Early upgrade plans: Best of the worst

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
The AT&T Next is terrible. I am a AT&T customer and have been for about 14 years but I will never go to that plan as it is now. I upgrade a lot but would rather sell my old phone and use the upgrades I have on the four lines in my plan.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
For some, it may be worth it. For others, not so much. What bothers me about most of the detractors are the comments about "paying twice." I think most people forget that AT&T always has the same rate plan, regardless of BYOD, on contract or full retail.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
For some, it may be worth it. For others, not so much. What bothers me about most of the detractors are the comments about "paying twice." I think most people forget that AT&T always has the same rate plan, regardless of BYOD, on contract or full retail.

The Verge article sums it up nicely... there is no financially viable path to justify the upgrade plan. When a full-price device is $650 or less, there's no path that justifies the $2400+ it takes to get that cheaper upgrade.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The Verge article sums it up nicely... there is no financially viable path to justify the upgrade plan. When a full-price device is $650 or less, there's no path that justifies the $2400+ it takes to get that cheaper upgrade.

If you pay full retail on AT&T, you do NOT get a discounted plan rate, so how, exactly are you spending more, other than not having a phone you can try to sell for some unknown value on eBay?

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm not going to rewrite what Verge has already explained so clearly.

I read the article, as well as the others. It doesn't change the fact they ignore that T-Mo is the ONLY major carrier that has a different pricing tier for non-subsidized phones. IOW, with AT&T or VZW, you are "paying twice" over two years, UNLESS your device is subsidized.

The only real difference here is that you may not wind up with a device to sell on the used market.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes