Beware! Orange Swapables using up data!!

John Rich

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Apologies if this is a bit carrier specific for this forum!
A warning for those of you on Orange who have taken advantage of the Orange Swapables offer. I'm on Panther 26 with 750mb incl. data, using the Nokia Lumia 920. My contract includes 2 swapables. So I installed Deezer (with a lot of difficulty!-covered on another post). These Swapables are supposed to not use up your data allowance. According to the Orange website FAQ section:

I]'how much does the data cost to use my Swapables subscriptions?
Nothing – all the data you need to use your Swapables in the UK is included. Once you download the app or subscription, the use of the Swapable will not impact your monthly allowance. Please be aware that, if you use your Swapables abroad, you will be charged for the data.'[/I]

However my usage shot up as soon as I started streaming music on the Deezer app. I'm using an app called 'Call Credit' - free on the Windows Phone App Store. It's not perfect but it does show you how much data you've used and, more importantly, when it was used. This is how I can tell that it was Deezer specifically that was using the data allowance as I haven't been doing anything else that uses large amounts of data.
Searching on Google I've found that there is a bug that has been around for months affecting a few users. However they don't seem to have sorted it out yet.
Anyone else on here experiencing this?

Last edited:

Camera Chick

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm just phoning them right now for the same problem ... will update, but not hopeful it'll be solved. Read another thread (on here I think) saying that customer services sorted the problem for them. Searching for it while I'm on hold.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Guys threaten them to leave - go for options 1, 2 and 4.

Talk to guys in Mumbai. Tell them you have been unfairly charge. They are genuinely helpful bunch. They told me only 100mb is free and everything else is chargeable - is there in some small print.

I told them - the website doesn't indicate anywhere - they made my data unlimited, gave me all the charges back as credit and I have 2 swappables + unlimited data ;)

Camera Chick

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Guys threaten them to leave - go for options 1, 2 and 4.

Talk to guys in Mumbai. Tell them you have been unfairly charge. They are genuinely helpful bunch. They told me only 100mb is free and everything else is chargeable - is there in some small print.

I told them - the website doesn't indicate anywhere - they made my data unlimited, gave me all the charges back as credit and I have 2 swappables + unlimited data ;)

Hey rockstarzzz! Deezer causing me problems again, what's new eh!? Waiting on a call back tomorrow. What number do you call for options you gave? I didn't select options tonight when I spoke to the guys in India, but he tried to transfer me to another department which is closed at the weekend. I usually use my wifi at home, when I'm out and about I don't use the phone for much beyond texts or calls, so to have gone over 750mb with over a week to go of this bundle is unheard of. He tried to say it could be because I am leaving apps open when I'm away from wifi, but I don't think that would take me to this level of usage. My other concern is I've recently changed to a new tarrif due to take affect at next bill date - only 500mb but unlimited calls, only 1 swappable but that's fine (especially as the Lumia isn't compatible with most anyway). However this could cost me a fortune so need this sorted in case I need to stick with Panther and 400 mins! I checked my bill tonight and it's charging me for being over the 750 so I know that they can't have taken Deezer usage into account. Really, the mb usage part online should be split into bundle usage/swappable usage!! That, obviously would make it too user friendly. Thanks, I'll report back!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey rockstarzzz! Deezer causing me problems again, what's new eh!? Waiting on a call back tomorrow. What number do you call for options you gave? I didn't select options tonight when I spoke to the guys in India, but he tried to transfer me to another department which is closed at the weekend. I usually use my wifi at home, when I'm out and about I don't use the phone for much beyond texts or calls, so to have gone over 750mb with over a week to go of this bundle is unheard of. He tried to say it could be because I am leaving apps open when I'm away from wifi, but I don't think that would take me to this level of usage. My other concern is I've recently changed to a new tarrif due to take affect at next bill date - only 500mb but unlimited calls, only 1 swappable but that's fine (especially as the Lumia isn't compatible with most anyway). However this could cost me a fortune so need this sorted in case I need to stick with Panther and 400 mins! I checked my bill tonight and it's charging me for being over the 750 so I know that they can't have taken Deezer usage into account. Really, the mb usage part online should be split into bundle usage/swappable usage!! That, obviously would make it too user friendly. Thanks, I'll report back!

Call 150 from your phone. Then 1, 2, 4. That's for making amendments to your services or something like that.

Dispute your bill - tell them blatantly you won't pay. Wait for your bill to be generate and ask them specifically what caused that data usage. They must be able to explain you why they've charge you for data. If they can't you can definitely not pay that bill and dispute it further. Orange are notorious to say the least!

Your swappable usage shouldn't reflect in those MBs to start with! But they did charge me for 2 months and that's how I've negotiated to get unlimited everything ;)
To rub it in, I only pay ?20/month to get everything unlimited + 2 swappables :p

John Rich

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
This is still ongoing for me too! Orange have refunded me a month's rental this month but they don't seem to have a fix even after all these months. I got in touch with them via the 'Orange Helpers' Facebook page. They will ask you to sen them a PM with the details. Shame because Deezer seems really good. Crap from Orange though. And they're still advertising Swapables as not using any data!

Camera Chick

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't surprise me rockstarzzz, you sound like you'd get a good deal every time!!!

John, sounds like we've got battle on our hands here!! I'll update when i speak to them again.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't surprise me rockstarzzz, you sound like you'd get a good deal every time!!!

John, sounds like we've got battle on our hands here!! I'll update when i speak to them again.

Hahah! Nah, not always though. My initial contract was ?51!

Camera Chick

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Can't phone them as my pone just died on me, first issue I've had like this. Not happy!

Hey how did you manage to reduce a contract from ?51 to ?20!!?

