WhartonBrooks

atlan1504

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
I may have missed something, but what happened to WhartonBrooks Windows Phone? Apparently they didn't like what phones they got? At least it's been pretty quiet. Does anyone have any info?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So... a couple of weeks ago the engineering samples were shipped out from China.

Here's my guess on what happens.
  • The phones have to get recieved
  • The phones have to get tested with various SIMS for the target carriers in the target markets
  • The phones have to pass the engineering test by functioning with the correct SIMS inserted
  • The phones pass
  • The phones then have to get certified to operate within the target countries by the appropriate government agencies
  • After the certification comes a production run. I mean, why would you pay for 10s of thousands of phones until you know you can offer them for sale in your target markets?

This isn't going to be as fast as some people assume it will be...

You may still #ColorMeCerulean

atlan1504

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
That certainly makes sense.
Mr Murphy (CEO) made it sound easier (maybe just to my ears; I am no nativer speaker). On Jan 19 he said, and I am paraphrasing: the phones should be there within 10 days and we'll do a test to see if US carriers' SIMs work. If all goes well, we'll tell the full story.

Assuming the shipping went well, they have the phones for almost 20 days now. As we didnt hear anything, I thought that would put them past the all-goes-well milestone, i.e not all went well.

With your explanation, I guess we'll have to wait longer.

Last edited:

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Well, as a W10M fan, patience is a virtue. Remember our sacred mantra: soon™ and 'in the right time'™

Jokes aside, testing will be very hard for Whartonbrooks, I presume, especially since this company is a recent startup and is run by very few people relative to other phone companies i.e. Apple, Samsung, HTC, etc.

Let's just wait 6 more years and hope for the best, as we always do.

HM84

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Well, as a W10M fan, patience is a virtue. Remember our sacred mantra: soon™ and 'in the right time'™

Jokes aside, testing will be very hard for Whartonbrooks, I presume, especially since this company is a recent startup and is run by very few people relative to other phone companies i.e. Apple, Samsung, HTC, etc.

Let's just wait 6 more years and hope for the best, as we always do.

That's a long time even for the WP/WM faithful. NuAns, the Japanese manufacturer of the Neo W10M phone, have reportedly switched to Android for their next project because there wasn't enough demand for their existing device. OP is probably concerned that this could be the next McLaren, or... Duke Nukem Forever. (shudders)

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
That's a long time even for the WP/WM faithful. NuAns, the Japanese manufacturer of the Neo W10M phone, have reportedly switched to Android for their next project because there wasn't enough demand for their existing device. OP is probably concerned that this could be the next McLaren, or... Duke Nukem Forever. (shudders)

Duke Nukem Forever actually was released. And it was terrible. So being skeptical for WhartonBrooks is warranted, even their email sign up link is not found on their website. Who knows, WB really could be the Duke Nukem Forever of the phone world. Or, it could be an absolute sensation and save Windows phone. Nobody really knows. All we can do now is wait and wonder.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
would be nice for a taste of information :) Especially since last month, they seemed to want to try to improve their communication.
@Ryujingt3 the sign up is right on the main page scroll down.
I signed up back in August. Any reason that we should register again on the cerulean site? Shouldn't make a difference being a sub-site with same domain and that they just moved the sign up to that site

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
@Nate W no idea, they should have the emails already I would think.

I know they say Microsoft keeps telling them not to say too much, but is it too much to know if it's regulatory process or simply bad news?

oh well :)

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
@nate-w no idea

FYI, if you want to use the new mentions feature... Type the member name exactly including spaces and the forum will auto-magically make the link and notification.

@mistagreg has stated recently that they have been advised to remain more low key until they have a confirmed release... That advice seemingly came before they switched up the plan to include CDMA/LTE 13 and move from US to a 5 country target (US/Canada/Mexico/Brazil/Bolivia).

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site

The 6 years I was referring to is actually another joke, in case you don't realize it by now :)

FYI, WP/WM faithful has been waiting for WP/WM to become the next big thing since it's inception 6/7 years ago, and around the same time frame, has been waiting for this fabled "dream-device" dubbed the Surface Phone. So, the 6 years of waiting that I mentioned is indirectly making fun of the community, myself included, for being one of those with the 'wait for it. It'll get better' mindset, which is neither right or wrong. :)

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The 6 years I was referring to is actually another joke, in case you don't realize it by now :)

FYI, WP/WM faithful has been waiting for WP/WM to become the next big thing since it's inception 6/7 years ago, and around the same time frame, has been waiting for this fabled "dream-device" dubbed the Surface Phone. So, the 6 years of waiting that I mentioned is indirectly making fun of the community, myself included, for being one of those with the 'wait for it. It'll get better' mindset, which is neither right or wrong. :)

Maybe you should have said 60. 6 maybe looks too realistic lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos