Carrier exclusive rant thread

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
So it sux that a device is not on your carrier, you are sick of the corporate scum putting money over the success of the device or the platform. Exclusive apps make you sick ... well ... you're about to hate what I am going to say ... just a warning. Disclaimer: Everything going forward here is just my opinion.

I've read various things on this forum about carrier exclusives, some of the most absurd are the thought that Nokia is taking one-time cash payments for carrier exclusives. That because they are losing money, they are going for a cash-grab. I know it's hard to understand the decisions that Nokia makes sometimes, it feels at times like they want to fail, but I don't REALLY believe this to be true.

Nokia made a deal with Microsoft that essentially provides a couple of things:

* Microsoft pays Nokia 250million dollars a quarter to promote the platform
* Nokia is contractually bound to buy a minimum number of WP7/8 licenses from Microsoft, we don't know the exact number, but what do you know, it's very close to 250million dollars a quarter worth.

So Nokia needs these devices to sell in quantity. I don't know how many WP8 licenses you get for that kind of money, but I am pretty sure Nokia is not close to selling that many. Think about this for a second, they need to be selling about 20 million devices a quarter, and they only got to 4 in their biggest quarter.

So why ... oh why ... would they limit themselves to EE or ATT? Why wouldn't they just open up and offer the device everywhere?

The reason is that when they sold the 800 in the UK, that it was a relegated to a corner and not very well known anywhere. It was an 'also ran', unproven and hey .. why not just buy a galaxy or an iPhone. The price was also not very aggressive ... why take a chance on a device that's not cheaper or proven.

So how do you get carriers interested? Give them an exclusive .. it's that simple.

How do you get the price down? Give the carrier an exclusive .... they'll kick in a bit of extra dough ... Wonder how the Lumia 920 is only $149 on AT&T when it's a more expensive (list price) device? Carrier exclusive.

Does it / has it rubber Verizon the wrong way? Yes according to MrMacphisto. But honestly, it's best to have one best friend than two acquaintances right?

Nokia NEED this to be successful, they are betting the company on it. The carrier exclusives are in an effort to support the platform and grow it, not corporate greed. They need the price to be right, they need in-store promotion. In the store is where this device will be successful or not ... it doesn't matter whether some ******'s buy it, this is a game of millions of units, not thousands.

I think success of HTC will help Nokia. Success of Nokia will very much help HTC. I am glad that HTC have put more effort in this time, but it's nowhere near the investment/risk that Nokia is making. Success of Windows 8 will help Windows Phone 8.

I really want the 920 on US Cellular ... yeah .. not likely to happen ... so I am going to get it for straightalk (either outright or by canceling a contract). If you are on Verizon, get the 8X or the 822. Really want the 920? switch carriers or wait this round out.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
beMB4.gif

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
For Nokia's sake I hope AT&T promotes and pushes the 920 heavily. I still can't help think Nokia is going to miss quite a few sales by not having a premium device on Verizon and T-Mobile, but I'm sure I don't have access to all the info that led them to make this decision.

mrmdj316

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Nokia needed to make a CDMA variant and offer it to all the major CDMA players, instead of making that 922 for Verizon which is not coded and encrypted to todays Qualcomm CDMA standards (current is 512bit encryption compared to 256bit encryption).

And you expect US Cellular, Credo, Movida, Premier, nTelos, MetroPCS, Boost, Net10, Straight Talk CDMA service, Virgin Mobile, and especially WPCentral's most hated carrier ever (Sprint) to cater to the WP community with an OS not coded and encrypted properly in order to offer devices that will perform to their maximum potential, and enjoy talk and data simultaneously with the proper hardware and software coding and encryption? Is like Microsoft has no interest on increasing their shrinking share in the US smartphone market by just focusing on GSM and undercoded and underencrypted CDMA devices for Verizon.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre