Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

I had been planning on jumping from AT&T to StraightTalk when our contract ends this November. $45 for unlimited everything and it uses AT&T's network anyway. But now I'm pondering taking our two Lumia 920's and jumping to T-Mobile. Their new "Un-carrier" plans are really good. For the un-informed here is a quick summary.

No contract. No phone subsidy. Unlimited calls/texts. 500MB of unthrottled data, unlimited 2G data after that (so no overage fees!!!).
    1st line $50. 2nd line $30. Lines 3-5 are $10 each. So if you had 5 lines that would be $110, or $22 per line!

You can up to 2GB for $10 extra per line, or Unlimited for $20 extra per line.

So I just wanted to have a conversation with other AT&T or T-Mobile users. How feasible is it to use my AT&T Lumia 920 on T-Mobiles network? I know the 920 lacks the 1700Mhz band, but I do live near DC where I hear they are deploying 3G for the 1900 band. So especially if there is someone in the Northern VA area that is running an AT&T WP8 on T-Mobile, I would love to hear from you.
    blackhorse6 likes this.

Global Posts
    32,246 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Moving to Carrier Discussion Lounge.

I have a Lumia 810 ( which I love.) on t-mobile USA, and I have the truly unlimited plan. All I can say is that I'm really happy with them.
    Developer

I switched from AT&T to Straight talk this January when my contract expired, everything has been pretty good until I needed to forward my number to a landline to take a telephone interview - turns out that StraightTalk doesn't support call forwarding. So I, like you, am now looking into switching (again) to the new T-Mobile plans with my AT&T Lumia 920s. I get '4G' right now on straighttalk, but I too would like to find out if I can get 3G on T-mobile as that is fast enough for my needs - how did you find out that they are deploying 3G to the 1900 band in DC? I somehow doubt they are doing that where I live (Stillwater, OK).

Thanks. Sorry, I didn't know where exactly to place the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Pal2006 View Post
    I have a Lumia 810 ( which I love.) on t-mobile USA, and I have the truly unlimited plan. All I can say is that I'm really happy with them.
    Where in the US do you live? Basically, the last anecdotal evidence I have about T-Mobile was that it had bad coverage, but the person left them back in 2007, so its outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by evilrobot View Post
    I switched from AT&T to Straight talk this January when my contract expired, everything has been pretty good until I needed to forward my number to a landline to take a telephone interview - turns out that StraightTalk doesn't support call forwarding. So I, like you, am now looking into switching (again) to the new T-Mobile plans with my AT&T Lumia 920s. I get '4G' right now on straighttalk, but I too would like to find out if I can get 3G on T-mobile as that is fast enough for my needs - how did you find out that they are deploying 3G to the 1900 band in DC? I somehow doubt they are doing that where I live (Stillwater, OK).
    There is actually a website where people can report sightings of 3G on TMobile with their 1900 band AT&T phones. But I can't find it right now!

Anyways, the most sure fire method is to just call your local T-Mobile store and ask them. I called one here and they knew right away what I was talking about and actually told me the expansion plans for the near future. T-Mobile is trying to win over AT&T customers, so I can see them expanding their 1900 band in more areas.

Edit: By the way, I didn't realize you could get "4G" with straight talk. is it the HSPA+ or LTE?
    The website is Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II) , I've been with T-mobile since November 2011 and have been quite pleased with the services and speeds I'm getting, especially for the price. But I live near Chicago so that doesn't help you out as far as service but check the coverage maps wherever you'll be and if there's coverage you should be fine.
    Thanked by:
    HeyCori likes this.
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,275 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evilrobot View Post
    Be aware that the AT&T branded Lumia 920 does not support T-Mobile's 1700 band for 4G. You will only get 2G speeds until T-Mobile refarms their towers to work on the 1900 frequency (currently a work in progress)

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/phones/ph...pecifications/

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    We have been waiting for tmobile to get the Iphone (well my wife has). Now I have to try to sale my white 920, I just wish I didn't buy the extra square trade warranty for it haha.

Global Posts
    2,090 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyCori View Post
    Be aware that the AT&T branded Lumia 920 does not support T-Mobile's 1700 band for 4G. You will only get 2G speeds until T-Mobile refarms their towers to work on the 1900 frequency (currently a work in progress)

Nokia Lumia 920 Specifications - Nokia - USA
    To be clear, it doesn't support HSPA+ on AWS (1700/2100), but it should support LTE on AWS.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013
    This should ease tour concern, but maybe not for regional issues.

I have a backup Samsung Focus Flash that is an ATT phone and use it on a line on my Tmobile contract. I now receive 3G signals on an ATT phone. The fastest its been was 5 down and 3 up
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,262 Global Posts
    Currently Straight Talk doesn't have AT&T SIM cards, only T-Mobile. They may come back in the future.

If you are in a refarmed T-Mobile area, you should be fine and will get 3G on T-Mobile.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Thinking of it , but not sute how T-Mobile's service is in my area (I moved). Also if I go with T-Mobile, I wouldn't do it through Steaight Talk. They are okay, but CS combined with some of their "limitations" can be horrid...

