Prepaid Phone Options

neogodless

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to gather information regarding buying a new/current smartphone, getting it unlocked (if necessary) and using it with Prepaid options, such as AT&T GoPhone or Straight Talk.

Who has successfully done this? Can you buy a new phone, like an HTC 8X or Lumia 920, off contract, request to get it unlocked, and use it with a Prepaid plan?

Does the phone still use 4G or will it be limited to 3G?

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I use a Lumia 710 on T-Mobile's Monthly 4G plan. Works wonderfully. Are you only looking at AT&T? If you buy an AT&T Lumia 920, 820, or HTX 8X, you can use it on AT&T w/o needing to unlock it. Same goes for using it on Straight Talk.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You will be unable to use LTE with a MVNO provider that uses AT&T's network. Ability to use LTE requires one to have AT&T as his/her provider.

neogodless

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have T-Mobile now, but the signal at my house is very poor, which is why I'm ready to try AT&T PrePaid ($65) or StraightTalk ($50).

I just want to confirm that the Lumia 920 bought off-contract with will work, including the LTE, with one of these plans. It sounds like the PrePaid option should work. As long as AT&T gives me the option to return the phone, I could get that and start a PrePaid plan with them, and then confirm that LTE is working. Online, they do not let you purchase an off-contract Lumia 920 while signing up for a PrePaid plan.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I have T-Mobile now, but the signal at my house is very poor, which is why I'm ready to try AT&T PrePaid ($65) or StraightTalk ($50).

I just want to confirm that the Lumia 920 bought off-contract with will work, including the LTE, with one of these plans. It sounds like the PrePaid option should work. As long as AT&T gives me the option to return the phone, I could get that and start a PrePaid plan with them, and then confirm that LTE is working. Online, they do not let you purchase an off-contract Lumia 920 while signing up for a PrePaid plan.

No LTE yet. It might change in the future, but for now, AT&T reserves it's LTE for it's postpaid customers only.

kmcochran

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm totally new to prepaid phone options but really want to go that route. My husband really wants the Lumia 920. If we purchase it off contract, is our only option the AT&T $65 plan or can it be used on Straight Talk? We are currently on Sprint.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm totally new to prepaid phone options but really want to go that route. My husband really wants the Lumia 920. If we purchase it off contract, is our only option the AT&T $65 plan or can it be used on Straight Talk? We are currently on Sprint.

It can be used on Straight Talk w/o having to unlock it.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

It can be used with straight talk, possibly net10, and h20 wireless. The last one has a ridiculous data cap tho

Sent from something uhmayzing using my pinkie

kmcochran

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have another Straight Talk question. After you purchase the sim card, if you switch phones, can you just pop the existing sim card into the new phone (assuming they use the same size), or do you have to purchase a new sim from Straight Talk?

Hammered Pizza

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I have another Straight Talk question. After you purchase the sim card, if you switch phones, can you just pop the existing sim card into the new phone (assuming they use the same size), or do you have to purchase a new sim from Straight Talk?

Yep. Simple as that. Useful for if you're not gonna be with electricity for a while and need to switch to a phone that'll last longer on battery.

kmcochran

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. When we called them, the Rep said that the sim could *not* be used in another phone, which didn't really make sense to me and it didn't confirm what I had read elsewhere.

Another question, if we don't renew it for a month, can we renew it at a later time and still use the same sim card? I'm asking because my husband decided to return his Lumia 920 (likes his Arrive with keyboard better) and I will probably get a new Android phone next month. I'd like to just use that sim in the new phone and not have to get another one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3