Dual sim problems Telus and Rogers (so close to working)

Zooty

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I am using Telus sim which is voice only, and Rogers sim which is data only. Both sims will work fine but not at the same time. When choosing sim 2(Rogers) in settings as Sim card for data connection I lose cell connection on Sim 1(Telus). So in other words I have to choose the telus Sim as my data Sim in order for voice to work. Kinda strange. Any thoughts. So close to working. The Rogers sim is a flex data plan I had in a tablet.

aleunge

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't have two sim cards in the phone to know, but if you aren't aware yet, a new update came out for our phones (8.1 update 1). Install that and see if your situation improves? Otherwise, strange behaviour indeed... doesn't make any sense actually. Call Blu?

Michael Castro3

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I have a bit of a different issue.
I have a Bell sim in slot 1 and a wind sim in slot 2. When Bell sim out, Wind works perfectly, when both sims in, Wind will only be in away mode, suggesting that it is picking up the Bell frequencies.

To me the similarities are in teh fact that dual sim have some peculiarities.

lazybum131

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Someone can correct me if I am mistaken, my understanding is as there is only one 3G radio, only one SIM slot can be set to use 3G at a time.

The issue is that only Rogers (and other carriers that use Rogers' network like Fido, Speakout, etc.) has a 2G GSM voice network, Bell and Telus were CDMA and switched to GSM when they rolled out their 3G networks.

So in both your situations, you cannot use your SIMs concurrently since they both require the use of the 3G radio of the phone to work.

aleunge

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
That is indeed strange. Good theory. Anyone knows if all dual sim phones (i.e. android, feature phone) function the same? Seems a little limiting,

Zooty

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
lazybum..that was my suspicion...but it kind of makes dual sim pointless.
As soon as I chose sim2 (rogers) as data, sim 1 Telus is not even found if I search for available networks.
My guess is your on to something.

Michael Castro3

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
If it only has one 3g radio then how does that help support a dual sim. Seems it really limits the value of the second sim port.

If I only want to use one sim ata time though how do I get it to switch to the other sim.

aleunge

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Castro3, I think what awesome members here are finding is that both slots can use 2G/GSM concurrently, but only one sim can use 3G at a time (whichever one is set to use data). So if both sims have 2G compatibility, you can call/text and receive calls/text at the same time (the phone has phone 1 and phone 2 as well as message 1 and message 2 stock apps instead of just one each, although you can merge them into one app with a toggle to access each slot). So in this case, you don't need to switch between Sims unless you want to use the other slot's data/3G.

If one sim only uses 3G for all communication though (Wind Mobile uses calls/text/data via 3G only), you won't be able to access that network unless you set that slot as the default data sim (or go on 2G roam).

Is that about right? So it looks like this dual sim thing only really works if you have two carriers with both GSM service.....

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Furthermore how would the phone know from which SIM he should use the data if both could be enabled. You also can not be connected to 2 Wifi networks in the same time. So to me it is logic that you have to set the 3G to only 1 SIM.

Zooty

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Yep ...think i'm out of luck. Live and learn...thanks for the help. I assumed dual sim meant two radios that would work with the frequencies specified for this phone (at the same time).Slightly misleading. If Rogers was my voice sim and Telus data I would have been in business because Rogers still uses 2g(this is my understanding). When I turn 3g off I lose telus connection and can only see Rogers when searching for networks. Makes sense what you guys are saying. I have a cheap grandfathered Telus corporate family plan...without data sharing... I don't want to give up, ( just to explain why I'm doing what I'm doing)

ntsux

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
So, by this logic, can I safely assume that I can use a 4G/3G carrier in SIM slot 1, and a second carrier that supports the same in SIM slot 2, and then assign SIM 1 to 3G service, and SIM 2 to 4G service? This would eliminate the need for 2G/Rogers.

I am assuming that 3G and 4G would use distinct radios.... just as 3G and 2G, as stated above.

I think a phone like the BLU 6 HD LTE edition would solve my problem. i really hope so, cuz, I really hate being stuck in this scenario!

Thoughts?

Peter Cichoszewski

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Here is what I found by using a Rogers and Mobilicity within GTA area. The Mobilicity was in the MicroSIM slot and Rogers in the other ( using a SIM adapter since my Rogers was also MicroSIM ). I had to set APN manually for either one to work with data. ( just 1 time setup ).

Then you select which SIM you want to use for data.... takes a few seconds for the phone to re-initialize ( not reboot, just waiting for connections to establish ) and it worked 80% of the time. If I found it not working, I would just reboot the phone ). You can SMS with your self with dual SIMs, but can't make calls to self (it won't even ring ).

ntsux

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I am struggling with Wind and Bell.. Both are HSPA+, and both are fighting for the 3g radio. Bell just will NOT join the 4G/LTE network for some reason with both SIMS in the phone, even when I swap SIM slots.

I didn't think we were pioneers with this in Canada.... :(

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am struggling with Wind and Bell.. Both are HSPA+, and both are fighting for the 3g radio. Bell just will NOT join the 4G/LTE network for some reason with both SIMS in the phone, even when I swap SIM slots.

I didn't think we were pioneers with this in Canada.... :(

It is my impression that only the GSM radio is doubled. If Wind is grabbing the 3G for voice, it is using the sole 3G/LTE radio on board, leaving nothing for Bell.

MassDeduction

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I've read a lot of the posts here and want to clear up a few of the misconceptions I read here.

Like all current dual-SIM Windows Phones, the Blu Win HD has only *one* radio. Not just one 3G radio, just one radio period. This radio is capable of either 2G or HSPA.

If one SIM is using the radio, then the other cannot. When you SMS yourself, it uses the radio briefly to send, then the other uses it briefly to receive. When one SIM is on the phone, the other can't ring because the radio is in use.

The Blu Win HD is HSPA for one SIM and 2G-only for the other. This isn't speculation, this is fact. It says it right on Blu's official spec list. So, yes, only a SIM on the Rogers network can use the second SIM in Canada. Bellus, Wind, etc., cannot, as they don't support 2G. Telus has no 2G anymore at all, and Bell only has CDMA2000 2G (which they're in the process of decommissioning).

It's no more false advertising to advertise a dual-SIM phone that can only use one SIM at a time, than it is to sell a multi-CD changer that can only play one CD at a time. That said, I get the confusion because there are four kinds of dual-SIM handsets:

- single standby, where only one SIM can access the radio, and you select from a menu which one it is

- dual-standby, where duplexing is used to let the SIMs rapidly alternate which is listening to the radio (this is what all the dual-SIM Windows Phones from Blu are)

- dual-standby w/auto-forwarding, where when one SIM is in use on the phone, calls to the other SIM are automatically forwarded to the other (this is what all the dual-SIM Lumias are)

- dual-active, where there are two radios so both SIMs can do whatever, whenever (this is very, very rare)

The only downer of the Blu Win HD is that it's not 3G on both radios. A 2G-only SIM is virtually useless for many Canadians.

aleunge

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
To clarify, you mean if one SIM accesses HSPA, the same SIM/other SIM can only access 2G at any one time. For example, if you have two Rogers SIM, you can have access to one 3G from either cards and 2G from both (rapidly alternating thing). There isn't discretely one 3G SIM slot and one 2G only SIM slot. Otherwise, you can't even use one Rogers SIM and access 2G/3G from that SIM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb