AIO Wireless (ATT&T Prepaid) now live.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I just switched to AIO from Straight Talk. What made me switch? I called to get my data usage. First rep couldn't see anything and had to transfer me. The second rep had no information (Trac-Fone???) and transferred me again. Third rep stated they can't see that information at all. I lost my mind. Pissed me off to no end. Plus, no LTE. So, I'm on AIO and for the first time, the LTE icon popped up!!! And my speed test in the store was 14 MBps. Yeah, that's pretty sweet. Plus, they have an app for Windows Phone. Nice touch. I'm on the $55 plan and that's after taxes. just a few dollars upgrade from ST. Not gonna complain about that for better service. I think I'll like this better than ST. Now, to switch over the fiance.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I bit the bullet last night and ordered AIO SIM cards for my wife and I to use our 920s on the $40 plan. We're both on WiFi so much that it made sense and will cut our bill in half.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
oh puh-lease...you have unlimited data on straight talk so no need to know your usage...

...oh and welcome to two weeks ago. I have LTE on straight talk.....for $36 a month

Trip the daily meter over 100 megs and you'll see just how "unlimited" that data can be. Comcast was out one day and I had to d/l a large file so I tethered with a Pre3 I had at the time. Bam! I was enjoying EDGE speeds the rest of the month. Not because I tethered since the freeTether app disguises the NAI, but because of "excessive bandwidth usage" that was "affecting the system and causing inconvenience for our other subscribers". Can you say bananas? Bananas.

Last edited by a moderator:

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
That is a myth. I go over a 100 megs every day. I burn though a 100 megs doing speed tests just showing people my 20Mb/s LTE speeds.

I have no doubt that your experience with Straight Talk is 100% accurate.

When reading other mobile forums, I still see a lot of issues posted about Straight Talk throttling and account cancelling. Now are all these reports bogus? I am sure some are, but there are just too many of them to all be bogus, like this: Straight Talk Users Sue Walmart And TracFone Over Throttling Of Unlimited Data Plans . Here's my opinion, and I may be wrong, I think throttling is a regional issue. I think if you are in an area where there is high data usage, they monitor data usage closer. If you live in an area where there is low data usage, they could care less if you use 2GB, 5GB or 10GB. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
oh puh-lease...you have unlimited data on straight talk so no need to know your usage...

...oh and welcome to two weeks ago. I have LTE on straight talk.....for $36 a month

I want to know usage because yes, they WILL throttle you even though their lousy customer service reps state that they won't. Also, I was checking my data usage because I wanted to know as I had an interest. The fact that I went through 3 people and NONE of them had a clue or a way to see it bugs me. The fact that there's no way to check it myself bugs me. I honestly don't mind paying a little extra for better customer service when needed, a user friendly website, and even an app (on Windows Phone no less. Shocking, right), that I can use that does provide me with that information.

Straight Talk has price going for it. That's it. Sometimes, you really do get what you pay for, and that's fine for some people. Me? I have expectations and if I pay a few dollars more to get it, so be it. At least I now have that information available to me and even if I have to call in, I get to talk to pleasant people, not those idiots down in Miami.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
no they don't throttle you. they give you a list of things you can't do and if you do them they cut you off. It is all in the ToS.

I haven't read their TOS, but I gather from what your saying is if you stream movies, that's in the TOS as something you can't do, so they cut you off? Correct?

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
An update to my earlier post:

My Aio sim arrived, and I activated it and put it in my unlocked Lumia 620. Everything is working fine, and my account shows the $40/mo. plan I had signed up for. So apparently you can use the $40/mo. plan (which on their web site says is for basic and feature phones only) with a BYOD smartphone. Whether this is a goof on their end that they'll eventually catch remains to be seen. I couldn't find anything on their web site that said you can use the $40 plan with a BYOD smartphone, so I'm not sure if this is really allowed or not. I dare not ask them though. It's working for me, so I'll just keep my mouth shut. ;)

I took my 620 for a walk around my middle-of-nowhere neighborhood this afternoon, and my data connection speed showed either H or H+ depending on where I was. So much better than T-Mobile where I got only Edge or no data connection at all. I ran data speed tests at various spots along my walk and data speed ranged from 1.3 Mbps to 4.45 Mbps, assuming these tests are accurate. I tried opening several apps (e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, WPCentral) and everything loaded quickly. No more "having trouble connecting to data" messages like I use to get on T-Mo. I'm happy with Aio so far. Hopefully, they'll add video voicemail to Windows Phone soon.

Just to be fair, the reason you got Edge speeds on T-Mobile was that the unlocked 620 doesn't have the right frequencies for T-Mobile. Same with the unlocked Rogers phone. While I freely admit that T-Mobile does not have the same coverage of AT&T, it isn't fair to compare that coverage using a phone that doesn't support the T-Mobile 3G frequencies.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Just to be fair, the reason you got Edge speeds on T-Mobile was that the unlocked 620 doesn't have the right frequencies for T-Mobile. Same with the unlocked Rogers phone. While I freely admit that T-Mobile does not have the same coverage of AT&T, it isn't fair to compare that coverage using a phone that doesn't support the T-Mobile 3G frequencies.

If it's in a re-farmed area, it does have the correct HSPA frequency to work on T-Mobile. Remember, death & taxes are the only absolutes.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
no they don't throttle you. they give you a list of things you can't do and if you do them they cut you off. It is all in the ToS.

Nope, no throttling here. Their system just gets overloaded after 2.5 GBs and it falls back to EDGE. Amazingly, it recovers after you pay them for a new month's worth of service.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3