Unlocking Phones?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Where can you go to get Genuine unlock codes for a phone when the carrier won't do it for you? (Particularly the big Pink T)
Do the listings on ebay work?

pipe7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
A safe choice would be cellunlocker.net. Have used them a couple times, and only read good times about them. Very reputable.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Moved to appropriate forum...

As per this advice: http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/292973-who-should-post-ask-question-forum.html WC members are free to post in all areas of the board. Please use Ask a Question only for time critical help issues that affect the immediate functionality of your device.

Most carriers will not unlock until any remaining balance on the phone is paid off. If the phone gets unlocked by a 3rd party service and then you take it to another carrier and never pay the balance... In approximately 3 months the phone will be black listed and no carrier can service it for six more months...

I'm not saying that is what you will do bo_woods. Just putting it out there for future readers of this thread.

Have you tried telling T-Mo that you will be traveling internationally and want to use a local SIM? That you understand their service includes free data and text while traveling in over 150 countries, but you will need a lot of voice while there and would prefer a local SIM....

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

As per this advice: http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/292973-who-should-post-ask-question-forum.html WC members are free to post in all areas of the board. Please use Ask a Question only for time critical help issues that affect the immediate functionality of your device.

Most carriers will not unlock until any remaining balance on the phone is paid off. If the phone gets unlocked by a 3rd party service and then you take it to another carrier and never pay the balance... In approximately 3 months the phone will be black listed and no carrier can service it for six more months...

I'm not saying that is what you will do bo_woods. Just putting it out there for future readers of this thread.

Have you tried telling T-Mo that you will be traveling internationally and want to use a local SIM? That you understand their service includes free data and text while traveling in over 150 countries, but you will need a lot of voice while there and would prefer a local SIM....

I needed to know this because I wanted to buy a T-Mobile L925(the black at&t one is so boring Imo), and then unlock it for use on Cricket, but I just went with a different phone so( L928 ),so this should be good for future reference, thanks!

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to get some licked att iPhones off eBay and wondered if they can be unlocked considering att loosened it unlock policy and that the imei is clean ? Anyone ?

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to get some licked att iPhones off eBay and wondered if they can be unlocked considering att loosened it unlock policy and that the imei is clean ? Anyone ?
I haven't got the link offhand, but if I were you I go to ATT.com and read the specific rules about unlocking. Often only part of the FAQs are shown when someone lists them in a reply. 😊

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If someone is still paying for the phone on their ATT service or it is listed as being on that service and a non-ATT mobility user asks for an unlock, it is denied and will be until the phone is marked paid in full and taken off that service. If the "owner" keeps making payments the IMEI is not blacklisted.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...tt.com%2Fdeviceunlock%2F%23%2F&token=C9gqSMbD

That being said, I've unlocked 4 phones from them this year.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Your really better off going to your carrier to unlock it for you as like you could be running the phone some day and it could turn itself off and be IMEI deactivated. You don't want to be giving out lots of money for a phone that can be deadlocked.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Your really better off going to your carrier to unlock it for you as like you could be running the phone some day and it could turn itself off and be IMEI deactivated. You don't want to be giving out lots of money for a phone that can be deadlocked.

What? 😁 that's crazy. It won't happen.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
What? 😁 that's crazy. It won't happen.

Yes it does happen. Go to google and you will see. I have experienced this with my friends phone, he owed his carrier money, spent ?60 ($67) to unlock it popped in his new carrier sim all things were great for a month. When he went to use his phone it was shut off. He thought it was his battery, went to charge didn't turn on, bought new battery didn't work, bought new charger didnt work. Went to his new carrier and they said it looked like the IMEI had been blacklisted. So yes it does happen!! 😅

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes, IMEI's will get blacklisted if they have been reported stolen in any way, including a carrier reporting it not being paid for by a customer. Could also be the IMEI was caught being "duplicated" by a drug dealer. That can happen as well, but not as common as being blacklisted for non-payment on a phone.

A carrier can and will make a phone useless if it isn't paid off.

Tip: Always buy a phone from a reputable source only and, if it is used, know it's history on the network as much as possible as far as "paid" status and all.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

Local SIM is "on average" 16 cents a min ( 36 country experience and averaging in the cost of the SIM) TM is 20 cents with their plan AND free data ? not really unless you consider 2G free data worth anything more than use of maps, for that it's useful but it won't connect you to the internet that's for sure. If you want 4G you have to buy a data PLAN from a local carrier. I just experienced this TM lie in the Philippines, Guam and Japan.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think you have to look at the "host networks" and their compatibility with your phone.

I was 32 days in Italy and using the T-Mo free data gave me excellent results with H+ and good coverage everywhere. YMMV.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro