My take on the Cherry Mobile Alpha Luxe

Raijin99

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Damn! Based on the article here at Windows Central, seems that the Lumia 535 may be a limited edition phone like the Lumia 525.
Oh well...

PBNkapamilya

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
About the sound quality, have you tried using the in-ear headset that the phone came with? I found it surprisingly good for a pair of stock headphones, but then again I'm not much of an audiophile.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I tried it on store and while it has good low-end slam and top-end sparkle, the mids is lacking. Perhaps due to lack of break-in, but I'm not holding my breath.

Cheers.

Last edited:

jkbabiera

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Your review was one of the things I considered before I bought the Luxe. I am very happy with the battery life and build quality of the phone and surprised, to be honest. Cherry Mobile are not known to have quality phones. I just jumped ship from Android to Windows Phone and I am pretty happy with the decision. Although there are a few things that I need help with. Do you know the APN settings for Sun Cellular Postpaid? The hotline is completely useless. They do not know how to make it work. I tried copying my settings from my Android and searched google but with no success. Also, I wish I had known this, but I found out the hard way that I can't force my phone to pick up 3g all the time. It picks up edge most of the time (about 90% of the time), so no HSPA+ for me. But I need to figure out the APN settings first before I worry about the 3g thing. And how do I know if the Luxe got the 8.1 update or will it get one? It seems the OS version is different (based on screenshots) for those who got the update. Thanks.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
in the cellular + SIM screen, 3G connection really meant 3.5G which picks up H and H+ from my Smart LTE SIM when it is enabled. When you turn it off, it will limit the phone to pick up EGDE and GPRS.

It is marketed as Windows Phone 8.1 and you can check it in the phone information section of the About screen. The version on mine is 8.10.12393.890

As for the SUN APN, here's what I found:

Sun Cellular APN Settings for Postpaid

APN static: fbband
Authentication: PAP
IP address: dynamic

I am surprised the SUN cellular SIM did not automatically configure the right APN.

jkbabiera

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
3g is set to on in my phone but what I meant was that, in Android devices, you had the option to have your phone use 2g/3g or just 3g or LTE if the phone is capable. So, if you set it to just 3g and go to a place that does not have 3g coverage, you would not have service at all. In Windows, you don't have that option. It just lets you choose to enable 3g and let the phone pick up both 2g and 3g or if you disable 3g, you just get 2g. But I guess I just need to wait for the update from Microsoft since I read somewhere that the developer preview update had the option to force data/service to use 3g all the time.
Anyway, I finally figured out my APN settings. I just deleted whatever I put on it, restarted the phone, then put in the minternet for APN, the rest were blank, then Ipv4. It finally worked.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes you're correct on the settings on Windows phone. My Xperia V has 3G, 3G/WCDMA, WCDMA, LTE.

Glad the APN works.
Sent from my Cherry Mobile Alpha Luxe

5Zero1

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
It is great how you expressed your excellent experiences and encounter w/ the alpha luxe. I just want if someone did tried one of its featured function. My only reason why I got one is to possibly try the PROJECT MY SCREEN: To TV, Monitor & Projector.
As for my hobby of teaching & presenting relevant topics on my chosen sports, Power Point of Microsoft has always been my partner on the go. Before when I'm using my Samsung ultra book, I walk along w/ my back pack, later I tried to got a Samsung Tab 7.7, I failed to use it on the go, since it cnt perform my effects & hyperlink, thou it works well with HDMI LCD TV Screen. I look for another smaller gadget & found out the Iconia W4 w/c works well for my purpose & retired my back pack by replacing it w/ body bag. Wonderful...but there were times of no advise that I have to make presentation were I don't have my body bag w/ me, so I have to hunt for lap top & hook my OTG flash..So just 6 days ago, I got got my Alpha Luxe w/ fortune that I cn do a presentation w/ just completely using my fone. I was attracted by one of its feature. PROJECT MY SCREEN to TV, Monitor & Projector, thou it is not capable of OTG, I'm wishing that I cn hook it up w/ LCD TV thru HDMI or USB and my be w/ LCD project w/ USB input.
First thing I did was to buy Micro USB to HDMI adaptor, but it didn't worked w/ my small primate project w/ HDMI.
Is there someone who did used it with the projector or TV monitor? Please help so I cn have my fone belt bag & rest ny body bag. P.S. I tested my ppt presentation & it runs well, so my next move is how to interface it with HDMI, USB TV input or USB projector.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Protecting the screen requires a host application that you need to install on your PC in desktop mode.

It is a Windows phone feature/limitation when using the USB cable, so the device is not at fault.

The Alpha Luxe does not support Miracast for wireless projection on Miracast- enabled televisions.

There is a thread about screen projection that you may want to look at.

a61b927da88854694b7fb8d089f60572.jpg

Have you used Office Remote? That's another cool feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Here is a screenshot of the Alpha Luxe running Office Remote and PowerPoint 2013 on the desktop controlled via Bluetooth.
44df92123516a191ea1f7a1d947d432a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JanZee

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for tjis review. Im stuck between this and Lumia 535.

Have you tried inserting a 64 GB microsd?

In the spec sheet it said up to 32 GB only. But its not always right.

Thanks!

Btw.
I have htc 8s before..
I thought it wont get any update so i hand it over to my younger brother. >.< how did u manage to update it? Io nly got 8.1 DP before.. But heard on the news that it wont be getting any further updates.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't have extra 64GB for testing, so I haven't tried.

My 8S is on developer preview, who knows maybe there will be some surprises.

Sent from my H60-L04 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Antonio Zamora

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
It really depends on the quality of the headphone you are using. The one that comes with the Cherry Mobile Alpha Luxe is no good (as what most other headphones that come with smartphones are.). I'm using a SoundMagic E10S in-ear headphone, a Grado Labs SR80e supra-aural headphone, and an Audio-Technica ATH-M50 circumaural monitor headphone -- all of which are not pricey. The Alpha Luxe sounds great on all of these.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05