I am pretty sure this is the route I am going. I am just waiting for At&T to unlock my phone, a Nokia Lumia 920. I live in the DC area and will therefore get decent coverage, but more to the point, I paid for my phone in cash, so jumping to 50 dollars a month is the way to go with me. I have access to wifi at work and home, so I should be in a great position.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hengst2KSE View Post
    I am pretty sure this is the route I am going. I am just waiting for At&T to unlock my phone, a Nokia Lumia 920. I live in the DC area and will therefore get decent coverage, but more to the point, I paid for my phone in cash, so jumping to 50 dollars a month is the way to go with me. I have access to wifi at work and home, so I should be in a great position.
    My neighbor's son works at T-Mobile. T-Mobile has been re-farmed in Chicago to cover AT&T 3G data. He told me he has signed up quite a few AT&T customers that brought their own AT&T phones. He told me they get 5.0 Mbps down and 0.750 Mbps up.
    Last edited by palandri; 04-03-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    My neighbor's son tonight works at T-Mobile. T-Mobile has been re-farmed in Chicago to cover AT&T 3G data. He told me he has signed up quite a few AT&T customers that brought their own AT&T phones. He told me they get 5.0 Mbps down and 0.750 Mbps up.
    I hope this spreads to the rest of Illinois.

Global Posts
    2,850 Global Posts
    One question comes to mind, now that Tmo has the "almighty" iphone will they continue to refarm their network since that was the reason for it in the first place?
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,275 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    One question comes to mind, now that Tmo has the "almighty" iphone will they continue to refarm their network since that was the reason for it in the first place?
    That's an interesting question. T-Mobile's spectrum deal with AT&T only lasts 7 years, then who knows after that. T-Mobile has made significant progress in several key areas. You can see from the map where the refarming has taken place.

Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)

The deal happened at the end of 2011, so they still have another 6 years or so to refarm their towers. But again, what's going to happen when the deal expires? Presumably, AT&T doesn't want T-Mobile bumming their network and that 4G phone could drop down to Edge once the deal expires. Plus, the deal isn't nationwide. There are limits.

T-Mobile gets 7-year roaming deal, AWS spectrum as part of AT&T/T-Mobile breakup fee - FierceWireless
    AT&T will give T-Mobile a seven-year UMTS roaming agreement that will allow T-Mobile to expand its coverage to 280 million POPs from 230 million today. T-Mobile will also get AWS spectrum from AT&T in 128 market areas, including in 12 of the top 20 markets in the United States: Atlanta, Boston, Baltimore, Dallas, Denver Houston, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle and Washington, D.C.
    It just seems like if you don't live in a key area then you're screwed and after seven years you're screwed regardless.
    I'm on mobile and fot an 8x and already had a focus flash. I live in Indiana and my ATT phone gets 3G speeds. I always preferred mobile over att for simple reasons. Tmobiles 3G on newer phones are just as fast if not slightly slower than LTE from other companies.

I've always managed around 15 down and about 5-6 up using mobile.

ATT speeds are ridiculously slow in this area and its god send that mobile has coverage here.

Global Posts
    2,090 Global Posts
    Yes, as long as they own enough spectrum in that area. They can't really put up their LTE network unless they do the refarm first.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx

Global Posts
    2,850 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinestars1z View Post
    Yes, as long as they own enough spectrum in that area. They can't really put up their LTE network unless they do the refarm first.
    Thanks, didn't know it tied into their LTE rollout as well. That'll help with my imported device.
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Global Posts
    2,090 Global Posts
    Thanks, didn't know it tied into their LTE rollout as well. That'll help with my imported device.
    Yes, because right now their AWS (1700/2100) spectrum (in places that haven't been refarmed yet) is all used up by their 4G HSPA+ network. If they don't free some of that AWS spectrum up, then they have no extra spectrum to use for LTE. So they move some of that HSPA+ network (usually half of the capacity) over to their PCS (1900) spectrum. They make space on the PCS spectrum by reducing the amount of spectrum 2G uses, since less and less people are using 2G only phones.

tmobile-refarm-big.jpg

A chart if that helps. "Today" on this chart was near the beginning of 2012.

If the MetroPCS merger gains shareholder approval, it'll help things by giving T-Mobile more spectrum (and in turn more capacity) to work with.
    Thanked by:
    jmajid 
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    My neighbor's son works at T-Mobile. T-Mobile has been re-farmed in Chicago to cover AT&T 3G data. He told me he has signed up quite a few AT&T customers that brought their own AT&T phones. He told me they get 5.0 Mbps down and 0.750 Mbps up.
    Remember that the phone has to be unlock to work in T-mobile network, I found this video of an ATT unlock phone running on T-mobile network and the speed it gets is not 3G . The speed it gets is HSPA+ (AKA 4G) . All depends of the area where you live.You have to google what markets are refarmed.

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,262 Global Posts
    I just switch my wife and I over to T-Mobile. We're in Chicago:

with a pentaband phone I am getting 11680 down and 1164 up
    with a quad band phone I am getting 7299 down and 689 up
    Thanked by:
    HeyCori and alpinestars1z like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast