Moving from UK to Germany - advice on carrier / contract needed.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I am currently in the UK & moving to Frankfurt area within the next month and after some advice.

I have a sim free L920 which I am using a Three sim in on a ?14.50 a month contract which includes unlimited data, 3000 texts and 2000 minutes to any network.

Looking at German tariffs online they seem to be as UK were a few years ago with inclusive minutes & texts only to certain networks, and also the data speed appears to reduce after a certain MB amount.

I am tempted by the L925 on T-Mobile DE but it's not easy for me to make out the details of the contracts done anyone have any advice?

I would like unlimited data and inclusive texts to any network without massive charges for texting UK, I can deal with a smaller number of inclusive minutes.

Thanks
Dubs.

srslykev

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I'd definitely go for Deutsche Telekom (=T-Mobile) or Vodafone. With these you'll have the least connectivity issues. But as long as you stay in Frankfurt, that shouldn't be a problem anyway. Unfortunately, it is rather confusing because the offers change on an almost weekly basis.
Since it's not clear whether (or rather: when) the Lumia 925 comes to Telekom I'd look for a contract without a phone and stick to the L920. As far as Telekom is concerned you can always upgrade the contract within the 2 years it runs.
I don't know how well you speak German but you should take a look at this: Handytarife Vergleich | Telekom
These are "special" contracts which are cheaper than the regular ones. Right now there seems to be a huge sale on the all inclusive offer. It's just 33,20? and includes unlimited texting and phoning to any German carrier and 500MB of high speed surfing (if you exceed that limitation you'll be reduced to 64 KBit/s). But you can use Telekom's hotspots for free, which are quite common.
As far as I know you'd be charged 0,19? for each text sent to the UK since UK carriers are not included in the unlimited texts.

So it is quite difficult to find the best contract but Deutsche Telekom arranges them the most clearly and while it may not be the cheapest carrier it really offers the best service.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info, I have been reviewing these tariffs and will probably sign up on Monday as soon as I have a German bank account :)

srslykev

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday, I received a Newsletter claiming there were new tarifs. So if you were interested in the "Special" contract, I'm afraid, it's not available anymore.
But the new ones are much better structured and once you select "ohne Smartphone 20% g?nstiger" you can now see all they have to offer. Plus, you can add additional options "Zubuchoptionen" in order to add more inclusive data for a monthly fee.

atvedge

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Guys,

I'm in a similar situation. I'm moving from the US to Germany, and plan to be there for a few years. Does anyone know if I can use my Lumia 928 on Deutsche Telekom? I won't be in Germany until probably July at the earliest. If they end up with the 925 by then, I'd just grab that if I had to, but it would be nice to keep using my 928 and not have to buy a new phone.

I'm using IE's translator function to browse the site, and it seems to work pretty well so far, but I haven't really seen anything about the frequency bands that are used.

srslykev

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3