Today reminds me why I don't do contracts for wireless...

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
So I bought the Lumia 920 on the first day or 2 of it being available in AT&T stores (bought it from an actual AT&T owned store and been using it on Straight Talk). I decided to try and get it unlocked today. I first called their regular support. Even though they do their best to make it so you can't talk to support without an account, I eventually got through. They said that I has to use their website to unlock the phone and gave me the url. I went to the site and entered the information. The website then told me that I had to fax in the receipt to a certain number. Seriously, still using fax??? Anyways, I don't have the receipt anymore so it was a no go. I then tried calling 7 or so local AT&T stores to see if they had a work-around. Not a single store picked up their phones.

So I then called their International Support. Their rep told me that they do not unlock phones for people without a contract. I then told them that was bull and I wanted a supervisor. The supervisor told me that the rep would have been correct up to about June 10th. They switched their policy then to allow it. So apparently, in their world, unlocking phones for non-customers is brand spankin' new. Anyways, the supervisor went on to tell me that I had to go through the same website the other person told me about. I explained what happened when I tried before and she said that she needs to transfer me to International Technical Support (apparently technical and regular support can't talk to each other). So I get on the phone with another person. I explained the situation to him and within 2 minutes, he gave me the unlock code. He didn't even ask if it was for travel or anything. I then asked if I could have a direct number to International Tech Support incase I need help again. He said they don't have a direct line and gave me a different number that belongs to God knows who. At that point, I just thanked him and hung up. Hopefully the code works and I don't have to attempt to reach them again.

What bugs me about this is that AT&T is trying every trick in the book to keep you from talking to a human. Then, they are trying every trick in the book to keep you from unlocking an eligible phone. Then they try to make it as hard as possible to reach the people that can really help. To me (and most reasonable people), it doesn't matter that I don't have service with them. I am still a customer considering I bought the phone from their store and using a service provider that pays AT&T to use their network.

Obviously this is a story told a thousand times. I get I am not a special case. Some people get what they need quick from the companies but way to many people have to go through what I do.

This is why I still don't do contracts with wireless carriers (original reason was Sprint stole money from my bank account and then said they didn't even though I could prove it.)

Maybe I am just spoiled with Amazon (full disclosure, I am an employee of them). Any time I have ANY issue, it is solved immediately, without question and by someone who can speak good English. If only more companies were like that.

My rant is over and I feel better. Where is my beer...

EDIT: This is officially my 920th post on WPCentral!

hengst2404

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Wow, I am so happy I didn't have the same experience as you. Maybe it depends on who you call and whether they answer? I did the same thing, but my phone was under contract at AT&T. needless to say it was a quick process. I am guessing in the US nothing will be made easy until the government forces them to play nice. I have a Tivo DVR that I use and it is amazing how hard the cable companies make it to use and set up, since they want you to use their stuff.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12