Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By eric12341
  • 1 Post By fatclue_98
  1. M L

Is there really any difference between Net10 and Straight Talk? From what I've learned they're both Tracfone subsidiaries with ST just being specially branded for WalMart. I was set to try ST, but don't live near a Walmart and I like to be able to go into a store to buy, return/exchange, or just talk to someone about it. With Net10 I can get the sim at RadioShack or many other stores.
    Has anyone used one or both of these? Bonus if it was with a Lumia 920.
    Well both can use either AT&T or T-mobile phones, problem is that the US version of the 920 is locked to AT&T only unless travelling, you'd be better off buying the GSM unlocked version. Another problem is that if you're caught streaming on either of these networks your service will be cut. That being said you're much better off going with either T-mobile monthly 4G or a value plan.
    Thanked by:
    rdubmu 
    Laura Knotek likes this.

I am using my Lumia 920 on Straight Talk now, all seems to be working well. Had no problems with data, text or calls. I have only been using it a couple of days, but all seems well. Just make sure you use the ATT compatible sim, you cannot get the att sim from their site. I got mine at walmart.com.
  4. M L

I don't live near a Walmart (which I usually say "lucky me" ). Wish ST was available elsewhere, but if it's all the same, I can pick up a Net10 sim card at Radio Shack.
    Last edited by M L; 02-18-2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: spellcheck

I'm curious about this too. It seems like most of the buzz is about Straight Talk but if the service and price is the same then I'd rather not deal with Walmart. Does anyone know if you can use an AT&T locked phone on Net10 like you can with Straight Talk? Is there any real advantage that Straight Talk has over Net10?

I have been using my locked Lumia 920 on Net10 for 20 days now. Works great. No issues. Fastest speed so far 7 Mps. As of March 1 Net10 will be limited to a data cap of 1.5 GB. It looks like streaming will be okay then but who would want to risk using up their data streaming. Signal has been great, too.
    Thanked by:
    thed 

Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dae365go View Post
    I have been using my locked Lumia 920 on Net10 for 20 days now. Works great. No issues. Fastest speed so far 7 Mps. As of March 1 Net10 will be limited to a data cap of 1.5 GB. It looks like streaming will be okay then but who would want to risk using up their data streaming. Signal has been great, too.
    Yeah, I guess either people got fed up with being lied to about "unlimited data," AT&T realized that Net10 and Straight Talk are stealing lots of customers from them, AT&T didn't like the fact that Net10 and ST advertised unlimited data or some combination of the above.

At least now if I recommend ST or Net10, I can say, "They give you 1.5GB," rather than, "Well, they say it's unlimited, but it's really not, and no one really knows what the data cap is, but most people guess it's around 2GB a month, or 100MB a day, but really it's up to ST/Net10 and if they decide you're using too much they'll throttle you."

Their customer service still sucks though.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013
  8. M L

NET10 and Straight Talk both now say to bring a T-mobile compatible phone, or an unlocked GSM phone. They used to say bring an AT&T compatible or any unlocked GSM. What's changed?

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M L View Post
    NET10 and Straight Talk both now say to bring a T-mobile compatible phone, or an unlocked GSM phone. They used to say bring an AT&T compatible or any unlocked GSM. What's changed?
    At the moment when I put my zip into ST or Net10's website only T-Mobile SIM's are available. My guess would be that some changes are happening on the AT&T side and they will be pushing T-Mobile more than in the past.

Global Posts
    2,784 Global Posts
    Net10, Straight Talk, Tracfone & Simple Mobile are ALL owned by America Movil and they're all in bed with T-Mobile now. There are still some AT&T-compatible Net10 sims out there as well as ST. I've written some tuts on how to get working MMS on ST with the Focus and Quantum and they're both a pain. If you are in an area where T-Mo has re-farmed, I suggest Simple Mobile only because their settings are widely used and most databases such as HTC & Samsung's connection managers have them. They're all good for data (I've used every one of them) since you only need to enter the APN, but MMS can be tricky with WP7/7.5. Hope this helps.
    HeyCori likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    Net10, Straight Talk, Tracfone & Simple Mobile are ALL owned by America Movil and they're all in bed with T-Mobile now. There are still some AT&T-compatible Net10 sims out there as well as ST. I've written some tuts on how to get working MMS on ST with the Focus and Quantum and they're both a pain. If you are in an area where T-Mo has re-farmed, I suggest Simple Mobile only because their settings are widely used and most databases such as HTC & Samsung's connection managers have them. They're all good for data (I've used every one of them) since you only need to enter the APN, but MMS can be tricky with WP7/7.5. Hope this helps.
    Hi fatclue-98,

I've recently got tired of T-Mobile's treatment of their 810 owners and unlocked and moved my old HTC HD 7 (7.8) to net10. I can get data and internet, but no matter what I try I haven't been able to do MMS. I've also tried HTC's Connection Setup but it doesn't seem to fix the issue.

So when you say MMS can be tricky with WP7/7.5, or 7.8, I know you are not joking. I'm a tad unsure where the line between tricky and impossible is. Are you aware of a program or anything I can do to get access to the MMS settings in my HTC HD 7?

I have a dual-sim phone, and have been using both Net10 and Straight Talk on this phone for the past month (I figured I would use both for a month, and then go with the one that works the best at the end of the month). In slot 1, I have my Net10 sim (on the AT&T network), and in slot 2, I have my Straight Talk sim (also on the AT&T network). What I have noticed is that Straight Talk has consistent service, whereas Net10 does not. While my Straight Talk sim consistently has 3 or more bars, the Net 10 fluctuates between no service, and 3 bars. I know that it should not be this way, and at first I thought that it was just the phone, so I switched the slots that the sim's are in (Straight Talk was originally in slot 1, while Net10 was in slot 2). The end result was that Straight Talk still had consistent service while Net10 did not. I live in Oklahoma, and HAVE to have a phone that has service for my tornado and sever storm alerts, so I will be getting rid of my Net10 service. I do not know why Straight Talk has better service, but I know that it does. The one with no service is the Net10, the one with 3 bars is the Straight Talk. I hope this helps~!!!!snapshot_20130627_1.jpg
    What company is your lumia locked to? And does everything work?