Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By HeyCori
  • 1 Post By alpinestars1z
  • 2 Post By Laura Knotek
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,278 Global Posts
    Here are the plan and price details

It will probably ask for you zip but you should be able to click out of it. If not then enter the zip code for one of the approved markets (77003 works).
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    2,092 Global Posts
    I originally thought the 2GB plan was going to be $50 (as rumored) but it's $55. =/ $10 more than Straight Talk (though ST AT&T SIMs are no longer available). I also wonder if Aio will have their own refill instead of using GoPhone refills.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013

Global Posts
    2,883 Global Posts
    "High speed access with download speeds up to a maximum of 4 Mbps". No thanks.

Global Posts
    2,092 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    "High speed access with download speeds up to a maximum of 4 Mbps". No thanks.
    I wonder if they actually limit it to 4 Mbps, or if that's just what they expect their network to provide. On Straight Talk I've hit as high as 7 Mbps, but I average 3-6 Mbps. It actually depends on signal. HSPA gets slower as signal strength decreases. LTE I think is better in this regard.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Banned

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    Another piece of evidence where Microsoft is more focused on the GSM side on a CDMA majority country... Smh

Global Posts
    2,092 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmdj31675 View Post
    Another piece of evidence where Microsoft is more focused on the GSM side on a CDMA majority country... Smh
    How so? It's not like Microsoft is the hardware manufacturer.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    32,436 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    What does this have to do with Microsoft?

Microsoft does not own this carrier. AT&T does. Windows Phones are not the only devices that can be used on the carrier's network.
    palandri and eric12341 like this.

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I actually think that its pretty evenly split in this country between gsm and cdma.
    Banned

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinestars1z View Post
    How so? It's not like Microsoft is the hardware manufacturer.
    But they are (Microsoft) the ones coding Windows Phone. Making CDMA a stepchild where is much stronger in terms of share of lines over GSM has been a problem. No presence on the CDMA prepaid services, and barely any support unless you agree to take on broken China Mobile based CDMA coded devices is very obvious.

Pattern is clear whether they want to admit it or not.
    But they are (Microsoft) the ones coding Windows Phone. Making CDMA a stepchild where is much stronger in terms of share of lines over GSM has been a problem. No presence on the CDMA prepaid services, and barely any support unless you agree to take on broken China Mobile based CDMA coded devices is very obvious.

Pattern is clear whether they want to admit it or not.
    Its because most of the world uses GSM. America is weird, having different carriers use different bands, frequencies, and being split in the middle with 2 technologies. CDMA, I believe, is able to be spread out farther, with fewer towers in between from my understanding, explaining Verizon's signal (What, you thought they were better because they had more towers?), but its also a more expensive technology, as far as I understand. GSM is more common in the rest of the world.

Basically, if Microsoft is focusing more on GSM, its because that's where most of the world is. Granted they could boost their User % in the US by putting more focus on CDMA, but that would require them to focus less on GSM, thus hurting their user % in most of the world (which in some countries they have up towards 30% user share).

Though, Microsoft isn't the one doing this. Microsoft programmed Windows Phone, but that has nothing to do with CDMA or GSM. That's a firmware thing, which falls to OEMs. Meaning Nokia and the likes are focusing less on CDMA. Though my explanation still stands. Just replace "Microsoft" with your WP OEM of choice.

Here is more explanation on gsm vs cdma: Giz Explains: What's the Difference between GSM and CDMA?

CDMA is and has been basically trying to remove GSM (global standard for mobile communications) and its successors from the throne for years, ever since it came out, and its so big in the US due to the advantages it once had over GSM (but is no longer relevant with gsm's successor's technology.). Now days, CDMA doesn't have much advantage anymore (except in rural, less advanced communities that are a bit behind in the world), but it has such a foothold from those early days that its hard to get rid of that easily.

[HR][/HR]

Also, Lumia 620 is on Aio. around $200 I believe.