4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eric12341
  1. Jmydgtl's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    I have a TMobile HTC 8x that I unlocked and switched to SimpleMobile. Everything works great, but the internet is running extremely slow. I downloaded the speedtest.net app and it shows that I get 0.24 Mbps download and 0.46 Mbps upload. This is still somewhat usable for basic browsing, but with this being a 4g phone I guess I expected something much faster...I think 5 to 12 Mbps or so. I am suspecting a couple things might be happening. Either the TMobile phone is not entirely compatible with the AT&T 4g service (I think this is what SimpleTalk is using) and can only get lower tiers of service on an AT&T network or I have a rogue app that consumes a ton of bandwidth without me realizing it and my service gets throttled and becomes slow like this. Since DataSense is not available on AT&T and I can't find an app that will measure my 4g usage I don't have a good way of checking if I have a rogue app. There is not a ton of information available on HTC 8x and TMobile to AT&T migration either. So I just wanted to ask if anyone here used a TMobile HTC 8x on SimpleTalk and have experienced the same issues. Also, in the absence of Data Sense what is a good way for me to measure my 4g usage? Thanks in advance for your help
  2. eric12341's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,635 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,641 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Simple mobile throttles users who aren't on the $60 plan down to 2G level speeds. Also like other services owned by Amrica Mvil/Tracfone if you're caught streaming on these networks your service will be cut. That being said you're much better off going with either T-mobile monthly 4G or a value plan.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  3. alpinestars1z's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,457 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    Simple mobile throttles users who aren't on the $60 plan down to 2G level speeds. Also like other services owned by Amrica Mvil/Tracfone if you're caught streaming on these networks your service will be cut. That being said you're much better off going with either T-mobile monthly 4G or a value plan.
    There's no $60 plan anymore, highest is now $50.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jmydgtl View Post
    I have a TMobile HTC 8x that I unlocked and switched to SimpleMobile. Everything works great, but the internet is running extremely slow. I downloaded the speedtest.net app and it shows that I get 0.24 Mbps download and 0.46 Mbps upload. This is still somewhat usable for basic browsing, but with this being a 4g phone I guess I expected something much faster...I think 5 to 12 Mbps or so. I am suspecting a couple things might be happening. Either the TMobile phone is not entirely compatible with the AT&T 4g service (I think this is what SimpleTalk is using) and can only get lower tiers of service on an AT&T network or I have a rogue app that consumes a ton of bandwidth without me realizing it and my service gets throttled and becomes slow like this. Since DataSense is not available on AT&T and I can't find an app that will measure my 4g usage I don't have a good way of checking if I have a rogue app. There is not a ton of information available on HTC 8x and TMobile to AT&T migration either. So I just wanted to ask if anyone here used a TMobile HTC 8x on SimpleTalk and have experienced the same issues. Also, in the absence of Data Sense what is a good way for me to measure my 4g usage? Thanks in advance for your help
    And Simple Mobile uses T-Mobile. What carrier were you on before?
  4. Jmydgtl's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #4  
    I was on TMobile before and my 8x is a TMobile version. So are you with SimpleMobile? What kind of speeds are you getting?
  5. alpinestars1z's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,457 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmydgtl View Post
    I was on TMobile before and my 8x is a TMobile version. So are you with SimpleMobile? What kind of speeds are you getting?
    No I'm not, but I think you should get similar speeds to T-Mobile. You must be throttled or something. Are you on the $40 plan?
  6. Jmydgtl's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #6  
    No, I am on the 45 dollar plan. Do you know at what point SimpleMobile starts throttling you?
  7. alpinestars1z's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,457 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmydgtl View Post
    No, I am on the 45 dollar plan. Do you know at what point SimpleMobile starts throttling you?
    I don't see any $45 plan, only $45 plan I see is a 2GB wireless broadband plan for USB sticks.

    But for the $40 plan I know the throttle point is any data past 250MB.

Similar Threads

  1. MMS settings for HTC8X on ATT
    By docoy in forum HTC 8X
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-03-2013, 06:07 PM
  2. Tmobile Radar on sale Nov 2nd...
    By 1jaxstate1 in forum Upcoming & Rumored Windows Phones
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-24-2011, 06:30 PM
  3. TMobile has Officially Declared War on Sprint
    By foosball in forum The "Off Topic" Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-03-2011, 11:32 PM
  4. Anyone have Tmobile data and mms on LG Quantum?
    By nekrojess in forum LG Quantum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2011, 01:16 AM
  5. Unlocked Samsung Focus on Tmobile
    By liljoepr#WP in forum Samsung Focus
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2011, 01:37 PM

Posting Permissions

";