Camera Chick

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Phoned 150, 1,2,4 they say I still have some of my 100mb swappable data left, though he wouldn't accept that this shouldn't be limited. I have gone over my 750 but they don't have details until my new bill date. Which is when I go down to 500 on the new Works 31 package (but I then get unlimited minutes BUT no doubt I'll be back to square 1 with Deezer just as I had it all set up). I just don't understand how it is possible. I mainly use wifi, and when I am out I don't really have a chance to browse on my phone, a quick check of FB or WPC at most. Never used 750mb in my life before. I don't close my open aps when I'm out but if I'm not actively using them could this have caused all this usage? Not looking good. What's the point in my wonderful 920 if I am scared to bloody use it?!!

EDIT - while I was out I put my phone onto Aeroplane mode, to save using any more chargeable data, tried to put it off that mode when I got home, phone died!! I had to do my first soft reset .... could I be looking at a week of soft resets as Aeroplane mode will need to be used til next bill date, and as I said above, the way I appear to have eaten through my data (though still don't see how!!!), possibly might have to resort to Aeroplane mode on a regular basis!! (oops, I can just turn off my internet ... much simpler!! Aeroplane mode turns off texting etc too.)

Last edited:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest, use your phone as normal as long as swappables go. Use Deezer like you would normally use without worrying because that 100mb crap, is just that crap. You need to let them know that it definitely says unlimited usage everywhere! You might be in for a bit of going back and forth and repeating the same thing, but then they will give up and trust me if you use words like - "Cant use what I paid for" etc. they are very sympathetic and that's how my ?51 changed to ?20 :p I did invest about 4-5 hours in total in speaking to them, but was worth it considering I save ?30 for 19 more months!

Camera Chick

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
After another 2 hour long conversations I'm at stale mate. I've gone over my data. Don't know how i managed that as i was at home using WiFi, even taking into account the signal dropping out, i just don't see how its possible. My plan is to keep my internet off for a couple of days, use deezer heavily and see if my 750 on my orange online drops in that time. Then I'll put on internet for a day and turn off WiFi - only use deezer again and check if my 750 goes down. That way I'll know if i did use my data like they said. Pain in the .... They checked my account and said that deezer is free data. They can't do much to check the totals and i was banging my head off a brick wall trying to explain myself - i think that deezer data is being taken off my 750 but not being charged when i go over if that makes sense? Time will tell. Wish me luck lol.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I do believe there is an independent ombudsman available if they keep faffing you around. Try telling them you're escalating it to them. Also, contact local media and see if they'll be willing to run a story on it. We did this when CrossCountry refused to replace my tickets after I got mugged. They then gave me an authority to travel, and all was good. Companies hate negative press coverage, it tarnishes their image. Threaten that on them if they won't help and watch their tone change!

John Rich

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I suggest you (camerachick) try installing 'Call Credit' from the marketplace:
Call Credit | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom)

This app will let you see at what times data is being used up. (unfortunately, unlike apps you can get for Android devices it doesn't tell you which apps are using the data!) For example, I only use Deezer on my way to and from work. Plus I only work part time. So it was really obvious it was Deezer that was eating into my data allowance. The amount of data used by background processes (email checking etc) doesn't normally add up to anything considerable, so unless your streaming or downloading in other apps apart from Deezer, then it's got to be Deezer that's using the data up. Really sounds like they're trying to fob you off.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
CameraChick, I REALLY feel for ya!

Not trying to rub it in at all, but yesterday I called Orange up as they've increased this prices ?1.30 per month (VAT related) effective from April 2013. I wasn't happy because to me a contract is a contract even though it clearly says they are allowed to raise the prices to a certain extent. But it's only been a few months for this new contract. So I told them how unhappy I was and how things have been awful since I joined them - gave them my Deezer example. She looked into the account, placed me on hold. Then she said she can't do anything. I requested to speak to her supervisor, who was very nice I must say. Her tone was very reassuring and after only 3 minutes of talk to the supervisor, she agree to give me one off ?30 credit on my account which will compensate (partly) on my bill for this new ?1.30 for remaining 19-ish months. You are you are dialling 150, 1, 2, 4? They are really helpful bunch out there in Mumbai!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
May try the supervisor route then, ended up speaking to Windows UK team last twice. Obviously not working!!

Oh no no no no! Never let them transfer you to WP team! They are mean! They either hate WP or they are iPhone users. They just don't do or say anything nice about WP either :(

Instead of telling them something is wrong with your phone, just tell these guys that you had a chat with WP guys, they said everything is okay with the phone, it's an issue with the service. So refuse to be transferred anywhere. If the dude can't solve it, ask for supervisor and tell the same story to supervisor. If you run with terribly bad luck, you get pushed to WP team who didn't even know that "Lumina" isn't made by HTC!

Camera Chick

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Or that deezer was available on the 920!! I find it is hard for them to understand what my problem is. I guess I'll have more info as my new month starts at midnight. Ill try my experiment and see if that sheds light on it. Had a dream about data allowance and orange last nite, not good lol!!

Camera Chick

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
John rich - I've installed the app and set it up so I'll use that too. Does the tile update, just now it's just got the little picture on it.

Apologies for highjacking your thread!! :D

Last edited:

Camera Chick

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
A day of using wifi only and my full 750 is still there .... just checked my online bill, could I really have used 1092mb of data last month in 3 weeks (34.4 of which was chargeable ?5.83)?? That would be 308mb of deezer free data, 750mb plan data, and 34.4 over and above. While I was using wifi at home and not out much (thanks to poorly kids?) Looking less likely that there is a problem with Orange. Will try putting Deezer on all day while my wifi is off, just my phone internet on. Won't use my phone for anything else for the day.

I want orange to be in the wrong here lol!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb