Ambient light sensor issues

aleunge

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi awesome peeps,

Wondering if anyone noticed ambient light sensor/automatic screen brightness issues? My first Blu HD wouldn't change screen brightness (no, not in battery saver mode) but the manual brightness setting does work. I brought it into the MS store where I got it from and the "tech" guy didn't even know what a light ambient sensor is :straight: ... long story short, we tried another Blu HD phone there and noticed it did the same. The tech called Blu and because Blu is charging for shipping to and from their service center, he gave me a new one off the shelf as a replacement.

I expected it to behave the same and not have auto brightness (i.e. only manual brightness but advertised with ambient light sensor), so I didn't even check until after installing recent 8.1 update 1. Now I notice it has a funny behaviour. When I turn on the screen from sleep, it will read the current light level so when the screen actually comes on, the brightness level is correct. When I go to a brighter/dimmer location, the screen will change accordingly, brighter or dimmer... but only one time. Going to a brighter/dimmer location won't make a difference anymore once a change has occurred.... unless I turn off the screen and turn it back on again. I've used quite a few phones and have never seen one that would only change brightness one time per screen wake. What the heck.

Also reached out to Blu and waiting for a response now.

aleunge

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. Surprised no one else has had this issue, since 3 out of 3 devices I tested behave with this problem. Oh well.

Anyway, Blu replied:

"We are aware of the issue and our technicians are working towards an update to correct the issue. We appreciate your patience."

Hope a fix is coming out soon.

Peter Cichoszewski

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
I did reset phone, updated , without going into dev mode and the sensor is working for now...
As in there is a diff is I point the phone at a very bright light , it get brighter...

aleunge

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tested it with the recent new firmware yet, but with the old one, it would brighten the screen but after you point it at something bright, it won't dim again when you go into a dark room. Like I reported, it only changes screen brightness once per phone wake.

da1510a

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
I sent a support request/bug report to BLU detailing this issue. I was very clear mentioning point by point what the problem was. (all updated, ambient light does not automatically adjust screen brightness). Their reply is disappointing. See below.

------------
Hello,

Thank you for contacting BLU Products. We will be happy to help!

We apologize for the inconvenience, however your message was inconclusive as to the exact nature of the issue you are experiencing.

Should you have any additional questions please contact us, via E-Mail or 1-877-602-8762 (Monday-Friday 9:30am-5:30pm EST).

Thank you for choosing BLU!

da1510a

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
In my report to them, I also referenced this thread to show them a few people are experiencing this.
Their reply shows that they did not investigate this much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster