN, sp.telus.com and it worked, seems it will not connect manually.

Now I think back they where quick to want to try the manual and not automatic, maybe they know!!!!

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Can confirm that the Blu HD is working on Bell Canada, at least here in Moncton. I only had a brief chance to test it yesterday (Christmas present for my mother), sent and received texts/calls no problem.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
+1 working on telus.
Manual apn settings required.

I am also successfully using a Blu Win HD on Telus, however I can't open pictures in texts (just says "get media content now"). What APN / MMS settings did you use and can you receive picture messages and open them?

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I am also successfully using a Blu Win HD on Telus, however I can't open pictures in texts (just says "get media content now"). What APN / MMS settings did you use and can you receive picture messages and open them?

Ok, I just got it working... the settings given online often leave out the WAP settings for MMS (or perhaps they are assuming you will carry them over from the internet APN. Anyway, it's all working!

D-Money12

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Using Win HD with Virgin Mobile (in Montreal) and works fine.

Had to manually enter the apn setting but the process was beyond easy.

Good luck!

Peter Cichoszewski

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
The BLU Win HD works fine with either Mobilicity or Rogers or with both at once being dual SIM. My current setup is micro SIM for Mobilicity and another micro SIM in a mini SIM adapter for Rogers. I can switch for data on either one. You can also use either to call or message ( can even text message self :) ).

MassDeduction

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
OK people, most people here are right, and most people here are wrong. Let me explain. :)

The Blu Win HD and Blu Win Jr. are both dual-SIM phones. They are 3G for the main SIM slot, and 2G for the second SIM slot. This second SIM slot is what creates the confusion. Fido (when they were independent) went GSM for 2G. Rogers when IS-136, but later switched to GSM. Everyone else (Telus, Bell, Sasktel, MTS, TBayTel, you name it) all went CDMA2000. Unlike the American carriers who stubbornly stuck with CDMA2000 through the 3G era, the Canadian CDMA2000 carriers all sensibly abandoned it and switched to HSPA over half-a-decade ago. That means that unlike Rogers, they don't have 2G GSM support.

This means that SIMs on the Rogers network (Rogers, Fido, Chatr, Cityfone, 7-11 Speakout, etc.) will all work in *both* SIM slots. This also means that SIMs on *every other network* in Canada will only work in the main SIM slot. Put your Telus, Bell, etc., SIM in the wrong slot in the Blu Win HD or the Blu Win Jr. and it won't work.

As for the new entrants (Wind, Mobilicity, Eastlink, Videotron, etc.), they also don't have 2G GSM, but instead of HSPA over 850MHz and PCS they're rocking HSPA over AWS. This is a problem for the Blu Win Jr. as it doesn't support AWS. The Blue Win HD comes in two variants, and you'll want the "U" variant which does support AWS. Last I checked you could get this version from some sellers, but Microsoft was unfortunately selling the variant that didn't support AWS.

The new Blu Win HD LTE supports 3G AWS, so ironically (depending on where you're buying it) you may have to get the LTE version to get 3G support over AWS. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos