What Do You Want In a W10M Device?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you check up on WhartonBrooks and their upcoming Cerulean brand, they seem to want feedback on specs and design for new phones.

I'm sure they have one or more models already in the final stages as they are promising a release of hardware this Fall (2016).

But if they want input, I know the WC community has plenty.

What is your dream device? What SoC? Do you want rugged? Sleek? What type of screen? What size? Do you want a great camera? Do you want a gaming beast? High, mid or budget range? What do you need in a device? What floats your boat?

Share with us below.

Last edited:

Djalmar

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Rugged, various sizes, great camera, but all that is meaningless if there is no apps backing all that, Microsoft should work hard on that

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I'd say high mid-range or high end.
  • Qualcomm SnapDragon 625
  • Continuum
  • 2-3 GB RAM
  • 5 - 5.5 inch AMOLED screen
  • 15 MP rear camera, 5MP front facing camera
  • Fingerprint/iris scanner
  • USB Type C
  • Unique design

Horvath Gyorgy1

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
Maybe there is also a generation gap but past my 50th birthday I don't need too many apps and am quite satisfied with what MS is offering for a W10 mobile.
Also, I might be wrong but at least in Hungary I see mostly elderly people using WP. But this is a subjective observation, not a statistically confirmed one.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd say high mid-range or high end.
  • Qualcomm SnapDragon 625
  • Continuum
  • 2-3 GB RAM
  • 5 - 5.5 inch AMOLED screen
  • 15 MP rear camera, 5MP front facing camera
  • Fingerprint/iris scanner
  • USB Type C
  • Unique design

You know, I could have written that exact same thing...

Just a couple differences.
  • I'm a confirmed IPS LCD fan. 1920x1080 on a 5.5" display yields about 400ppi and that would look sharp without slurping battery. License ClearBlack from Microsoft, others have done it (Coship).
  • Quality lens: strike a deal with Carl Zeiss. They need a new phone OEM, get them onboard. True 16:9 sensor. License PureView from Microsoft. It's not always the megapixels, it's how you use them. 12 -16 MP is fine if it is tuned. They need to write, support and update camera firmware. Maybe a dedicated in-house camera app.
  • 3500 mAh battery for endurance.
Other than that, I agree. I don't need a "Galaxy/iPhone slayer." I need a solid all around that delivers great features. Continuum with 3GB RAM on a 625 SoC suits me fine. I could do a LOT with a device like that.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
You know, I could have written that exact same thing...

Just a couple differences.
  • I'm a confirmed IPS LCD fan. 1920x1080 on a 5.5" display yields about 400ppi and that would look sharp without slurping battery. License ClearBlack from Microsoft, others have done it (Coship).
  • Quality lens: strike a deal with Carl Zeiss. They need a new phone OEM, get them onboard. True 16:9 sensor. License PureView from Microsoft. It's not always the megapixels, it's how you use them. 12 -16 MP is fine if it is tuned. They need to write, support and update camera firmware. Maybe a dedicated in-house camera app.
  • 3500 mAh battery for endurance.
Other than that, I agree. I don't need a "Galaxy/iPhone slayer." I need a solid all around that delivers great features. Continuum with 3GB RAM on a 625 SoC suits me fine. I could do a LOT with a device like that.
Whoops, forgot the battery, but I do prefer 3000+ mAh batteries too :evil: I am okay IPS LCD so I have nothing against that too :p
And I think that could be a Galaxy/iPhone slayer if it was marketed and priced properly.

Freedy36

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
well as for me, MS10 os has always been productivity oriented.. am not into gaming that much but for the sake of continuum that is getting better, a good processor and GPU should be under the hood. Again unlike android guys, wp should not be about the spec sheet but daily adequate performance. we dont need a 6gb ram in a smartphone considering the os runs perfectly on a 1 gb ram. Again for the sake of continuum I guess 3-4 gigs is just enough. What we seriously need though is good hadware. This is the one thing pulling us back. I wont complain about the apps as things are getting around well and plus we have a great browser that offers great alternative to some of the apps.
Just do a great camera and we've come to learn that huge pixel count is not always the way, 13 mp not bad, 64 bit processor 610/617snapd, storage not less than 32 with option for expansion. Just that

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I would like a phone that:
- takes "phenomenal" Pictures and Videos, with "tap to focus, tap to shoot" mode for photos.
- gives me immediate access to all of my: OneNote notebook/pages; Office files & documents; photos.
- is compatible to all other devices (e.g. home security/automation, automotive automation, public automation, automated services of all kinds)
- excellent viewing, in sunlight.
- waterproof.
- durable, but attractive.
- secure.
- reliable.
- quick changing batteries.
- quick access buttons on case, with "pin to button 1..2...3" menu.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So... Everybody is at the intersection of affordability and Continuum?

How about a budget device? A gee-wiz Camera Phone? A Gaming Monster?

How about a solid value? Something that is an upgrade to the Lumia 5xx and 6xx series. Heck, even a small bump up over 830.

I don't think we've ever seen a Snapdragon 415 device on this platform. It opens up a lot of potential.
  • Snapdragon 415 (1.4 GHz Octa-Core w/ Adreno 405, 64 bit, Coretex A53)
  • 4.7" IPS LCD, 720 x 1280 pixels, (approx. 312ppi), ClearBlack, Gorilla Glass 3, 2.5d
  • 16 GB internal storage , 2 GB RAM
  • microSD UHS-I up to 256 GB
  • LTE cat4 (150/50) and don't stint on the bands, make this a world phone in a single variant
  • True Dual SIM, ditch the Adaptive Tray which forces a choice between 2 SIMs or 1 SIM + SD
  • Rear Camera: 10 MP, f/2.2, 26mm, Carl Zeiss optics, OIS, autofocus, dual LED flash (dual tone), 1/3.4" sensor size, PureView technology, True 16:9 sensor, Backside-illuminated image sensor, 10 cm minimum focus, 1080p@30fps, stereo sound rec
  • Front Camera: 5 MP wide angle, f/2.2, 1080p video
  • Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, dual-band, DLNA, hotspot
  • Bluetooth v4.1, A2DP, LE
  • NFC
  • Qi Wireless Charging
  • microUSB v2.0, Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 (If it is possible to enable USB OTG do it)
  • FM radio
  • Accelerometer, Gyro, Proximity, Compass, SensorCore
  • Removable back and 2500 mAh battery
Could be a hero phone for the platform if it is priced competitively. A standout in the Mid Range.

Ntei

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
ips 1080p 4,7 screen
Snapdragon 6**, quad core
2gb ram
3000mah and up removable + a second non removable mini battery ~200mah for antitheft purpose
Good cameras like the the 950 (slow motion capable) but I could do with 12 and 3 mp for reduced cost + xenon flash
32gb memory + dedicated card slot
2 4g sims cat4
Water resistant
Cool design like the 830 and steady like the s7 edge
Finger tip scanner

Last edited:

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Everything the 950 XL has, even the dual SIM

PLUS

Battery life like the 1520
Better sound (speaker and in-call)
Fingerprint scanner
Less prone to running hot
Case that doesn't creak
Buttons that don't have sharp edges

Well, that, and apps apps apps. :D

mlbrowninsc

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I like the 950 xl but would really like the finger print scanner added to it. Really miss the scanner integration found in ios.

Sent from mTalk

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I could spin these out all day...

Budget Device:
  • Snapdragon 212 (Quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A7 with Adreno 304) or Next Gen 2xx when available
  • 16GB internal Storage, 1GB RAM
  • Dual SIM Adaptive Tray, microSIM + nanoSIM or microSIM + microSD
  • microSD UHS-I up to 256 GB
  • LTE cat4, open up that GSM/LTE radio (world phone in one variant is the way to go)
  • 4.5" IPS LCD, 640 x 1136 pixels, (approx. 290ppi), ClearBlack, Dragontrail Glass
  • Rear Camera: 8 MP, f/2.2, 28mm, autofocus, LED flash, 1/4" sensor size, 1080p@30fps, rear mic for audio recording
  • Front Camera: 3MP wide angle, f/2.4, 720p@30fps
  • Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, dual-band, DLNA, hotspot
  • Bluetooth v4.1, A2DP, LE
  • microUSB v2.0, Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 (If it is possible to enable USB OTG do it)
  • Non-replaceable Li-Ion 2000 mAh battery
  • Polycarbonate Uni-Body (think L920)
  • Black, White, Gray, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple

If you could bring that in at $150 USD or less...

Who is down for this???

Last edited:

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
How about a normal lineup just for starters? Start having a budget phone, a midranger, a highend, a crazy highend.

Do some decent design and put some decent batteries.

Then market them as hell. In this overcrowded market only marketing will sell, we don't know if they have the money, it sure looks like they don't...if that's the case we'll have the next BLU company, i.e. decent phones that won't sell much.

What I want to say is that you are proposing a lot of hardware configurations, nothing new about them. They are ok.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree Paolo...

But it's still fun to try and guess what would sell and try and get feedback on it.

The press that WhartonBrooks and Cerulean put out states:
The innovations we are bringing to our devices will be the most disruptive since the advent of the smartphone in 2000. The key to our success is the incorporation of your feedback into our products. We want you to love our products and enjoy the experience. Our customers (current and future) have direct access to our engineers, developers, and support teams. This technological disruption (our new path for consumers) is guiding the development of WhartonBrooks and our Cerulean smartphones. With an unbelievable drive to succeed, WhartonBrooks strives to create the best devices for our customers.

They seem to be ground up guided by fans of the platform and willing to listen.

But hey, I'm just interested and trying to create some buzz while we wait to see what starts unfolding this fall.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Dual cameras would be great. My job gave me an LG G5, and I thought the dual cameras were cool but nothing useful at first. I took it with me on a trip out of the country for a couple of weeks and was amazed at how useful the wide angle camera was. It took amazing landscape photos, and made group photos easy without needing to cram people into the photo. It was great for capturing real moments without needing to stop the moment and get people to squeeze together. Very useful feature. And fast.

If I could get a second camera for wide angle photos, I'd be happy.

And as a much needed bonus: fast picture-taking. My Icon is unbearably slow at focusing and taking photos.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos