Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By rdubmu
  • 1 Post By fatclue_98
  • 1 Post By inteller

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    OK. The Amber/AT&T fiasco has frosted my shorts enough to cause me to stop shoving cupcakes down my throat long enough to exercise my rights by madly typing this message on this forum.

Anyway, when AT&T misses Nokia's drop-dead date of "the end of September," I'd like to write various people and propose breaking up the telecom industry so this kind of thing stops and the U.S. can climb out of the Third World of Telecommunications status that we've dug ourselves into. So, here's my proposed legislation:

Die, AT&T. Die!

Oh. Sorry about that. I have no idea where that came from. Seriously, though:

1. No telecommunication company with a presence or customers in more than one State shall provide any products or services directly to the consumer. They shall be restricted to maintaining and operating their long-haul telecommunications backbone.

2. Each long-haul telecommunication company shall maintain and operate their backbone to be interoperable with all the others. Some non-governmental Standards Board that must exist out there somewhere will determine which technologies and frequencies will be used and, by gum, the telecommunications companies will implement those standards toot-suite.

3. Each telecommunication company shall encrypt all traffic entering their system and decrypt it as it leaves it. Some other non-governmental Standards Board shall provide the encryption software the telecommunications companies shall use and shall confirm that the NSA, DEA, and other commie fish-poops haven't bastardized the algorithms.

4. Only companies with a presence and customers in a single State shall provide the telecommunication linkage between the consumer and the long-haul telecommunications companies. The States shall ensure that at least three such companies service every location in their demesne. As with the long-haul telecommunications providers, each single-State telecommunications company shall ensure that any telecommunications services provided must follow the industry standards required by those boards mentioned, above, and shall be interoperable across all providers.

5. No telecommunications company shall sell, lease, or require the equipment necessary to interface with their systems. Specifically (though not exhaustively), they shall not provide phones, modems, routers, gateways, cryptographic or other equipment to the consumer. Consumers will provide their own equipment by buying it on their own with their own darn money and not have the true costs hidden amongst the telecommunications charges.

6. No telecommunications company shall require any kind of long-term contract to access their systems. If the telecommunications companies require ANY contract at all, the consumer shall be able to cancel it immediately at any time that the telecommunications company gets too big for its britches and arbitrarily changes the contract. The telecommunications companies shall pro-rate any charge to cover charges only up to the cancellation date. No telecommunication company shall charge any kind of connection fee or disconnection fee.

7. Only the company/entity providing the operating system for any telecommunications equipment shall provide official updates to that software and no company, no where, no how, shall interfere with those updates. No mere provider of the pipes shall have any say-so on the release of those updates. Ditto for the equipment manufacturers (unless they happen to provide the operating system as well). However, no equipment producer shall require the use of any particular operating system or version.

So, what do you think? Remember, bad words are frowned upon.
    Last edited by David Lessnau; 09-23-2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Added paragraph numbers. Added "cryptographic" to paragraph 5 to ensure cable companies don't try to squeeze out TiVo.

Too many regulations that would result in degraded experience for the end user. We have 2-4 solid choices depending where you live, should be enough for competition.

Global Posts
    2,574 Global Posts
    you just don't get it.

Lol, this funny. All this over a month late update. Imagine being an Android user.

Global Posts
    32,916 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by spaulagain View Post
    Lol, this funny. All this over a month late update. Imagine being an Android user.
    AT&T was no different when I used BlackBerry. I usually installed a new BBOS from a European carrier such as Vodafone, since they got a new OS faster. By the time AT&T got a particular OS, Vodafone would usually have a newer one.
    I think it would be horrible to break them up. We have had the best service across all carriers. The networks are getting better. I remember a few years ago. At&t wireless was the worst in the seattle area. Now At&t (Merger between Cingular and At&t Wireless) is among the best.

T-Mobile and the prepaid companies can do enough disruption that it impacts the main carriers. For example: Next. Then you see Verizon, At&t and now sprint reacting with their own plans.
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    2,717 Global Posts
    I think the only people who have any right to complain about a carrier's update policy are those who pay for their phones up front, and in full. Secondly, if you wish to be free of any carrier's shenanigans, buy it factory unlocked straight from the OEM.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    2,574 Global Posts
    That is simply not a viable option in the US for the reasons already given.
    metalchick719 likes this.

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spaulagain View Post
    Actually, I WAS thinking of Android users when I wrote that. I was surprised when I couldn't find similar stuff originating from that community. About the only relevant stuff (break-up-wise, not Android-wise) I found was this somewhat old article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/28/op...tels.html?_r=0
    Last edited by David Lessnau; 09-23-2013 at 10:51 AM.